Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 17 Sep 2011 (Saturday) 14:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pulling a "professional photographer" look.

parks
138 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 17, 2011 14:51 |  #1

I'm nowhere near pro, or will I probably ever be. But I am really curious. What do you guys wear while shooting sports? Here is one of me from last night. :cool: Not sure if I should wear that shirt?, “No cheering in the press box” is one of the oldest rule of sports journalism, and it's one that I agree with.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

L

sponsored links
Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,657 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 17, 2011 15:16 |  #2

Wear black at evening or night. You won't spoil the images of other photographers or call attention to yourself.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 17, 2011 17:19 |  #3

^^^ I agree, if you are in the background of all photographer's shots, black is the best way to blend in with the rest of the background.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 17, 2011 18:16 |  #4

First off, the "no cheering from the press box" rule to me is good...UP IN THE PRESS BOX, but when you're down on the field, and IF you are an actual sports fan, it's kind of hard NOT to get caught up in the excitement of the game. But of course make sure you still DO YOUR JOB!

As far as what to wear, the suggestions above are good.

One thing to note though, famed S.I. photographer John Iacono, who has photographed dozens, if not hundreds of professional boxing matches from ringside, ALWAYS wore a green polo type shirt so that his daughter would be able to "pick him out/recognize" him from the crowd, while watching the fights on TV. It was basically his "trademark". (For boxing matches at least).

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

Brandon ­ Anderson ­ Photos
907 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 17, 2011 19:40 |  #5

it all depends on what I am shooting, when I'm at the races i normally wear some sort of racing shirt, for football I have my canon vest on over just a black tshirt and for hockey I just wear a team polo shirt.

Gear: 2-1D MkIII's | 5D Gripped | 50D Gripped | Rebel 6.3 | 70-200L F2.8 MkI | 17-40 L F4 | 300mm f2.8L | 28-135 3.5/5.6 IS | Nifty Fifty | Canon 15mm 2.8 Fisheye | (2)Norman 400b | 430 ExII | Some Studio Lighting | Go Pro Hero | Go Pro Hero 2
Web Site www.ba-photos.com (external link)

karobinson
Goldmember
1,230 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 17, 2011 19:48 |  #6

I always wear black slacks, and white shirt with logo or a white shirt with a red vest with logo no matter what or who I am shooting. And heals....about 3 inches...kinda a trademark around here.....

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

parks
THREAD ­ STARTER
138 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 17, 2011 19:52 |  #7

I suppose I have to stop chimping too. haha!

L

silvex
Cream of the Crop
7,307 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 17, 2011 20:50 |  #8

for daytime events that the sun is out I wear long white shirts...nite events...black ninja.

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

Malsam
382 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 17, 2011 21:24 |  #9

Most of the time, something subtle yet respecting the occasion. If you want to be pro looking, you must understand the occasion before you ever step into it. This not only applies to the attire but the gears such as camera, bags, actions etc as well. I was questioned by end user why I'm not using something more appropriate in my very 1st commercial assignment. This is something that I take with me throughout all future ones.

For instance, if you are shooting musical or art concert, I will wear collared dull color tops with no jeans. I limit my flashes and get the silent shutter feature turn on.

I also have vest, bags and gear catered to certain occasions. Places where a photographer should be stealthy you don't want to bring your brightly colored bags, pouches, camera straps, camou lens cover etc. I conceal my white lens during these occasions but beef up on events that require me to stand out. Eg. for motorsports, high traffic high volume events which I will be wearing brightly color safety vest and striking tops to signal to people there is 1 photographer at work.

I used to have different sets of gear catered to different events. Eg. a billingham bag, pouches, leather straps etc. which I bought specifically for formal events. I sold some of it after thinktank comes out since most of their bags are executive looking and are good enough to bring into formal event halls.

This habit is still with me and I still keep some bags and accessories for certain occasions even though I no longer shoot professionally. I have my timbuk2, crumpler for fun loving occasions like going to some kids b-day party, fun loving occasions etc. Sports event like marathons, rock climbing etc I will bring the sporty looking ones like lowepro.

Gear Stuffs

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 17, 2011 21:38 |  #10

Whatever is clean and in my closet. I tens to wear a lot of black or white shirts.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

js-photo
39 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 17, 2011 22:06 |  #11

black or white

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,464 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 17, 2011 22:52 |  #12

Shooting sports, whatever is comfortable for the field. I am not there to impress someone, and it is not wedding that you need black dress ninja look.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 18, 2011 08:02 |  #13

i always try to wear dark colors. dark khaki pants and at least a polo shirt that is darker in color. and during the colder outside games ill wear a black northface jacket with khaki pants. and i wear dark color brown dress/work shoes. try to look respectful and presentable since i am on the field/court in front of people.

im surprised my school doesnt make me wear an athletic polo with our school logo and name on it since they pay me. but im glad they let me do whatever because i would prefer to wear a dark shirt over a white polo at a night game

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 18, 2011 14:14 |  #14

Dress your wage

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 18, 2011 15:28 |  #15

dress for the wage you want.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

sponsored links

15,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pulling a "professional photographer" look.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.