Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Sep 2011 (Monday) 18:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Cinematic" colors/hues and edits

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 20, 2011 18:42 |  #16

Eric Xu wrote in post #13135698 (external link)
I see high local contrast, a fine grain structure, understated flesh tones and the same teal push in the shadows and warm highlights I talked about before.

It's not just processing, but has a lot to do with lighting the scene. The film look is in a large part created on set.

Yeah, seeing a film studio setup or an outdoor filming setup can be pretty intimidating to a lot of us amateur photogs! Just thinking of the amount of production that has to go on so that a film won't just come across as crappy can, well, blow your mind. It's no coincidence that filming requires a whole crew!

Eric, nice to have you giving this kind of insight!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
kiss-o-matic
Goldmember
1,738 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 20, 2011 18:55 |  #17

Eric Xu wrote in post #13135698 (external link)
I see high local contrast, a fine grain structure, understated flesh tones and the same teal push in the shadows and warm highlights I talked about before.

It's not just processing, but has a lot to do with lighting the scene. The film look is in a large part created on set.

The main thing I see (and I could very well be wrong) is
-desaturation
-curves messed with (mainly blue) <-- again, this could be the lighting of the pic as you stated
-contrast
-maybe noise added

Eric ­ Xu
688 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 20, 2011 19:13 |  #18

Here's a cool example from Triune Films, the producers of Filmriot: Losses. Recent shoestring budget action short they shot. The scenes from the interrogation room and the bad guy's office show that kind of contrast through lighting look.

My Flickr. (external link) My Gear

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 20, 2011 19:57 |  #19

Erik, have you gotten involved in the Video sub-forum here? I haven't because I no longer have anything around that "does" video (my DSLRs are older). But it sounds like you would be a valuable participant there, if you aren't already:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,837 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 20, 2011 20:05 |  #20

Take a look at this video:

http://www.redgiantsof​tware.com/videos/redgi​anttv/item/23/ (external link)

to get a sense of how another pro (Stu Maschwitz)visualizes and produces the cinematic "look" - it may not be the look you are attempting to emulate (ignore the first minute or two of promotion) but he lays out his thought process in a logical and understandable way. While Maschwitz uses a particular tool in After Effects to get the look, the same generic tools are available to manipulate color in LR and PS.

Take a look through the videos in Red Giant TV to get similar tutorials by Maschwitz and others. Get's one thinking about cinematic color and grading and "looks."

kirk

Kirk
---

kiss-o-matic
Goldmember
1,738 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 20, 2011 20:26 |  #21

Eric Xu wrote in post #13136030 (external link)
Here's a cool example from Triune Films, the producers of Filmriot: Losses. Recent shoestring budget action short they shot. The scenes from the interrogation room and the bad guy's office show that kind of contrast through lighting look.

Link all bad. :(

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,837 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 20, 2011 20:51 |  #22

kiss-o-matic wrote in post #13136358 (external link)
Link all bad. :(

My link to the Red Giant TV episode was bad as well - try this:

i edited my post above as well.

Kirk

Kirk
---

mikewinburn
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 20, 2011 21:06 |  #23

Eric Xu wrote in post #13130668 (external link)
Either 2.39:1 or 2.35:1 is considered CinemaScope, which is my favorite aspect ratio.

I can show you guys my first film, which is a little rough and not my best work, but it shows what I'm talking about regarding framing and color correction. It's called iRelationship (external link). You have a lot less room to grade with HDV, which is what that was shot on (Canon XH A1). Raw files have so much more flexibility, plus stills are compressed much better than H.264. So the result is photographs will be much crisper and look nicer!

Quick example from a random shot on the Great Wall:

[IMG]]

telling story of technology and youth... umm... even adults!?! in some cases...
(by the by, 4:30 "....bring some money" on one phone, shows, "....bring some food" on the other phone).

very nice cinematography, Eric. Very good indeed :)

Gear: The Official Gear List / Market Feedback / Sig thread #2468
flickr (external link)
WinburnCreations (external link)

N.O.R.E.
THREAD ­ STARTER
763 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 21, 2011 13:30 |  #24

kirkt wrote in post #13136442 (external link)
My link to the Red Giant TV episode was bad as well - try this:

i edited my post above as well.

Kirk

tried to follow the "terminator" style from the video

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

FlickR (external link)
blog: www.tompiprek.com (external link)

Eric ­ Xu
688 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 22, 2011 00:22 |  #25

mikewinburn wrote in post #13136537 (external link)
telling story of technology and youth... umm... even adults!?! in some cases...
(by the by, 4:30 "....bring some money" on one phone, shows, "....bring some food" on the other phone).

very nice cinematography, Eric. Very good indeed :)

Haha, yes, that particular scene was rushed. As our crew's first endeavor focusing on the details wasn't an option with everything that was going on. Surprises myself as I'm a stickler for detail and the classic perfectionist. :P

Thank you!

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com …ature=channel_v​ideo_title (external link)

My Flickr. (external link) My Gear

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 22, 2011 11:50 |  #26

i think they turned out great. i'm going to try this one out later today...

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 22, 2011 12:50 |  #27

I always wondered how to get that cinematic look. I know you are all talking about CS for pp, but is it possible to accomplish this type of look with LR3 alone?

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 22, 2011 14:03 |  #28

boingy wrote in post #13145846 (external link)
I always wondered how to get that cinematic look. I know you are all talking about CS for pp, but is it possible to accomplish this type of look with LR3 alone?

For the tones/colors, sure! Then you can crop to your desired aspect ratio. For the border, you can use the LR plug-in Mogrify with good flexibility.

Tony

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 22, 2011 15:21 |  #29

tonylong wrote in post #13146138 (external link)
For the tones/colors, sure! Then you can crop to your desired aspect ratio. For the border, you can use the LR plug-in Mogrify with good flexibility.

I'm going to try and play around with it when I get home later tonight. I don't know if I have any past candid shots that would fit the cinematic look, but I'll take a look. I tried to dl the free version of Mogrify, but it didn't work for some reason...I probably installed it wrong and I kind of just forgot about that plug-in...I can add borders my ghetto way, by using MS Paint, which I've done for fun. I just do a background at 16:9 and then add the photo at 2.35:1 ratio.

From reading some of the suggestions given by Eric Xu and others I'm guessing to get this type of look in LR3 I would use the split tone by warming the highlights and blue/teal on the shadow...balance as needed. Play with curves, but unfortunately no R.G.B curves to mess with...Maybe add some contrast and play with the saturation/vibrance sliders...Add grain as needed. Make other adjustments as needed.... Of course the photo itself and lighting involved will play a huge role of how it will turn out.

Off topic, but my friend of mine got Perfect Layers for LR3 a while back when it was on sale, but then got CS5 and said he never even used it...He said I can have it so I wonder if that's worth using? I would love to just get CS5 right now, but that aint happening yet...

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

KJacques
39 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 22, 2011 15:41 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #30

Most movies today, esp. action pictures, thrillers etc. are going to a harder edged, Michael Bay look with deep teal shadows and almost orange skin tones. Some movies (Live Free, Die Hard) are pushing that extreme look. I'm not particularly a fan of this trend of color grading myself. For thrillers, I've always liked the fine line between beauty and horror and so decided that for my recently completed movie, a thriller, I prefered going back a few decades to the Vilmos Zsigmond, Brian DePalma etc. type of color and lighting look. I'm a bit old school so I think about the look of a film long before shooting it rather than trying to create it last thing in the computer.

Shot 2.35:1 using Technicolor Cinestyle.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i281.photobucke​t.com …kk218/sunhawk7/​sunset.jpg (external link)

http://i281.photobucke​t.com …nhawk7/Sequence​05_7-1.jpg (external link)

http://i281.photobucke​t.com …8/sunhawk7/Sequ​ence04.jpg (external link)

http://i281.photobucke​t.com …unhawk7/Sequenc​e02_3a.jpg (external link)

http://i281.photobucke​t.com …/beachgreenscre​en_out.jpg (external link)

http://i281.photobucke​t.com …8/sunhawk7/Sequ​ence09.jpg (external link)

http://i281.photobucke​t.com …awk7/Sequence01​_6_out.jpg (external link)

http://i281.photobucke​t.com …sunhawk7/Sequen​ce09_1.jpg (external link)

sponsored links

437,645 views & 133 likes for this thread
"Cinematic" colors/hues and edits
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.