Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 22 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 17:29
Search threadPrev/next

Flake solutions

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 22, 2011 17:29 |  #1

We all know models flake at times. But on my recent production I've had a much higher percentage of flakes than normal. So I've been thinking about possibly putting a clause in my contracts and having the models sign them before the shoot day, so that I can hold them liable for any loses incurred to the production should they decide to flake. It would work like a security deposit of sorts. If the model doesn't notify me of a cancelation at least 24 hrs ahead of time, I can go after them for rental, location fees, or any other expense that the production lost due to them not showing up.

So I was just wondering if anyone else has tried something like this before, and how it went over with the models?

JAE ­ Photography
108 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 22, 2011 17:39 |  #2

I can't see a model signing that. I know it's probably a rare occurrence, but maybe one time grandma actually did die and the model couldn't make it :) You just have to accept flakes and do what you can to minimize them.

If I'm pumping any decent amount of cash into a shoot I either hire a model or work with a model I know. For TFP with models I don't know I try and keep things simple. If they have worked with people I know before or have really good references then I might put some more into the shoot. Right now I'm working on getting together a small home studio so if a model flakes I'm out like 15 minutes moving furniture around.

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1926140 (external link)
http://www.jae-photography.net/ (external link) (nsfw)

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 22, 2011 17:57 as a reply to  @ JAE Photography's post |  #3

Well, there are always exceptions. If they really did have a medical emergency or death in the family and they have some sort of document to prove it then that would release them of any liability.

Of course it would be great to only shoot dependable models that I (or other reputable photogs) can personally vouch for, but I don't really have that luxury due to the nature of the production I'm running. So it makes things more difficult. I tend to think (though I may be wrong), that if the model wanted to get paid for the shoot, that they would sign such a clause.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 23, 2011 06:56 |  #4

Zero flakes in 2011. I require a 50% deposit for Client shoots and planing meetings for rare model test shoots. Planning meetings for test shoots help confirm all details of the shoot, the reliability of the model, and paperwork/terms. If the model or client has something to loose, they do not flake.

-Scott

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,316 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 23, 2011 07:54 |  #5

even a paid customer can flake, but your chances are greatly reduced because they have something to lose- $$. There is no sure fire way to get models to stop flaking. One way that helps is to get better at your craft, and hope they really want to work with you, not just agree to shoot because they have nothing better to do.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 23, 2011 13:12 |  #6

sspellman wrote in post #13150000 (external link)
Zero flakes in 2011. I require a 50% deposit for Client shoots and planing meetings for rare model test shoots. Planning meetings for test shoots help confirm all details of the shoot, the reliability of the model, and paperwork/terms. If the model or client has something to loose, they do not flake.

-Scott

I like that idea. I'm definitely going to start having planning meetings with new models, as well as testing my liability clause. That at least gives the model something to loose by flaking.

PosNeg
351 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 23, 2011 13:30 |  #7

My models ALWAYS sign a Contract To Appear, with monetary penalties if they don't show or are late.

They always sign the contract and they always show up on time. Period!

David M. Blecman
Positive Negatives
Annapolis, MD
http://www.posneg.com (external link)
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY UPCOMING WORKSHOPS

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,316 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 23, 2011 15:40 |  #8

PosNeg wrote in post #13151740 (external link)
My models ALWAYS sign a Contract To Appear, with monetary penalties if they don't show or are late.

are they paying you, or are you paying them?

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

PosNeg
351 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 23, 2011 16:09 |  #9

I use my contract for any models that are being compensated by me for a shoot.

For models paying me, I charge a deposit to their CC.

David M. Blecman
Positive Negatives
Annapolis, MD
http://www.posneg.com (external link)
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY UPCOMING WORKSHOPS

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 23, 2011 17:35 |  #10

PosNeg wrote in post #13151740 (external link)

That makes sense, and I'm going to start doing this. I have to.

2,105 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flake solutions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.