Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Sep 2011 (Saturday) 16:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Advice on Returning 7D for a 5DmkII

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 24, 2011 16:09 |  #1

Hi and please bare with me.

I currently do have a 7D and have had it for about a month. I like the feel of this camera and its multitude of features.

But I do not like the fact that I am forced to PP in order to get a sharp picture from a RAW photo. It drives me nuts.

I think I may be able to return this camera and get a new 5DmkII (currently at $2000 for the body) plus an L lens for what I paid for the 7D + lens.

I know I lose a bit wrt the AF of the 7D but I am sure I can still shoot sports with the 5DmkII - just may not get as many keepers?

So, even though the 5DmkII is older technology I do like the idea of FF and a sharper picture SOOC. Can someone please convince me one way or the other on what would be the prudent crse of action - stay with the 7D or go FF with the 5Dmk II.

My shooting habits are mostly family photos 70% and shooting my kids at sports (gymnastics/hockey. I would also like to do some landscape / BIF and macro.

Assuming I did go 5DmkII what would be the ideal L lens for around $1500 to go with it (CANON IS USM preferably)

Appreciate any insight.

Tony

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

sponsored links
Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 24, 2011 16:22 |  #2

Even images out of the 5D will need some processing to get the sharpest result from them. You may find that given your preferred subjects, the 7D is actually the better camera for your needs, and that your keeper rate from a 5D won't be as good due to the superior AF system of the 7D.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 24, 2011 16:33 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

General_T wrote in post #13156715 (external link)
Hi and please bare with me.

I currently do have a 7D and have had it for about a month. I like the feel of this camera and its multitude of features.

But I do not like the fact that I am forced to PP in order to get a sharp picture from a RAW photo. It drives me nuts.

I think I may be able to return this camera and get a new 5DmkII (currently at $2000 for the body) plus an L lens for what I paid for the 7D + lens.

I know I lose a bit wrt the AF of the 7D but I am sure I can still shoot sports with the 5DmkII - just may not get as many keepers?

So, even though the 5DmkII is older technology I do like the idea of FF and a sharper picture SOOC. Can someone please convince me one way or the other on what would be the prudent crse of action - stay with the 7D or go FF with the 5Dmk II.

My shooting habits are mostly family photos 70% and shooting my kids at sports (gymnastics/hockey. I would also like to do some landscape / BIF and macro.

Assuming I did go 5DmkII what would be the ideal L lens for around $1500 to go with it (CANON IS USM preferably)

Appreciate any insight.

Tony

5D classic is one of the sharpest FF cameras due to weak AA filter and has the same AF as the 5Dii, maybe get one of those to compliment your 7D. If you find your self never using your 7D, sell it, and then maybe look at upgrading to a 5Diii when it's released.

I know what you mean about IQ though, the 7D just isn't up to par to what it should be imo as it doesn't cope well at high ISO or when shooting wide open.
Such pixel density on such a small sensor is a real handicap, and requires top end glass stopped down a touch to get the best out of it.

40dbaby
516 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 24, 2011 16:47 |  #4

i say go ahead and get the 5d2...sounds like you have your heart set on it. I usually do very little if any post sharpening, but you gotta marry the 5d2 with good L glass. If you can only get one lens, then 24-70L, since you say 70% family shots; for sports though, you'd want to go longer.

better yet, rent/borrow a 5d2 to see if you do indeed use less PP to get your desired results. if so, dump the 7d.

some will say you have to better your techniques with the 7d or learn better PP skills...but most of us hobbyists with families / small kids dont have hours to sit in front of a computer learning /doing more PP. At least thats what I strive for, pics that require quick PP; my 2.5 yr old will not allow anymore time:p 90% of the time DPP is enough for me.

Only an untrained eye can appreciate the sharpness of a lens...
5DII | Zeiss 50 MP | Sigmalux | 85 1.8 | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 100-400L | 580ex II | 430ex II

miguelr
470 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 24, 2011 16:59 |  #5

Or maybe just spend more time and learn your 7D? This guy does amazing work with a 7D: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/matthewcoughlin​/ (external link)

miguelrphoto.com (external link)
flickr (external link)

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 24, 2011 17:01 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

And spends allot of his time sat in front of his PC sharpening soft images, and reducing noise.

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 24, 2011 17:02 |  #7

Sharpening takes literally 1/2 a second. I created an action for it so I'm just confused as to why the op thinks it's taking up a lot of their time..

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

mrbtd
418 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 24, 2011 17:20 |  #8

Don't forget you can add some sharpening in the
Camera. If u are using dpp and raw it will add the camera values for u automatically.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 24, 2011 17:35 |  #9

Go for the 5d2, you're clearly not happy with the 7d.This photography thing is supposed to be fun, and if you're not getting maximum fun from it that is possible, you need to fix what is wrong. This is fixable, just trade one for the other...

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 24, 2011 17:37 |  #10

Hi,

Yes I understand about the in camera sharpening. But I find most of the time I am using from 8-10 in DPP to get it reasonably sharp, usually I'll use USM though and turn threshold down to "0".

Thing is once I'm done then its off to PS CS5 for more editing including the High Bypass - which helps a lot. Thsi doen't take a whole lot of time - but does when there are a lot of pictures

I don't want to be doing this for each and every photo. I want minimum PP - ideally none.

Some have said that even with the 5DmkII some PP is required.

Is there no camera that will take a tack sharp picture (using correct technique) SOOC?? It seems crazy to spend $1000's on a decent camera and have to rely on PP to get a clear image. PP should be about changing color / being creative = not required to get a clear picture.

I have taken some sharp pictures with the 7D - but I never know just how much work will be needed until I have a look on the computer. Even on a tripod - with IS off - at higher ISO (1600) the picture is soft - but I guess that is more of a lighting issue.

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 24, 2011 17:39 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

^^^
5Dii will if you set it to 12mp as it downsizes the images, sharpening them in the process.
It might be worth setting up a light room pre-set for your images, then PP won't take much time at all.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 24, 2011 17:40 |  #12

General_T wrote in post #13156715 (external link)

Appreciate any insight.

Tony

just set the Camera RAW to a level of sharpening you prefer, (or any adjustment like levels, contrast, etc.) then you don't do anything other than converting to jpg

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 24, 2011 17:41 |  #13

General_T wrote in post #13156971 (external link)
Is there no camera that will take a tack sharp picture (using correct technique) SOOC?? It seems crazy to spend $1000's on a decent camera and have to rely on PP to get a clear image. PP should be about changing color / being creative = not required to get a clear picture.

A Rebel XSi (450D) and Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Canon 17-55 2.8 looks pretty sharp SOOC !

rhys216
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 24, 2011 17:41 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Only works in DPP.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,921 posts
Gallery: 1735 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 24, 2011 17:42 |  #15

General_T wrote in post #13156971 (external link)
Hi,

Yes I understand about the in camera sharpening. But I find most of the time I am using from 8-10 in DPP to get it reasonably sharp, usually I'll use USM though and turn threshold down to "0".

Thing is once I'm done then its off to PS CS5 for more editing including the High Bypass - which helps a lot. Thsi doen't take a whole lot of time - but does when there are a lot of pictures

I don't want to be doing this for each and every photo. I want minimum PP - ideally none.

Some have said that even with the 5DmkII some PP is required.

Is there no camera that will take a tack sharp picture (using correct technique) SOOC??

You want Zero PP?

Why not just shoot in *.jpg and up your sharpening settings? Don't forget to stick it on green box auto mode as well. I thought the only/primary reason to lug around all that weight and size (of a DSLR and its lenses) is so that you can eventually get the most out of your images. But it also meant you have to be willing to process your images to get the best results. If one is not willing to do that work (which is perfectly fine, since not everyone needs to be aspiring photographers), then why put up with the bulk/weight of DSLR/lens?

Grab a Fuji x100 and call it a day and save yourself the headache.

(off topic) Rhys, what happened to your d7000?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

4,534 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Advice on Returning 7D for a 5DmkII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.