Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Sep 2011 (Sunday) 19:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pocketwizard Flex or Plus II's

cobra0469
121 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 25, 2011 19:52 |  #1

I'm going to try a little off camera lighting very soon. I will be using my D3s and sb900. I'm going to purchase a basic Westcott 28" softbox and Manfrotto stand. I have intentions of upgrading to Einstein's in the future, but not too soon. May also add a Vivitar 285hv before upgrading to the strobes. I will mainly be doing portraits of 1-3 people, mostly family.
I can't decide if I want to stick with the basic Plus II's or the Flex. I like the Flex, but coming from Canon I know there were problems with interference. Would you folks recommend the Flex over the Plus II's? I have also considered other options, but have decided to use Pocketwizards. I also don't see any reason to use the Mini. The size is not an issue as far as I can see.
The cost difference is negligible, I want a product that will give me the most consistent results with the least headache.

Please don't hold it against me for switching to the darkside...

I appreciate any opinions/input provided!

sponsored links
SamFrench
876 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 25, 2011 21:23 |  #2

I recently went through the same thought process as you, and I opted to start building a wireless system based around the Flex TT5. I also have Elinchrom strobes and the Skyport system. I find for my work flow that I am very happy with BOTH wireless systems. And I have to thank a poster on this Forum who pointed out that I can use the Flexx with a Skyport stacked in it's hotshoe all on top of my Nikon hotshoe for even greater functionality in terms of "Hyper Sync".

I'm very happy with BOTH choices that I've made.

cobra0469
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 25, 2011 21:48 |  #3

It was pointed out to me that the Plus II will not allow me to adjust power settings when using the MC2 with the Einstein. This has me leaning towards the Flex.
I've also considered the Elinchrom 600rx system. I finally decided the Einstein will provide the simplest one strobe option. I've read threads regarding this over and over, which gave me have a headache!

SamFrench
876 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 25, 2011 22:08 |  #4

I understand your choice. I consider it luck when I walked blindly into a great deal on Elinchrom Style RX 600 and Skyport system (incl USB Skyport) as I had been looking at Einstein.
I think you will be happy with your choice.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,231 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 26, 2011 10:39 |  #5

Used to use mini/flex/ac3. Now use simple Plus IIs. This is with both speedlites and AB strobes. I like the manul power control option of AC3. Other things I care less. But problem was triggering when using my L358.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

cobra0469
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 26, 2011 18:19 |  #6

Thanks for all the opinions! I ordered a couple of Flex's today, along with the stand and softbox. I'm not 100% set on the Einstein's. Their my choice right now, depending on how long before I'm ready to "upgrade" that could change. I've also considered the Elinchrom 600rx using their skyport system.
I figured I'm better off to start small and work my way up.

sponsored links

1,106 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pocketwizard Flex or Plus II's
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.