Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Sep 2011 (Tuesday) 15:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what is the cheapest way...

ccc_javier
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 27, 2011 15:09 |  #1

to power 2 strobes... u know the cheap 50$ strobe with a stand that u usually have them plug in to your ac outlet at home... ?

could i use the battery of my car?

http://somephotosmiami​.com (external link)
NSFW

sponsored links
nrowensby
Goldmember
3,996 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 27, 2011 15:21 |  #2

My brother bought a car battery booster-box that has two AC outlets on it... You could look for one of those.

IMAGE: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516bhwq%2BzRL.jpg

--Nick's Marketplace Feedback--
[Insert witty quote here]

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 27, 2011 15:24 |  #3

Cheapest? Some hamsters in a turbine. Won't charge very fast though.

Gear List

ccc_javier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 27, 2011 15:58 |  #4

nrowensby wrote in post #13172329 (external link)
My brother bought a car battery booster-box that has two AC outlets on it... You could look for one of those.

QUOTED IMAGE

nice
thanka

NSFW

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 27, 2011 17:02 |  #5

Its very likely that the DieHard device doesn't include a pure sine wave inverter.
There has been a lot on this forum and others about potential damage to moonlights when using non-pure sine wave inverters. Proceed at your own risk.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 27, 2011 17:22 |  #6

ccc_javier wrote in post #13172267 (external link)
to power 2 strobes... u know the cheap 50$ strobe with a stand that u usually have them plug in to your ac outlet at home... ?

The cheapest way to power them is to plug them into your AC outlet at home.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

ccc_javier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 27, 2011 22:19 |  #7

Curtis N wrote in post #13172858 (external link)
The cheapest way to power them is to plug them into your AC outlet at home.

man...............
man............

cm'on

NSFW

ccc_javier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 27, 2011 22:27 |  #8

dmward wrote in post #13172779 (external link)
Its very likely that the DieHard device doesn't include a pure sine wave inverter.
There has been a lot on this forum and others about potential damage to moonlights when using non-pure sine wave inverters. Proceed at your own risk.

thanks for the warning

NSFW

5x5 ­ photography
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 27, 2011 23:39 |  #9

I bought a Samlex 300 watt pure sine wave inverter. When I can get my car close enough I will hook the inverter to the battery. If that wont work I have a small car battery that I can put in a rolling bag (big enough for the inverter, battery, and cords) that I can bring on site.
This was much less expensive than a vagabond and I have powered 1 AB 800 and 2 AB 400s through several shoots in a single day and always had power.
This also has the benefit of me being able to plug in my computer and charge batteries on site.

My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/ (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 28, 2011 01:24 |  #10

You should know a couple things,

1) Pure sine waves play much better with electronics, especially cheaper electronics.

2) Car batteries are not deep cycle batteries, the difference is that they will suffer heavy memory effect and become useless much much sooner.

Proper DIY projects for this sort of thing to get (reliable enuogh by DIY standards) power runs generally around 200$ all parts in, the vagabond mini is like 240$ if you are in the states its a no-brainer.

Elsewhere heres some basic things to get you started:

-Pure Sine wave (Samlex is generally well regarded, you'll probably want at least the 300w model as you need to check the PEAK charge)
-Deep cycle batteries, these are usually SLA, pretty heavy, lots o power, they run around 30-60$
-Smart charger with trickle charging for your battery
-Fuse, best is 2 fuses, one from the inverter to the strobe, and 1 from the battery to the inverter, this is even though the inverter generally already has one.
-Get good Gauge wire, strobes pull ALOT of power, be safe.

Talking about safety, make sure to have a switch in between the battery and inverter to be able to turn the power off whenever not in use.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

ccc_javier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 28, 2011 13:37 |  #11

Csae wrote in post #13174767 (external link)
You should know a couple things,

1) Pure sine waves play much better with electronics, especially cheaper electronics.

2) Car batteries are not deep cycle batteries, the difference is that they will suffer heavy memory effect and become useless much much sooner.

Proper DIY projects for this sort of thing to get (reliable enuogh by DIY standards) power runs generally around 200$ all parts in, the vagabond mini is like 240$ if you are in the states its a no-brainer.

Elsewhere heres some basic things to get you started:

-Pure Sine wave (Samlex is generally well regarded, you'll probably want at least the 300w model as you need to check the PEAK charge)
-Deep cycle batteries, these are usually SLA, pretty heavy, lots o power, they run around 30-60$
-Smart charger with trickle charging for your battery
-Fuse, best is 2 fuses, one from the inverter to the strobe, and 1 from the battery to the inverter, this is even though the inverter generally already has one.
-Get good Gauge wire, strobes pull ALOT of power, be safe.

Talking about safety, make sure to have a switch in between the battery and inverter to be able to turn the power off whenever not in use.

thanks
and wow... i guess i need to check into vagabonds

NSFW

sponsored links

1,328 views & 0 likes for this thread
what is the cheapest way...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.