Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Sep 2011 (Tuesday) 15:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which lens would you keep?

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 27, 2011 15:19 |  #1

Let me start off by saying im expecting most people to reply with, "omg get rid of them".

They were given to me for free and since i am tight on funds i would LIKE to make use of both of them, just as alternatives to my kit lens.

As both are 28mm i don't need both and further complicating things is the fact that i believe on is an MD mount and the other a K-mount.

Im not even 100% but i know im not going to buy two seperate adapters for two cheap lens.

Especially since you lose infinity focus etc.

So that is where you guys come in....

Obviously it makes sense to go with the one that fits an adapter which will also fit a plethora of other "better" lens down the road so i can always adapt other lens. Im kinda feeling this old school lens idea.

So one is a Wide Angle and the other a macro....since infinity focus is an issue i feel like maybe the macro is the one to keep?

of my two, the wide angle is BRAND NEW...i opened it right out of the box and its in great condition.

The macro has been used and it is rough on the exterior but the glass looks to be in good condition.

So here are links to both the lens on ebay so you can see info quickly....

I hope that posting these links is ok, if not ill remove them.

http://www.ebay.com …enses&hash=item​3cbc0ba4f2 (external link)
CPC Auto 28mm macro

http://www.ebay.com …enses&hash=item​2a1454484d (external link)

Promaster spectrum 7 28mm.

So ya please help me out, as i would like to try and sell one to add money towards a flash which i really want(or both of if you guys think both are useless)

I have been eyeing some Zeiss glass like the 50mm 1.7 and some other FD mount stuff but i don't want to go crazy with lens yet if i can enjoy what i have since im still learning.

Thanks!!

Canon EOS 5D EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Yongnuo YN560 | Canon Speedlite 420 EX

sponsored links
botw
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 27, 2011 15:28 |  #2

omg get rid of them. Sell both and put the funds towards a flash.

Also, don't go FD mount unless you are using an FD mount body. There are easier lenses to adopt.

www.gc5photography.com (external link)

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 27, 2011 15:31 |  #3

The first lens is a FD mount and the adapter to EOS mount is around $40.00. http://www.amazon.com …inity-Focus/dp/B001D8X72G (external link) The Olympus mount to EOS adapter is around $20.00. I would really get rid of both as they aren't really worth putting more money into them to buy the adapters.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 27, 2011 15:35 as a reply to  @ Saint728's post |  #4

free ain't free if you have to purchase adapters. Strikes me as if this has DEAD END written all over it.

Take them to a camera store or to KEH http://www.keh.com …LH7rZmjvqsCFYjt​7Qoda0tfzg (external link) and see if you trade them in or sell them.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,479 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 27, 2011 15:39 |  #5

28 mm is not wide, nor macro.
You just wasting money. Use 18mm at kit lens for wide.
And get Nifty-Fifty with extension tubes or Raynox lens for macro if you want to stay at low price and learn something rather then how to waste money.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sardines
171 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 27, 2011 15:53 |  #6

Sell them both. Not worth buying adapters, and the hassle of using them.

Springfield Armory Range Officer .45ACP /// Springfield Armory XDM 5.25" 9mm /// Ruger SR22 /// Ruger 10/22 Takedown

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 27, 2011 16:58 |  #7

Dump them both. Not worth investing money in adapters. Buy a flash.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,093 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 27, 2011 17:12 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #8

Neither...

Your 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens will serve you better than either or both of these lenses. I doubt if you will get much money for either if you sell it. Perhaps craigslist might be the way since it is free to post.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
THREAD ­ STARTER
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 27, 2011 17:53 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #9

Damn that bad eh?

Shucks!

Well ok, ill try to dump them and either get a decent zoom lens or a flash!

Cheers!

Canon EOS 5D EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Yongnuo YN560 | Canon Speedlite 420 EX

sponsored links

1,194 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which lens would you keep?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.