Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Sep 2011 (Tuesday) 22:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DXoMark

KarlGB77
556 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 27, 2011 22:52 |  #1

http://www.dxomark.com …enses/Camera-Lens-Ratings (external link)

Does anyone have comments about the way this site rates Canon Lenses?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Canon 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, T2i (2), 24-105 f4LIS, 17-40 f4L, 70-200f4L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 100 2.8, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 50 1.8, 15-85 f4-5.6 IS, 60 2.8, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 430 EX II, 580 EX II, Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod w/ 498RC2, Calumet 8121 Tripod, Manfrotto 679B Monopod w/ 234 RC2 head

sponsored links
newworld666
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 28, 2011 03:35 |  #2

Rating is not really interesting, I would even say that each lens can be used with different ways and be perfect for some uses and less than good for other.
They don't test Auto focus speed and accuracy at all, which can be really important (size, weight, colours are other parameters important not taken in account) .

BUT, I would say, that we could say that their measures are much more scientific than others. As far as I could compare with my own experience with my lenses (non scientific) I really trust their sharpness profiles, vignetting and CA fields map.
They only tested a few lenses, but measurements are really interesting ... scoring ????? I didn't understand why they try to do it.

Marc
5DMKII+1Dx 24L1.4II 85L1.2II 180L3.5 300F2.8nonIS TC2XII ..... Sigma14F2.8AFDG, Zuiko 500F/8 Reflex
http://myc-photos.eu (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 28, 2011 05:49 |  #3

Rating is not really interesting, I would even say that each lens can be used with different ways and be perfect for some uses and less than good for other.

Ditto.

If you see anything with DXO in the name, it probably involves lots of number-crunching that has little to do with real photography. The only two sites I visit anymore if I want to get details on a lens are The Digital Picture (external link) and Photozone (external link), both have objective, subjective and in-use examples.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 28, 2011 06:15 |  #4

I peeked around this site for the first time yesterday and found the 70-200 II review to be off-pudding to me. It did not score very high, and that lens is incredible. I will take their reviews with a big box of kosher salt. I prefer photozone and digital picture. I did not agree with a few of the reviews for many of the lenses I have owned.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 28, 2011 06:54 |  #5

It looks like they test at one subject distance only which, to me, means the high level of precision and detail they provide is of limited use. In my experience lenses do not perform the same at all distances. I've often compared lenses and found that the better lens at short to medium distance is not necessarily the better lens at long distance.

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,262 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 28, 2011 07:25 |  #6

I like the DXO site but then I am an engineer and I do want to know the cold hard numbers. I agree with others that there is more to a lens than just it's optical properties but I find their data very useful as it removes emotion from the equation.

However, I would never use just their data in selecting a lens. It's a great data point but that's all it is. You still need to couple their data along with other review sites to get an overall picture on how the lens will peform in the real world.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,189 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 28, 2011 07:38 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #7

Personally i have always found SLRGEAR to be accurate in there testing and rely on them & Photozone prior to purchasing or renting.

http://www.slrgear.com​/reviews/index.php (external link)

Regards, Ron ;)

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 28, 2011 08:30 |  #8

There's definitely something wrong when the ultra-sharp EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II scores lower on resolution than the original 70-200 f/2.8 IS, or even the EF 28-135 IS. It's also suspicious that the excellent EF 100 Macros (L and non-L) scored so low in resolution. Numbers are fine, but garbage in, garbage out. I suspect something is amiss in their testing procedures.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 28, 2011 08:38 |  #9

I agree... Many of the lenses tested make little sense.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

KarlGB77
THREAD ­ STARTER
556 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 28, 2011 19:16 as a reply to  @ Invertalon's post |  #10

Thanks for the replies.
Made no sense to me either.

Thanks for the links posted to other sites.

Karl

Canon 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, T2i (2), 24-105 f4LIS, 17-40 f4L, 70-200f4L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 100 2.8, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 50 1.8, 15-85 f4-5.6 IS, 60 2.8, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 430 EX II, 580 EX II, Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod w/ 498RC2, Calumet 8121 Tripod, Manfrotto 679B Monopod w/ 234 RC2 head

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 28, 2011 19:26 |  #11

DxO measures something very rigorously. The problem is, whatever it is that they are measuring has nothing to do with what I'm looking for as far as I can tell.

I've compared their sensor data with cameras I've actually used and all I can say is that their ratings never match my actual experience. The biggest one for me was when I directly compared my BIL's Nikon D90 (a camera that was absolutely top rated at the time) against my 5D and 1D3. My experience with these three cameras did not match DxO's ratings in any way.

Now I look at their lens ratings and it's more of the same. What are they rating? It sure has nothing to do with what I'm looking for.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

KarlGB77
THREAD ­ STARTER
556 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 28, 2011 20:21 |  #12

I have a 85 1.8 and I also have the Big Dog. 70-200 2.8 II and the rankings were ridiculous.

I mean, they have the 85 1.8 as the highest.
I know it's nice but.......

Is there something else going on with those guys or is it just a big mystery?

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,262 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 28, 2011 20:30 |  #13

JeffreyG wrote in post #13178831 (external link)
Now I look at their lens ratings and it's more of the same. What are they rating? It sure has nothing to do with what I'm looking for.

They define (external link)very clearly their test methodology (external link). Their scoring (external link)explained as well. The data is geared towards engineers and not photographers but it is an accurate data point. As I said earlier, it wouldn't be the only source I would use, but I don't discount it either.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

bcd01
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 28, 2011 20:37 |  #14

I don't believe that DxO really 'rates' lenses. The purpose of their efforts is too make appropriate 'calibration' of the match between camera bodies and lenses and then in their software adjust for best image quality based on their calbrations.

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 28, 2011 20:44 |  #15

gjl711 wrote in post #13179114 (external link)
They define (external link)very clearly their test methodology (external link). Their scoring (external link)explained as well. The data is geared towards engineers and not photographers but it is an accurate data point. As I said earlier, it wouldn't be the only source I would use, but I don't discount it either.

Except I am an engineer. And their ratings do not match my own real experiences.

I'm more familiar with their sensor ratings than their lens ratings. I have owned or used several of the cameras they rated, and I know that if I make equal sized prints from several of these and directly compare the prints, it is very quickly obvious that the DxO ratings on sensors have no bearing on this outcome.

So they are indeed rating something. But it does not match what I am using the cameras for.

My suspicion on the camera ratings is that their values are related to per pixel performance or some such meaningless thing. I can tell you for sure than in print their better rated sensors often are much worse than lower rated sensors in direct comparisons.

I think DxO has a major internal flaw in creating measurements that correlate with what photographers want.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links

2,830 views & 0 likes for this thread
DXoMark
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.