Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 28 Sep 2011 (Wednesday) 20:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

my first e session

Tjh1023
60 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 28, 2011 20:16 |  #1

Please don't beat me up to bad :o

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Leica CL, Voigtlander 21 1.8, 35 2.5, Leica summocron 50, Elmarit 90 and 135, Canon FD 300L,3 yn-560II,Nikon sb 24/29 (the strobest dream), multiple modifiers
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tjh-photography/ (external link)
http://www.tjh-photography.tumblr.com (external link)
http://www.twitter.com​/tjhphotography (external link)

sponsored links
Tjh1023
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 28, 2011 20:19 |  #2

and 2 more

I had to remove these two ill try and link them asap

Leica CL, Voigtlander 21 1.8, 35 2.5, Leica summocron 50, Elmarit 90 and 135, Canon FD 300L,3 yn-560II,Nikon sb 24/29 (the strobest dream), multiple modifiers

Alan ­ Rubio
837 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 28, 2011 20:31 |  #3

Congrats on your first session! The grooms shoes bother me though, thought of fixing it?

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -Howard Thurman

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 28, 2011 20:36 |  #4

Don't be offended, just learn and move on..

1) Dream effect is overplayed and looks tacky. We spend lots of money to get the sharpest shot only to blur it to a mushy mess?

2) Doesn't do much for me. Not bad, not good but just a little plain.

3) Her face is hidden by his face, which is oof.. this is what we call a throw away.

4) Harsh lighting and shadows from her hair on her face are distracting and they seem a little blown out but that could be the monitor at work.

Keep it simple. If you're not comfortable with using a flash or lighting then go with the natural light during golden hour. It's virtually fool proof and won't have the issues that are presented above.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

Tjh1023
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 29, 2011 05:02 |  #5

ni$mo350 wrote in post #13179138 (external link)
Don't be offended, just learn and move on..

1) Dream effect is overplayed and looks tacky. We spend lots of money to get the sharpest shot only to blur it to a mushy mess?

2) Doesn't do much for me. Not bad, not good but just a little plain.

3) Her face is hidden by his face, which is oof.. this is what we call a throw away.

4) Harsh lighting and shadows from her hair on her face are distracting and they seem a little blown out but that could be the monitor at work.

Keep it simple. If you're not comfortable with using a flash or lighting then go with the natural light during golden hour. It's virtually fool proof and won't have the issues that are presented above.

Thank you

I am still learning !

1 won't use that again
3 I was worried about that just really liked the look on his face as she gave him a kiss
4 I had just calibrated my monitor guess I better check it.
Shot these at sunrise before they had to go to work using a reflector and flash with ETTL

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 29, 2011 06:28 |  #6

Moderator's note: Tjh, can you link the images on the 2nd post, please? We have image posting rules here, 2 attached or 8 linked. Or 6 linked and 2 attached is okay. Otherwise, I have to take the 2nd post off.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 29, 2011 17:24 |  #7

These are a good start. As you do more of these you will figure out what works and what doesn't. For outdoor stuff I like to shoot early morning or late evening and usually have off camera strobe in a softbox close to the subject(s).

Try to pay more attention to the background because it plays a big part in the pictures. For example I wouldn't shoot them up against the wall because it is very busy. Instead have them pose a way from the wall and use a shallow depth of field to bring them out more.

These seem to be all candids which is fine, but you should give them some direction so that you can still get a good angle on each of them. Also if there is some sunlight positon them so it is a backlight and use flash to light them.

Just some ideas...keep shooting!

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 07, 2011 16:32 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

hey tim, tam here :)

dream effect. thing is about the comments and opinions on them here is that you are getting them from photographers who know better and/or are tired of them. Clients on the other hand don't work on photos professionally to realize whats better "technically". So my say on that is if the client really does like it(and believe it or not i find a majority of people i shoot liking it) go for it. Personally i don't try it much because its not as artistic to me, but there definitely is a "cool" factor.

the first picture. I think it would have been a good picture except the man is cut off. i see the rule of thirds you tried to apply here, but a lot of times with shooting 2 or more people in such shots as these, its good to keep it simple and leave them centered. Since there is some harsh shadows throughout both faces, you could better it by increasing "fill light" in post processing. Its one of the first steps i look into when processing people. White balance looks good and i noticed you said you calibrated one of your monitors. I saw one of your pictures from June and i could definitely see the difference.

the second picture. First thing that pops in mind is their body figure(from her body down) does not really captivate anything, thats ok! What can enhance the photo then is to crop tighter to just their upper body. If i were editing the 2nd one, i would crop in tigheter and then rotate the image a bit so it adds something. It is a very plain looking image and little crop adjustments certainly help.

definitely would invest in some yongnuo 560 manual flashes. $68 shipped on amazon!

Anyways, congrats on your first shoot and can't wait to see you progress in some other work!

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 07, 2011 16:55 |  #9

I'm sure women liked shoulder pads in the 80's but who are the pro's to tell them that they're out of style ;)

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

chrisvanbeekum
495 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 08, 2011 21:36 |  #10

the flash is to harsh on both .

5D MK II- 7D - /50 1.4 - 85 1.8 - 24 105 f4L "I WANT A 35L"

Tjh1023
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 21, 2011 18:00 |  #11

Thanks Tam it was great meeting a fellow potn member thanks for the pointers I am really enjoying the 1Ds and learning more every day.

stayhumble wrote in post #13218808 (external link)
hey tim, tam here :)

dream effect. thing is about the comments and opinions on them here is that you are getting them from photographers who know better and/or are tired of them. Clients on the other hand don't work on photos professionally to realize whats better "technically". So my say on that is if the client really does like it(and believe it or not i find a majority of people i shoot liking it) go for it. Personally i don't try it much because its not as artistic to me, but there definitely is a "cool" factor.

the first picture. I think it would have been a good picture except the man is cut off. i see the rule of thirds you tried to apply here, but a lot of times with shooting 2 or more people in such shots as these, its good to keep it simple and leave them centered. Since there is some harsh shadows throughout both faces, you could better it by increasing "fill light" in post processing. Its one of the first steps i look into when processing people. White balance looks good and i noticed you said you calibrated one of your monitors. I saw one of your pictures from June and i could definitely see the difference.

the second picture. First thing that pops in mind is their body figure(from her body down) does not really captivate anything, thats ok! What can enhance the photo then is to crop tighter to just their upper body. If i were editing the 2nd one, i would crop in tigheter and then rotate the image a bit so it adds something. It is a very plain looking image and little crop adjustments certainly help.

definitely would invest in some yongnuo 560 manual flashes. $68 shipped on amazon!

Anyways, congrats on your first shoot and can't wait to see you progress in some other work!

sponsored links

1,887 views & 0 likes for this thread
my first e session
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.