Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 29 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 09:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many photos do you provide for proofing

rhommel
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 29, 2011 09:38 |  #1

I would just like to get an idea what other wedding photogs are providing clients in terms of the number of photos for proofing?

Is 1000 too much?

Don't Click This (external link)

sponsored links
dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 29, 2011 09:40 |  #2

Way too much.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

rhommel
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 29, 2011 09:43 |  #3

Razeus wrote in post #13181704 (external link)
Way too much.

so what's your number in an average?

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 29, 2011 09:46 |  #4

I assume you mean digital and not prints?

Assuming jpgs, 500-700 is my average. If it's an extended day or there was a second photographer, it can easily reach 1,000, but that's not typical.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 29, 2011 09:48 |  #5

Peacefield wrote in post #13181745 (external link)
Assuming jpgs, 500-700 is my average. If it's an extended day or there was a second photographer, it can easily reach 1,000, but that's not typical.

Agreed.

rhommel
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 29, 2011 09:50 |  #6

Peacefield wrote in post #13181745 (external link)
I assume you mean digital and not prints?

yes digital. I always shoot with a 2nd photographer.

the reason I am asking is that another photographer told me that I provide way too much photos for proofing.

In an average, I do get the same amount (500-700) for a full day coverage from my camera, then I will add the photos from my 2nd photog.

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 29, 2011 10:03 as a reply to  @ rhommel's post |  #7

yeah, i'm typically around 1k-1100 for a full day shooting with me and my second shooter. i know it's too much.
but i have the hardest time reducing it any more than that.

i never tell them they'll get that much, but it seems to end up that way more than not.

i break them into different folders/galleries so there isn't just one folder with 1k photos in it.
this way it's not quite as overwhelming anyway.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

rhommel
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 29, 2011 10:22 |  #8

bigarchi wrote in post #13181811 (external link)
yeah, i'm typically around 1k-1100 for a full day shooting with me and my second shooter. i know it's too much.
but i have the hardest time reducing it any more than that.

i never tell them they'll get that much, but it seems to end up that way more than not.

i break them into different folders/galleries so there isn't just one folder with 1k photos in it.
this way it's not quite as overwhelming anyway.

ok, so i am not alone :)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 29, 2011 12:06 as a reply to  @ rhommel's post |  #9

haha, and i figured it was just me!
especially since most of the pros around here say "less is more" or "only give them your best".

but i have a hard time culling past a certain point.
and my wife is worse, she is always sneaking on to my machine and saying,
"you have to give them this one too!"

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 29, 2011 13:19 |  #10

For full day coverage, anywhere between 300-700. Typically around the 500-600 mark. I just delivered a wedding with 350 photos, and three weddings before that I delivered 3200 (multi-day).

When people ask me how many photos do they get, I say, "complete coverage". I learned that from my grade 11/12 english teacher. Whenever we had to write an essay, everyone would ask "how many pages does it have to be" and he always said, "Complete".

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 29, 2011 13:32 |  #11

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 29, 2011 13:54 |  #12

rhommel wrote in post #13181693 (external link)
I would just like to get an idea what other wedding photogs are providing clients in terms of the number of photos for proofing?

Is 1000 too much?

YIKES !!! Delivering 1000 or having the client pick prints from 1000?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 29, 2011 14:59 |  #13

Can we assume you are thoroughly culling first, and not just sending them everything that landed on the memory cards?

Delete anything and everything that's out-of-focus or just plain bad.
Black-flag all but the best ONE out of duplicate sets (e.g. burst-mode shots). Don't deliver three shots that are very similar, it just confuses the client.
Black-flag the ones that are not flattering to the subject - unpleasant facial expression, one eye half-closed, pinky finger up the nose, etc.
Black-flag the ones that are poor composition - wrong leading lines, limbs cut off, etc.

Take a break.

Go through them again, this time black-flagging everything that is not meaningful content. Tons of shots of Cousin Rob dancing with all the bridesmaids? Keep the single best, black-flag all the rest. Two shots of the flower girl going up the aisle, and three more of her coming back down the aisle? unnecessary. Keep the single best, maybe the two best if they are very dissimilar in poses and facial expressions.

How many are left after this process?

Take all the black-flag shots and archive them until after the proofs are approved and the final products have been delivered. [OPINION] Then delete them, keeping only the picks of the proofs.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 29, 2011 15:01 |  #14

Typically 400-500, but as low as 300 or as high as 600 occasionally.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

paul33
377 posts
Joined Aug 2002

Sep 29, 2011 17:08 |  #15

Shoot 1200-2000, deliver digital portfolio of 300-500 !

Nene Digital Wedding Photography (external link)

sponsored links

4,042 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many photos do you provide for proofing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.