Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Sep 2011 (Thursday) 21:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How important is 16-bit color processing vs. 8 bit?

wuzzittoya
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 29, 2011 21:34 |  #1

I have PS Elements 9 and it allows you to use layers, but only in 8-bit. You have to shift to RGB from Adobe color gamut and to 8 bit from the 16-bit (which actually is 14-bit, I know...).

I read that that is NOT the case in a full version of PhotoShop. I have a student at home so I CAN get it for student price (thank God kids actually occasionally can save you money - goodness knows they cost the earth to feed, clothe, educate, entertain...) but wasn't sure if switching to be able to use layers was costing me too much?

I thought about trying GIMP as an alternative but not sure if, since I'm not familiar with it, I would notice enough difference to find changes so I figured I'd ask people who are more experienced and may have had opportunity to use both programs.

Thank you in advance for any insights! :)

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

sponsored links
bboehm
706 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 29, 2011 21:45 |  #2

I use elements. Now that it supports layers, lots of people are going that route. Unless you're a pro or a PS fanatic, I don't really see the need to spend all the extra money on PS. I think it's pretty rare that you would ever be able to tell the difference between and 8 bit and 16 bit photo.

7D, 50D, EFS 17-85mm IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 2X Extender III, Calumet Genesis 400, Speedlite 430EX, Pocket Wizards

dave_p
675 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 29, 2011 21:51 |  #3

Does it affect the end result in the medium in which you most often view your work? I think you are the only one who will be able to answer that. You'll need to do a test or two.

Is the difference noticeable in the right circumstances? Yes. There it's a good write up over at Luminous Landscape or The Light is Right, I can't remember which. Will you notice it in what you do? Only you can say.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 29, 2011 22:05 |  #4

Well, let's see: if you shoot Raw, then you could ideally make the best use of your higher bit depth in the Raw processor. The Raw and the 16-bit image files have more "latitude" in making tonal changes without introducing artifacts of different kinds. So, for sweeping tonal changes, Raw is best, followed by a 16-bit tiff/psd.

From there, 8 bits can be used for a lot of things, which is why Adobe at some point just says "convert to jpeg".

So, in my opinion it's good to have a workflow where first of all you do everything you can in a Raw processor, things that can make good use of the greater bit-depth. In fact, you can even bring a tiff into your Raw processor if it needs more work in which 16 bit would benefit.

But, it seems smart to go to 8-bits fairly quickly once you leave the Raw environment, at least if your system and software is going to struggle with the huge files. When you have a 16-bit image with multiple image layers, RAM can struggle unless you are "fully loaded"!

Of course, if your 16-bit image has had "important' stuff done to it, then saving it as a "project file" before converting it could be wise!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,937 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 29, 2011 22:06 |  #5

First up, most of what you say sounds wrong to me. You're mixing up ACR and Elements, and you don't appear to know the difference between RGB (a generic way to represent color) and a color profile.

I suggest you work in sRgb, 8 bit mode. 16 bit mode is unnecessary for most things.

There are a dozen threads on this topic, a search will find some.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 29, 2011 22:24 |  #6

You know it's funny -- a number of days ago we had a big discussion about the 8-bit/16-bit issue here (in a no-longer-active thread). During the course of the thread, I did take a second look at my workflow which, for Photoshop was the "old school" approach of clinging to a 16-bit format.

I had that approach for some years, but hadn't given it much thought in more recent years, since I moved to Lightroom and simply stopped going regularly into Photoshop -- just for "special" projects.

And then a few days ago I had a "special project", a "focus stacking" project involving a series of 5 macro shots of a little spider. I loaded them all into Photoshop with my LR settings being 16-bit tiffs for Photoshop editing.

Well, they all loaded, I was able to load them and merge/blend/whatever, although on my 5-year-old PC the processing wasn't as quick as it might have been. Then at some point I was going to flatten the 5 layers for some quick final "stuff", and so before I did I saved the "project file" and then I went back to work.

It wasn't until later that I saw that the project file containing the 5-image layers was over 238 MegaBytes! It wasn't until then that I recalled the conversation, and considered the fact that I had done all the tonal stuff in Lightroom, and that the only things I used Photoshop for wouldn't have benifitted from 16-bit over 8-bit!

Ah well, live and learn:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,828 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 29, 2011 23:34 |  #7

tonylong wrote in post #13185192 (external link)
Ah well, live and learn:)!

Yep, I know as well that some old ways die hard! ;) Probably where 16 bit is very useful is for gradients and doing color moves.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

picard
Goldmember
1,996 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 29, 2011 23:42 |  #8

do medium format camera images process at 16bits ?

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 30, 2011 00:31 |  #9

picard wrote in post #13185540 (external link)

Well, MF bodies that shoot in Raw would I imagine have the same workflow once they leave a Raw converter. I don't know about the "native" Raw bit depth, though.

Tony

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 30, 2011 05:48 |  #10

picard wrote in post #13185540 (external link)

They often shoot a 16 bit raw.
The processing is usually done in a raw converter ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 30, 2011 07:53 |  #11

Okay - when I switch to 8-bit color depth I HAVE to be in RGB - Elements won't let me stay in Adobe colorspace when working in 8-bit (at least I could swear it made me switch before - since I only started working with it a lot in the past few weeks, maybe I'm mis-remembering an earlier issue and I should make sure I'm rigth on that). I was shooting in Adobe colorspace because I read I would have a wider gamut of colors to work in vs. RGB. However, if I require layers afterwards (which isn't often, but does happen), I end up having to switch from Adobe to RGB and then from 16-bit to 8-bit. I realize that color depth is NOT color space. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that part. 8-bit vs. 16-bit colors affects what range you have differently than switching color spaces, which actually changes which color shows up for what numerical value assigned.

The way I've read everything about post-processing, it seems to suggest you should do as much as possible with as much information intact as possible before resorting to limiting your settings, so I was wondering if I was possibly making things worse if when I resorted to layers and how cognizant I should be of the fact. However, the point about the file size getting so unmanageable is well taken, and it sounds like I'm best working with what I have because of the limitations of my hardware (if nothing else).

Thank you.

I guess the observation about the file size is important, and layers would make things pretty crazy pretty quickly. Since I don't have the money to invest in upgrading computer hardware it sounds like I should stick with what I have until I can afford a better work station.

I like to push buttons on thingies that take pictures. Sometimes I like to push other buttons, too.
I only bite on the second Tuesday of every week, usually only mean people - they kinda taste like chicken...
You can call me Wuzzi

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,444 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 30, 2011 08:45 |  #12

Bit depth (not "color depth") has nothing to do with color; it is merely the number of digits used to write each number. A 3 bit number is 101, a 6 bit number is 000101 - they both refer to the same color.

The color space is called sRGB, not RGB which, as Tim pointed out hours ago, is the generic name of a group of dozens of spaces - sRGB and Adobe RGB are two of them.

You can have 8 bit Adobe RGB and 16 bit Adobe RGB, just as you can have 8 bit sRGB or 16 bit sRGB or (if you have the software to write it) 32 bit sRGB. There just isn't any connection between bit depth and color space.

I was shooting in Adobe colorspace because I read I would have a wider gamut of colors to work in vs. RGB.

If you had 16 bit images you must have been shooting RAWs and converting to 16 bit because jpgs from the camera (and every other jpg) can only be 8 bit. In that case the fact that you had the camera set to Adobe RGB is irrelevant because you have to set the color space of the converted image in ACR. Adobe RGB's wider gamut is only a benefit if you can actually use those more saturated colors, i.e. a wide gamut monitor to display them and/or a wide gamut printer to put them on paper. Otherwise Adobe RGB is is likely to be more of a liability than a benefit.

At any rate, if you are in fact shooting in RAW and doing the heavy lifting in the ACR converter, you really do not need 16 bit for secondary editing.

Elie / אלי

wuzzittoya
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 30, 2011 10:28 |  #13

I am shooting in Raw... I thought if you shot 8 bit vs 16 bit you had a wider range of colors because of the number of colors available (but it was exponential and not twice as many) perhaps I've mistaken.

Raw is actually only actually 14 bit though, but 16 bits are available because of the nature of the way processors work - though I can't for the life of me remember why it goes 8, 16, 32, 64, 132, etc. etc... :P

That is true - I would convert to RGB for many options, but had read (and perhaps misunderstood) that shooting in Adobe was best because I then had recorded the largest options and they might change in conversion but since I had all the data there for Adobe and recorded, when I had an output option that could take advantage of the Adobe colorspace the data was preserved to be able to provide the image in that format at its best quality. Is that misunderstood?

Color space is the amount of tones you have to work with - there are different maps that have some overlay that is equal but there are different "fringe tones," so to speak - color that are available to one color space and not the other.

The number of bits recording them, I thought, actually limited how much you said about the color you were recording - more bits mean more information about the color, regardless of the color space it was in.

I had thought that if I had it left in Adobe colorspace in Elements it wouldn't LET me have an 8 bit depth, only allowed me to keep it at the 16(14) bit depth. As I said, I might be mis-remembering. Only recently have I begun using Elements that much and it was something I remembered from first working with it, so it could have been another operator error at the time that made me get things a little confused.

You can call me Wuzzi

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 30, 2011 13:00 |  #14

wuzzittoya wrote in post #13187181 (external link)
I am shooting in Raw... I thought if you shot 8 bit vs 16 bit you had a wider range of colors because of the number of colors available (but it was exponential and not twice as many) perhaps I've mistaken.

First of all, your choice of color space in the camera does not actually matter if you shoot Raw, and also has nothing to do with 8-bit of 16-bit.

A jpeg will be 8-bit and will be in whatever color space you set it to.

[QUOTERaw is actually only actually 14 bit though, but 16 bits are available because of the nature of the way processors work - though I can't for the life of me remember why it goes 8, 16, 32, 64, 132, etc. etc... :P[QUOTE]

Raw files are, well, different when they are not processed. For older Canon cameras they are "12-bit", for newer bodies they are "14-bit", but everything changes when you convert a Raw file to an RGB image, which is where you choose in Camera Raw to open/Save a file either as 8-bit or 16-bit. You can have a tiff or psd as either, but a jpeg will only be 8-bit. Either could be in the sRGB color space or the aRGB color space, 8-bit or 16-bit.

That is true - I would convert to RGB for many options, but had read (and perhaps misunderstood) that shooting in Adobe was best because I then had recorded the largest options and they might change in conversion but since I had all the data there for Adobe and recorded, when I had an output option that could take advantage of the Adobe colorspace the data was preserved to be able to provide the image in that format at its best quality. Is that misunderstood?

You're getting some terminology mixed up -- the choices in the camera are between sRGB and AdobeRGB. If you are shooting jpegs they will both be in 8-bit formats. In camera Raw (since you are shooting Raw) the image will be rendered initially as a 16-bit RGB file and you will be "working in" a color space that Camera Raw is set in -- the link below your camera Raw preview will show this as a "preference". It will also show you whether you will be 16-bit of 8-bit when you open the image in the Elements editor.

Color space is the amount of tones you have to work with - there are different maps that have some overlay that is equal but there are different "fringe tones," so to speak - color that are available to one color space and not the other.

It is true that the different color spaces have different "gamuts". The common sRGB and aRGB have different gamuts. sRGB is the "universal" color space that monitors, systems, viewing software and Web browswer are all able to handle. Adobe RGB (aRGB) is a "wider" color space that contains some brighter, more saturated colors. Yes, there are instances when you may want to use aRGB, but it will only help if you are working with those colors and have a way of "presenting" them -- a monitor that has a wide gamut and/or a printer that can handle the wide gamut.

The number of bits recording them, I thought, actually limited how much you said about the color you were recording - more bits mean more information about the color, regardless of the color space it was in.

I had thought that if I had it left in Adobe colorspace in Elements it wouldn't LET me have an 8 bit depth, only allowed me to keep it at the 16(14) bit depth. As I said, I might be mis-remembering. Only recently have I begun using Elements that much and it was something I remembered from first working with it, so it could have been another operator error at the time that made me get things a little confused.

The "bit depth" is another issue from the color space. The color space determines the "gamut" or range of colors, and like I said, there are some instances where a wider gamut like aRGB can be useful, although for general presentation, such as the Web, sRGB is preferred. So if you are using aRGB to process images, there is no harm there, but for most output you'll want to output/convert to sRGB.

Bit depth is different -- it affects how you can adjust your overall tones within whatever color space you are in. But, as we've said, since you are shooting Raw you can maximise your use of 16 bits in Camera Raw and for most uses just convert to 8 bits in the Elements editor.

As to layers iin Elements, I don't recall having to go 8 bits to use layers, and then I haven't used Elements since version 4 so I don't know what you can do. I also don't recall having to convert from, say, aRGB to sRGB. But for some things you do have to convert to 8 bits. And, for general output, you want to convert to sRGB.

As to color space, check your Camera Raw settings. Check the link below the preview -- does it show sRGB or aRGB? You should know what you are doing there!

Tony

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 30, 2011 13:47 |  #15

Bit depth is the amount of colors. Color space is the range of colors.
An 8bpc sRGB file has the same amount of colors as an 8bpc AdobeRGB image: 16-and-a-bit million.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

3,241 views & 0 likes for this thread
How important is 16-bit color processing vs. 8 bit?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.