Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 02 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 01:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So, Opteka made a clone of the Rode videomic.

ejackso1
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 02, 2011 01:08 |  #1

and it's only $80 on Amazon.com (external link)

I have to admit, I'm pretty tempted right now. I've been wanting a videomic for a while now, but $150 was a bit expensive for me. I like the $80 price point much more. I'm just trying to figure out if it's actually as good as the Rode though. I've only found one review (external link) so far, and it doesn't really say how the sound quality compares to the Rode. He says they're identical, but I'm a skeptical type of perosn who likes to see a comparison in these types of situations.

Either way, from that review I can tell that it's still much better than the integrated microphone (even though it had a hiss, probably because of auto-gain), no matter how close to the Rode it does or doesn't come.

Canon 7D | EF-S 18-135 | EF-S 55-250
Panasonic GF1 | Panasonic 14mm f/2.5

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 02, 2011 16:51 |  #2

So for the sake of $70 you would risk going for the cheap copy even though you know Rode has a solid gold reputation for build and sound quality? (and has a 10 year guarantee.) Sounds like a bit of a gamble to me, on the one hand you save $70 on the other you waste $80.
Sound quality is such a subjective thing that there is always the "What if" element. I bought a cheap mic which may, or may not, be any good but I know I won't be happy until I buy the Rode mic I should have bought in the first place.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 02, 2011 17:54 |  #3

Yep, cheaper product typically equates to cheaper materials.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

Down_Shift
Goldmember
1,315 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 18, 2011 11:16 |  #4

You men the video pro? Because the video mic is only 100 bucks

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 18, 2011 13:32 |  #5

Down_Shift wrote in post #13267685 (external link)
You men the video pro? Because the video mic is only 100 bucks

Good point. Even less reason to buy the copy.

John Sims

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 18, 2011 14:23 |  #6

Not worth it.

Mic's aren't like certain products where different brands are all made in the same factory using similar parts... all Rode mics are made by Rode at a Rode factory in Australia and they construct all the parts themselves. Opteka couldn't replicate the parts or fine tolerances that are involved in building condenser mics.

I'm afraid with mics, you get what you pay for, and after-market brands don't compete with trusted manufacturers.

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 19, 2011 01:04 |  #7

benesotor wrote in post #13268679 (external link)
Not worth it.

Mic's aren't like certain products where different brands are all made in the same factory using similar parts... all Rode mics are made by Rode at a Rode factory in Australia and they construct all the parts themselves. Opteka couldn't replicate the parts or fine tolerances that are involved in building condenser mics.

I'm afraid with mics, you get what you pay for, and after-market brands don't compete with trusted manufacturers.

uhh, you need to look at a pair of Rode NT-5's and then a pair of Studio Projects C-4's... as a bonus hint, the C-4's capsules fit onto the NT-5's. ;)

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 19, 2011 22:06 |  #8

Interesting Chippy. Are you saying that the Rode NT-5 is equivelent to the Studio Projects C-4 mic? I've heard SP mics before, but I have never heard the Rode NT-5. As far as the SP capsule fitting on the Rode pre-amp, any decent manufacture can reverse engineer a competitors product and build theirs to fit, but that doesn't mean it's the same thing only cheaper. How many companies have tried to duplicate the Schoeps sound and design for years and how many have really done it well? Yeah, I'm a big fan of Schoeps mics. ;) :D
I'll believe you if you think they are simular as I haven't heard both side by side. What's the cost difference?

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 19, 2011 22:08 |  #9

They come from the same factory, i'm 99% sure. They're pretty much the same cost, too. There was a really good thread about it on gearslutz a while ago.
i'm not saying they sound the same, I'm saying they are the same. They do sound the same though!

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

Dawie
75 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 20, 2011 05:36 |  #10

I have this exact mic, and was looking for a Rode - Opteka review just like you are.

I got the Opteka, and I can say I don't see/hear any difference in the mics. I have used the Rode before.

I say the Opteka is a good option.

http://davidswart.co.z​a (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/DavidSwartPhotograph​er (external link)

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 20, 2011 07:49 |  #11

In the UK the Opteka is £60 with a Dead Cat included. The Rode videomic + Dead Cat comes in at £102.

At £60 it is almost worth a punt as a consumable. However, I did get my TASCAM DR-05 for just £66 (awesome buy they are now £80+) but would still suggest the baby TASCAM or Zoom H1 is a more useful tool than either the Optecka or Rode Videomic in the first instance.

John Sims

gep01
248 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 20, 2011 09:59 |  #12

Chippy569 wrote in post #13276902 (external link)
They come from the same factory, i'm 99% sure. They're pretty much the same cost, too. There was a really good thread about it on gearslutz a while ago.
i'm not saying they sound the same, I'm saying they are the same. They do sound the same though!

Well I can't comment on the C4's but the NT5's are definitely made in the Rode factory in Sydney. It's possible that Rode make them for Studio Projects but I doubt it, there is certainly no shortage of factories in Asia making identical copies of many many things.

The Videomic, however, is made in China and it's quite possible that the Opteka is from the same factory, there is certainly no shortage of competing companies getting the same product from the same factory with their name banged on it.

6d | 7d | 24-105 f4L | 16-35 f4L | Σ 17-50 f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 II | Σ 10-20mm f4-5.6 | 70-300mm f4-5.6L IS
Website (external link) | Travel Photography Blog (external link)
Facebook (external link)

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 20, 2011 15:24 |  #13

gep01 wrote in post #13278989 (external link)
Well I can't comment on the C4's but the NT5's are definitely made in the Rode factory in Sydney. It's possible that Rode make them for Studio Projects but I doubt it, there is certainly no shortage of factories in Asia making identical copies of many many things.

The Videomic, however, is made in China and it's quite possible that the Opteka is from the same factory, there is certainly no shortage of competing companies getting the same product from the same factory with their name banged on it.

Are you sure it's made in China? The Videomic Pro is made in Sydney.

gep01
248 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 21, 2011 05:21 |  #14

benesotor wrote in post #13280623 (external link)
Are you sure it's made in China? The Videomic Pro is made in Sydney.

Definitely Chinese, "made in China" is proudly printed on the box, just like the "made in Australia" on the pro version and other Rode mics. As far as I know the videomic is the only Rode mic made outside of Australia, though I suspect the stereo version may be as well, though I don't have one at hand.

6d | 7d | 24-105 f4L | 16-35 f4L | Σ 17-50 f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 II | Σ 10-20mm f4-5.6 | 70-300mm f4-5.6L IS
Facebook (external link)

gep01
248 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 21, 2011 05:26 as a reply to  @ gep01's post |  #15

Actually, Stereo videomic is also made in Australia, so looks like just the standard Video mic isn't.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

6,539 views & 0 likes for this thread
So, Opteka made a clone of the Rode videomic.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.