Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Oct 2011 (Monday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What is your individual annual income?"
<$25,000
15%
$25,001 - $50,000
20.2%
$50,001 - $75,000
19.1%
$75,001 - $100,000
14.7%
$100,001 - $150,000
15.9%
$150,001 - $200,000
6.9%
>$200,000
8.1%

346 voters, 346 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the average individual income of members here?

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 03, 2011 16:21 |  #1

I'm just curious. What is the average individual income of photographers, both paid professionals and unpaid amateurs, on this forum? How is it that we fund our obsession?

I know this isn't a statistically sound survey. Debated whether to ask for household income or individual. I thought it'd be more interesting to ask for individual... Plus, people's income will change over time and I'm not putting a limit on this poll. Just sort of want to see a bar graph showing a bell curve or where the outliers are.

Then people can add color to their vote by posting some more detailed information, e.g. I collected plastic bottles and recycled aluminum cans to pay for my tripod... or I'm a poor college student who used a scholarship surplus to pay for my 60D... or I'm a stay at home dad, but I betrothed my youngest daughter to the son of a Canon merchant so I get free gear until she turns 18. :lol:

If you wish to maintain anonymity, perhaps wait for some votes before posting a response. :p

EDIT: I AM NOT THE FIRST PERSON TO VOTE. THAT'S WAAAAAAAY ABOVE MY SALARY.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 03, 2011 18:42 |  #2

Took out a loan from my parents about 4 years ago to grab my first stuff (and working at a camera store, the initial money took me a lot farther than normal; the extra BP-511s at the time cost me $8.02).

Between then and getting married, I would just save a week or two, and buy what I needed.

After getting married, I (unfortunately) voluntarily became more responsible for what gear I buy/think I need. The last time I bought a lens (the little EF-mount Holga, as I couldn't resist having it to my door for under $30), I told the wife, and she just looked at me like a cow looks at an oncoming train, and, very sweetly, asked "can you still afford the rent?" That girl practically thinks I'm loony for debating instead of buynig! :lol:

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 03, 2011 19:23 |  #3

I traded one red paperclip...

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

highergr0und
545 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 03, 2011 19:45 |  #4

It's a tough poll because it has really nothing to do with disposable income..... and the family component is tough. The second salary can really add a lot to the equation, but disposable income is the real kicker. My wife strangely thinks we need to save a ton of money for retirement or something so I get an allowance :) Let's just say it'll take me a REALLY long time to save up for some of the expensive glass, especially since I have a pretty bad golf club buying habit I'm working on curing and a jeep that I like to throw money into....

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 03, 2011 19:47 |  #5

Heh! Back when I actually had a job with an income, I was muddling along into photography, a bit at a time. Then things changed through a combination of things, I found myself making good money and also my love for photography was growing, and my collection of gear grew along with it.

Well, fortunes changed and now, well, I squeak by financially, and no longer dump money into the hobby. Fortunately, I am quite content with the gear I collected "back then":)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 03, 2011 20:27 |  #6

Another paid hobby (music) pays for all my gear. All I have to do is show up, play guitar and sing, take pictures during my downtime at the event and they give me enough money to buy gear on occasion.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

H2o4nyc
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 03, 2011 20:34 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #7

I make a lot of money, unfortunately I can't seem to keep any of it. My partners (The Bank, Uncle Sam, The Kids School & the Supermarket) have their fingers on my wallet. They can pick my pocket faster than a grifter on the Bowery.

H2o4nyc

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,733 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 03, 2011 21:34 |  #8

highergr0und wrote in post #13201200 (external link)
It's a tough poll because it has really nothing to do with disposable income.

I know it's a tough poll. It's imperfect. It's often said on this forum that photography is not exactly a poor man's hobby. I just wanted to get a sense of how true that is.

After I got married, when and how I spend my money has changed entirely. My rent's gone up 4-fold because I want my wife to be comfortable. All the while, we're trying to save up for a down payment. My income's increased, but my spending has decreased since bachelorhood.

Disposable income is very subjective. I just wanted to get a sense of where people objectively were. Another poll could ask what the household income is and even provide for deductions for each child... but I don't think that would provide much more insight. Rather, I think it's more interesting to see how people prioritize their spending or how they supplement the income to pay for the hobby (or profession, as the case may be).

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,064 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 03, 2011 21:56 |  #9

Something is wrong with the setup of this poll. Voters name didn't show up by the income ;)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

BaghdadFred
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 03, 2011 22:44 |  #10

hrmm a bit surprised that > 35% is reporting an income of 100K+

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,145 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 04, 2011 06:22 as a reply to  @ BaghdadFred's post |  #11

In commercial sales, last year was a bustout year. This year, it has reversed.

The only thing I can think is that last year people thought hey, it's a bad economy but things will improve but this year it's more like hey, it's a bad economy, it's not improving, and it actually looks like it may get worse. As a result, budgets have not only been reduced, but some were completely eliminated.

Website (external link) |

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,733 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 04, 2011 14:53 |  #12

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #13202797 (external link)
The only thing I can think is that last year people thought hey, it's a bad economy but things will improve but this year it's more like hey, it's a bad economy, it's not improving, and it actually looks like it may get worse. As a result, budgets have not only been reduced, but some were completely eliminated.

Interesting observation. Have people cut back on their spending on photography due to the economy lagging as bad as it has?

My reason for cutting back is because I got married. If I hadn't, I might still buy more.

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,268 posts
Gallery: 660 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 04, 2011 15:03 |  #13

Nathan wrote in post #13204733 (external link)
Interesting observation. Have people cut back on their spending on photography due to the economy lagging as bad as it has?

My reason for cutting back is because I got married. If I hadn't, I might still buy more.

Yeah its all pillow shams, bedding plants and matching towels for you now.

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

st3venb
211 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 04, 2011 15:06 |  #14

I work in IT (Senior Linux Administrator), and am the breadwinner for my household... (wife, and two dogs).

I pay all the bills, she buys the food and our maintenance groceries... We're a team so we discuss large purchases -- which is a good thing, cause I'm a compulsive spender and can burn through my fun money very quickly.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
my humble sites:
{flickr (external link) } { seeingflashes.com (external link) }

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,733 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 04, 2011 15:23 |  #15

I guess I'm the breadwinner... never thought of myself as that. After I got married, the sister-in-law moved in. It's the 3 of us. Yay. I pay all the bills, my wife buys the food and other household expenses. I'll fight for the restaurant bill. Sister-in-law pays nothing. Yes, I'm a little bitter... especially since she says she'll never move out.

Anyway... I'm an expensive shopper. I don't shop much, but when I do it's for high priced items. Suits, shoes, coats... that sort of thing. She shops more than I do, but buys the cheaper purses, scarves... good thing she can't buy shoes cause she's a size 5.

I don't have to discuss with her my big purchases... but I do anyway.

st3venb wrote in post #13204792 (external link)
I work in IT (Senior Linux Administrator), and am the breadwinner for my household... (wife, and two dogs).

I pay all the bills, she buys the food and our maintenance groceries... We're a team so we discuss large purchases -- which is a good thing, cause I'm a compulsive spender and can burn through my fun money very quickly.

sponsored links

9,963 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the average individual income of members here?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.