Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Oct 2011 (Monday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What is your individual annual income?"
<$25,000
15%
$25,001 - $50,000
20.2%
$50,001 - $75,000
19.1%
$75,001 - $100,000
14.7%
$100,001 - $150,000
15.9%
$150,001 - $200,000
6.9%
>$200,000
8.1%

346 voters, 346 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the average individual income of members here?

st3venb
211 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 04, 2011 15:35 |  #16

Nathan wrote in post #13204856 (external link)
I guess I'm the breadwinner... never thought of myself as that. After I got married, the sister-in-law moved in. It's the 3 of us. Yay. I pay all the bills, my wife buys the food and other household expenses. I'll fight for the restaurant bill. Sister-in-law pays nothing. Yes, I'm a little bitter... especially since she says she'll never move out.

Anyway... I'm an expensive shopper. I don't shop much, but when I do it's for high priced items. Suits, shoes, coats... that sort of thing. She shops more than I do, but buys the cheaper purses, scarves... good thing she can't buy shoes cause she's a size 5.

I don't have to discuss with her my big purchases... but I do anyway.

I find it gives me perspective into my purchases that I otherwise wouldn't have thought about.

(I like buying really expensive things, all the time. :P) -- She's definitely more frugal and save for the end style... so it helps out my budget a lot. And yeah, I would be bitter about the sister-in-law thing as well.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
my humble sites:
{flickr (external link) } { seeingflashes.com (external link) }

sponsored links
boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 04, 2011 15:36 |  #17

Like Nathan the reason why I don't spend much on photography is because I got married. I really wish I got into this hobby 4-5 years ago...I had my fair share of throwing away money in the past on stupid things... I have to stick with my family priorities first and not my own. That is why I barely get to take out my camera once a week or buy new gear. I also have other hobbys that trump photography unfortunately, although this is one I'm currently into the most. I'll be happy to get another lens or a flash and maybe a tripod by the end of the year. We put a lot of our savings towards retirement, investments, emergency funds, downpayment for our next house, new car, future children, in case she wants to take a break when we actually have children, etc etc...

All of the above and if she can't get the expensive stuff she wants, then I can't either! Other ways I plan on funding this hobby is selling my sneaker collection, doing side consulting or per diem work and being a little more agressive with other budgeting/spending that won't really affect my lifestyle or take up excessive time.

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 07, 2011 10:34 |  #18

LOL... I wonder... should we start an OccupyPOTN movement?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,713 posts
Gallery: 342 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 07, 2011 12:05 |  #19

My wife and I do well, but she has her own business and income is feast of famine. It is for me with OT as well. Last year was much better than this year. We are still paying all the bills and getting by just fine. And forget about the wife, the kids take the money! Especially if you both work and need full time daycare! I have 2 house payments once you factor that in!

I don't know how I manage to spend so much on this hobby, but the wife is very generous in not giving me a hard time about it because I take pictures of the kids. That and she travels a lot, leaving me alone with the kids. So it's kind of a reward of sorts as well. If I had my druthers, I'd have less camera stuff and the wife home more. Fortunately her next job looks to be local!

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 07, 2011 22:24 as a reply to  @ randy98mtu's post |  #20

Google shows this http://www1.salary.com​/-salaries.html (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

BaghdadFred
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 10, 2011 02:40 |  #21

Hrmm the 14 people who reported income over 200k, i'm interested to know what they are doing.

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

Ebwly
570 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 10, 2011 02:46 |  #22

what to know their income? just look at their gear list.

7D, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 50 f1.4

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 10, 2011 05:55 as a reply to  @ Ebwly's post |  #23

Hrmm the 14 people who reported income over 200k, i'm interested to know what they are doing.

Most likely...medical profession...Google "high stress level occupations".

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 10, 2011 11:53 |  #24

I highly doubt 9.21% of the population who participated in the pole are REALLY making over 200k... LOL. Liars.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

spkerer
953 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 10, 2011 16:26 |  #25

I suspect there could be some lying going on, but I also suspect the results are fairly accurate. Just as those making less may find it entertaining or such to overstate (or way overstate) their income, those making high incomes may have a tendency for a variety of reasons to understate their income.

Leesburg, Virginia
http://photos.kusterer​s.net (external link)

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 10, 2011 16:29 |  #26

Considering how much photo gear costs, I don't find it surprising that there are enthusiasts making over 200k.

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 10, 2011 17:17 |  #27

It's also a question of what type of person is more likely to click on a thread like this and to respond. There's obviously a mix of answers but I'd be willing to guess the results are a little skewed toward the top

Gear

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 10, 2011 17:20 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

ewheeler20 wrote in post #13201098 (external link)
I traded one red paperclip...

that whole thing happened in a town about an hour away from me, I've seen the guy once or twice, kinda surprised the story is so widely known.

Anyway, for me being a student my income is pretty random, over the summer I made about $3000 but in the past month I haven't made a dime. I'd say my yearly income is about $10,000 depending on the photo work I have time for.

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 10, 2011 18:08 |  #29

Not enough

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 10, 2011 18:35 |  #30

I've got a crap dead end 3rd shift job but at least I'm working(I've got to keep reminding myself that I'm more fortunate than others out there) for the time being. I'm not rolling in extra loot by any means but everything gets paid ahead of time and usually with some extra scratch thrown in.

Funny thing is I find I was happier when I made a fair amount less than I do now. Not having the extra disposable income makes the decisions heaps easier in whether I eat/pay rent/etc. or buy a bit more kit. If I didn't have the means to get things I didn't even think about it, now I find myself playing the how many more payments on item X so I can get item Y keeping the payments the same to avoid paying any interest.

Christian.

sponsored links

10,249 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the average individual income of members here?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.