Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Oct 2011 (Monday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What is your individual annual income?"
<$25,000
15%
$25,001 - $50,000
20.2%
$50,001 - $75,000
19.1%
$75,001 - $100,000
14.7%
$100,001 - $150,000
15.9%
$150,001 - $200,000
6.9%
>$200,000
8.1%

346 voters, 346 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the average individual income of members here?

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2013 16:13 |  #61

chauncey wrote in post #16213742 (external link)
Where I come from asking about someone's income was considered somewhat tacky.

From where I come from, snide remarks like that can be considered rude. :p

I didn't ask what your individual income is. I asked you to put an anonymous vote in a bucket. It's just data and statistics and no one is attempting to attach normative value to them.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 16, 2013 16:21 |  #62

Nathan wrote in post #16214060 (external link)
From where I come from, snide remarks like that can be considered rude. :p

I didn't ask what your individual income is. I asked you to put an anonymous vote in a bucket. It's just data and statistics and no one is attempting to attach normative value to them.

Exactlybw!

Furlan
740 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 16, 2013 16:28 |  #63

Lets really get rude and tacky what is your net worth? Income doesn't mean crap if you owe more
than you earn.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,920 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 16, 2013 17:15 |  #64

I am as poor as can be . . . probably because of photography. It's hard to commit to a full time job because then I wouldn't be able to spend so many weeks a year away from home pursuing wildlife with my camera.

Plus, when I am in town, most mornings I go out and photograph wildlife locally, and often do not get back home until 11 or 12 o'clock. When I have side projects (construction/stone masonry), I am often pooped out when I get to the job, because I've been up since 4 o'clock in the morning and working my butt off to find and photograph critters all morning long. Hence, not much work gets done on those side jobs - they take me forever to complete, primarily because most of my energy and time get used up on wildlife photography.

I know quite a few people who are very good wildlife photographers - but they are hobbyists. They have full time, high paying careers that consume most of their time. When I think of those guys and the lives they live, I think, "that would suck, only getting to shoot one or two days a week!". Then I realize that they probably look at my life and think, "that would suck - having to sleep in his car on photo trips because he can't afford a cheap hotel or a campsite".

I get out to shoot a few hundred times a year, which is great. In fact, I have sacrificed just about everything else in life to be able to do this. But because of it, I am so poor that buying a backup battery for one of my cameras ($30) eats up an entire month's savings. And I've had to cut a few out-of-state photo trips short because I simply ran out of food & gas money, and was barely able to buy enough gasoline to drive home.

I do make most of my paltry income from photo sales, so at least this obsession is providing a living for me (barely). Hopefully, sales continue to grow, and in a few years I may actually climb out of the "impoverished" bracket!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,733 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2013 17:45 |  #65

Wow, Tom. You seem truly committed to photography. I've followed your posts in the past, but now I've got a newfound respect.

Ephur
618 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 16, 2013 19:21 |  #66

I think it's generally considered this. However, product registration asks for this (so they know how to best market to you, and understanding the demographics current marketing is working on), many surveys ask for this. This is how sites like salary.com and others get their business. In fact, many businesses do in depth salary research to ensure they are paying competitive wages (and companies exist solely to do this research).

I find it interesting to be honest how even the breakdown was in the different ranges in the informal survey here. I filled it out too, but rarely, if ever, discuss my income with anyone but at the same time I love data, I love being able to think about and ruminate over what the data might mean and what stories it could tell.

I guess I'm a geek.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,283 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 16, 2013 19:32 |  #67

Nathan wrote in post #16214304 (external link)
Wow, Tom. You seem truly committed to photography. I've followed your posts in the past, but now I've got a newfound respect.

Toms da "man"......

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 16, 2013 20:52 |  #68

I have since moved up into the next higher income bracket from when I answered this post before.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,728 posts
Gallery: 345 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 16, 2013 20:56 |  #69

I haven't moved up, and the wife has noticed. She is the driven career person in our family. I just want to get my checks and be left alone. In retrospect, I am pretty bored and unfulfilled by work, so I'm starting to push for a promotion. I think the coming 4th child has a lot to do with both our motivations. :)

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,920 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 16, 2013 20:58 |  #70

airfrogusmc wrote in post #16214532 (external link)
Toms da "man"......

No, Allen, with 20 to 30 long term clients - YOU da man!

ewheeler20 wrote in post #16214711 (external link)
I have since moved up into the next higher income bracket from when I answered this post before.

Congratulations - that is awesome! May you continue to have success!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 16, 2013 21:08 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #71

Let this be a lesson to all those out there that aspire to turn professional, but for a very select and talented few...the big bucks just aren't there. :cry:

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 16, 2013 21:57 |  #72

interesting thread and set of data points. I have justifications for having all the photo equipment that I have (and unfortunately, I cant use talent as a justificationO
1. Documenting the our lives, our memories, and our children, which is priceless.
2. a relatively safe hobby, which is unlikely to get me injured or in trouble.
3. It matches well with my love for travelling and outdoors.
4. photo equipment (at least lenses) depreciates very slowly, and the usage cost is very little (compared to golfing or skiing, etc)
5. I live in LA. between Mortgage, various insurances, costs of having 2 children, etc, the cost of nice photo equipment is really not all that much.
6. God has blessed me with no interest in real long glass, such as the 600 f4

My Flickr (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,283 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 16, 2013 22:08 |  #73

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16214722 (external link)
No, Allen, with 20 to 30 long term clients - YOU da man!

I have sold some of my personal work but I would never be able to live on that. My professional work is my day job and I have been lucky over the years. I made some good choices early in my photographic career but there were some very lean years in the beginning but failure for me was not an option.

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,733 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2013 22:46 |  #74

chauncey wrote in post #16214745 (external link)
Let this be a lesson to all those out there that aspire to turn professional, but for a very select and talented few...the big bucks just aren't there. :cry:

The survey isn't limited to just professionals. It's a cross section of pros and hobbyists.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,877 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 16, 2013 23:26 |  #75

That's true in social situations here, too. However, survey takers routinely ask about household income. One can decline to answer.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

10,258 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the average individual income of members here?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.