Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Oct 2011 (Monday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What is your individual annual income?"
<$25,000
15%
$25,001 - $50,000
20.2%
$50,001 - $75,000
19.1%
$75,001 - $100,000
14.7%
$100,001 - $150,000
15.9%
$150,001 - $200,000
6.9%
>$200,000
8.1%

346 voters, 346 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the average individual income of members here?

blakepcoyne
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 18, 2013 06:36 as a reply to  @ post 13204856 |  #76

Less than $25,000 but passion for photography is priceless... LOL

"Born to be wild - live to outgrow it." value point distribution reviews (external link)

sponsored links
dhornick
711 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 18, 2013 09:37 |  #77

I started my current job (Railroad) of 35 years when I was 19. Out of high school less than a year. I worked hard and climbed the proverbial corporate ladder and made tons of money. Enough to pay cash for two college University educations for my daughters and most recently an Ireland wedding for the oldest. I also have what will amount to be the cost of a wedding saved for the youngest one. Now as I look forward to retirement I cant help but look at the kids (young adults) today and see how hard they have it. Even college graduates that cant find a job. It's a tough world out there and I feel for them. What I've done cant really be done in today's world. I've always felt lucky very appreciative and as if I had won a life's lottery. I picked up Photography as a hobby and possibley to try a little freelance work when I do retire. And, if I sell nothing well then that's OK too.

Darrell
Moved from the world of Canon DSLR to Mirrorless - Sony A7 III | Sony 24-240mm f/3.5 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Flickr (external link)

kkissofgold
88 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 18, 2013 14:12 |  #78

My 2 horses seem to eat all of my money so I got my fiance into photography = he buys "our" equipment (especially if I go find a lens and say "honey, look how cheap this is? It will do x,z and z") although I've not convinced him to buy me a 1d series yet.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 18, 2013 15:13 |  #79
bannedPermanent ban

I've earned a miserly £23 in the past 12 months

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 18, 2013 15:29 |  #80

BaghdadFred wrote in post #13201921 (external link)
hrmm a bit surprised that > 35% is reporting an income of 100K+

Im now in that bracket now after becoming a freelance contractor as a software programmer.

We make lots as a contractor then a perm

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,752 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 18, 2013 21:47 as a reply to  @ jonneymendoza's post |  #81

I must admit I'm not too surprised at the poll numbers, they look very reasonable to me. The only thing that surprised me was that is looks like a good number and cross-section of people actually voted. I think its good that there is a diversity of people on this forum and I think the poll shows it (assuming the numbers are approximately correct).

It's also good for both those not earning much to realize that there are probably some people who are not A-holes making 200K+. There is also obviously a young crowd on this forum, probably not earning their full potential and probably plenty for whom earning more is not a priority in life.

I remember in College 15 years ago thinking $50k/year was an absolute boatload of cash. And while I realize it still is to many people, with a wife, house and 3 kids it would be tough (I'm in the over 50k but well under 200k bracket).

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 19, 2013 08:17 |  #82

kkissofgold wrote in post #16218804 (external link)
I got my fiance into photography = he buys "our" equipment (especially if I go find a lens and say "honey, look how cheap this is? It will do x,z and z") although I've not convinced him to buy me a 1d series yet.

LOL. That's hilarious... but I can't help but feel sorry for the fiance!

jonneymendoza wrote in post #16218993 (external link)
We make lots as a contractor then a perm

As a contractor, I'm assuming you have to budget for taxes and healthcare yourself. That's got to put in a dent.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

NemethR
862 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 15, 2013 15:03 |  #83

Well 7360 USD. (Yes that is the yearly income.)

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 15, 2013 15:40 |  #84

Nathan wrote in post #16220883 (external link)
LOL. That's hilarious... but I can't help but feel sorry for the fiance!

As a contractor, I'm assuming you have to budget for taxes and healthcare yourself. That's got to put in a dent.

I get taxed less as a contractor and we get free health care in the UK

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 16, 2013 10:27 |  #85

dhornick wrote in post #16218196 (external link)
I started my current job (Railroad) of 35 years when I was 19. Out of high school less than a year. I worked hard and climbed the proverbial corporate ladder and made tons of money. Enough to pay cash for two college University educations for my daughters and most recently an Ireland wedding for the oldest. I also have what will amount to be the cost of a wedding saved for the youngest one. Now as I look forward to retirement I cant help but look at the kids (young adults) today and see how hard they have it. Even college graduates that cant find a job. It's a tough world out there and I feel for them. What I've done cant really be done in today's world. I've always felt lucky very appreciative and as if I had won a life's lottery. I picked up Photography as a hobby and possibley to try a little freelance work when I do retire. And, if I sell nothing well then that's OK too.

^^^

• When I graduated from college, my first job paid $12000; when I was a freshman, my tuition at a private university in CA cost $1200 per year. So my first job paid 10*[freshman year tuition]. Today annual tuition at the same university is $38.5K, and no one in their right mind could expect to earn a starting salary of $385000 !
  • Put into a different perspective, my starting salary after university was 34285*[price of a gallon of gas]. Using the national average price of gas (rather than the higher amount paid in CA), a graduate with a bachelor's degree would need to earn $120000 in his/her first year.
  • A friend from college has two sons, both now with Masters degrees. Today, one is trying to sell real estate, and the other is a personal trainer at a fitness center, because both could not otherwise find permanent jobs after college for years after graduation or even after going back to graduate school because their undergrad degree didn't seem to do any good!
  • The 50% unemployment rate of undergrads that was mentioned during the height of the recession even plagues those with advanced degrees. If you do not attend one of the top law schools and also graduate in the upper tiers of your law school class, you are likely to be one of the 50% of graduating attorneys without a job offer from an established firm.
  • During the height of the recession a few year ago, even a newly graduating person with an RN (registered nurse) might go over a year before getting a job offer. Two different couples who my wife and I know both had daughters graduate with RN degrees and unable of find jobs for that much time or more.
When I was early in my career, I could periodically move to new jobs, thereby increasing my earning power faster than staying for decades at the same company. Young adults today can't even start to get a respectable job, much less grow their earning power more rapidly by moving to new jobs. So not only are they NOT earning now, but their total career production of income is stunted because of loss of growth in their early work years.

I was forced into retirement 4 years earlier than I intended, because after being laid off I could not find another job at or near that level of responsibility and pay. I couldn't even get the same job that I had at a company 9 years earlier; direct experience in that exact position didn't count because (like so many others of my peers have discovered) Ben Bernanke's statement in 2010 was true..."If you are over 50 and you just lost your job, it is likely that will have been you LAST job!" So the two ends of the working population -- those starting, and those at the ends of their careers -- are being pinched.
(I hope I remember this statistic correctly...) Silicon Valley was said to have no more jobs in 2010 than it had in 1995; another statistic showed 50K fewer jobs in 2008 than in 1997 in Silicon Valley, in spite of a population growth of 20% in that same period. So 20% more of the population goes without jobs then (2007), than 10 years earlier! A significant contributor to lack of growth is that while Silicon Valley headquartered companies grew, the jobs were largely offshore.

And adults are underemployed at fastfood joints, earning minimum wage which gets them on 85% of the Federally defined Poverty Level income (family of 3), rather than leaving those jobs to high school kids who just want to earn a bit of spending money!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wrench
628 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 16, 2013 10:34 |  #86

The wife and I make a fair living together. All the money goes in one pot to pay the bills and we discuss and agree on any purchase over $100. The hard part is living in Maryland where our liberal leaders have hiked the taxes to near 30% overall, plus federal taxes. Makes it hard to have pocket money for hobbies when taxes and inflation are on the rise but salaries aren't.

Tony
-60D. Sigma 10-20 EX, Sigma17-50 f/2.8 EX, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX, Canon 100mm macro f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8.

sponsored links

9,933 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the average individual income of members here?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.