Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 05 Oct 2011 (Wednesday) 18:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Steve Jobs has died

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 06, 2011 08:58 |  #106

Steve Jobs was one of my idols growing up in college. As a business major and a marketer, I looked to Jobs and Apple for strategies on what should be done.

RIP.

Daniel
Sony a7 / Sony a7s / FE 24-70mm / FE 28mm F/2 / Samyang 135mm
Nebula 4000 Lite / Manfrotto 190cx
POTN Feedback / My Work! (external link)

sponsored links
Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,532 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 06, 2011 09:41 as a reply to  @ post 13210505 |  #107

My own farewell; Godspeed, Mr. Jobs (external link)

A fitting quote heard today:

"There may be no greater tribute to Steve's success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented." - Barack Obama

RIP, Steve. Thanks for everything. 
(posted on a MacBook Pro)

La Vida Leica! (external link) LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1V-HS, 1D Mark IIn & 5D Mark IV w/BG-E20
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 06, 2011 09:42 as a reply to  @ XxDJCyberLoverxX's post |  #108

iSad :cry:

Gear List & Feedback

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 06, 2011 09:42 |  #109

tonylong wrote in post #13211980 (external link)
According to Wikipedia, the Xerox machine never went "consumer", so in that sense we can hand Jobs the credit for pushing things into the home computing environment!

The Xerox mouse cost on the order of $300 to manufacture. Jobs hired the Xerox engineer who developed it and gave him one mission - make it cheaper and with only one button.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

LordBrian
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 06, 2011 11:38 as a reply to  @ post 13210505 |  #110

A very sad day indeed, he was truly one of the crazy ones who made life better in ways we never consider.

R.I.P.

Canon 7D | EF 100-400mm L my favourite bits of kit
http://blog.depicus.co​m (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Vimeo (external link) - 500px (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 06, 2011 11:45 as a reply to  @ post 13210505 |  #111

Oscars 2012 - the first year that a passed executive will get more applause than the actors during the "in memorium" segment.

I hear twitter was overloaded and having issues last night with everyone tweeting about it..not sure that anyone else could have managed that.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,988 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 06, 2011 12:26 as a reply to  @ 10megapixel's post |  #112

Needed to say something about Steve Jobs of Apple.

Like all of you, he touched all of our lives in one form or another with his apple computers, Iphones and Ipads. My techno not so athletic son was one of the first to get that old apple macintosh computer. His very athletic and highly competetive dad never really understood this new thing called a computer and struggled to understand why his son wasnt out playing tennis with him and racing around on motocross bikes with dad. Back in the 80's Dad was slowly figuring out some things on computers while my Techno son was pursuing a masters degree in the IT field. As dad got more and more dependent on computers his son was flourishing in the computer world.

In the mid 90's, the photography field made the switch to digital and i figured that my dreams of eventually retiring and becoming a top notch photographer were over. My son discovered his passion for photography and he and I began having long talks and started working together in the photography field. I knew nothing about the technical side, my son knew everything, and we both had a vision for where we were going to go. He came to live with me after the economy collapsed. Together we both worked on the things we wanted to do. My son eventually returned to california and is working for a large company and managing the IT department and he's making great money.

So you might ask yourself why the long story ?

All this was possible because of the technology and inovations the Steve Jobs created for all of us. The tide had turned for me. This highly athletic dad could no longer compete. Was too hard to run with the college kids when your 43 and they are 16. My techno son was helping the old man get into this new techno world of computers. It brought us very close. We talk about photography, computers and stuff in general and the technology brought us close in a way that was never possible in the past. Needless to say, while Steve Jobs family is probably devesdated over his death, what he did with his life has brought myself and countless others closer to our loved ones by ways we could have never dreamed of in the past. Something so simple like my Iphone and a text message from my kids lights up your day like nothing else could.

For all Steve Jobs has done to make this great big world smaller by letting a father in Minnesota feel like his sons in California are just a text message away, I for one am eternally grateful because he made my life better with his visions and technologys the he created. I think he will be greatly missed but his family should have great comfort knowing the impact he has made for families across this country Like mine.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,532 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 06, 2011 12:41 |  #113

Keyan wrote in post #13213461 (external link)
Ocscars 2012 - the first year that a passed executive will get more applause than the actors during the "in memorium" segment.

I hear twitter was overloaded and having issues last night with everyone tweeting about it..not sure that anyone else could have managed that.

Michael Jackson came pretty close to shutting down the Web, but yeah - not many among us could accomplish that.

La Vida Leica! (external link) LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1V-HS, 1D Mark IIn & 5D Mark IV w/BG-E20
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 06, 2011 12:56 as a reply to  @ post 13210505 |  #114

I found it ironic that there was a slideshow on CNN about him and I couldn't play it back because I was viewing it on my iPad and the gallery was Flash based.

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,955 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Oct 06, 2011 12:56 |  #115

nicksan wrote in post #13213715 (external link)
I found it ironic that there was a slideshow on CNN about him and I couldn't play it back because I was viewing it on my iPad and the gallery was Flash based.

Steve protesting right till the end :D

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 06, 2011 13:00 |  #116

vipergts831 wrote in post #13213718 (external link)
Steve protesting right till the end :D

That and no blue ray player on the Mac...:)

I was really never a big fan, but admired his innovative ways for sure. Sounds like he did it "his way", even if that meant stepping on a lot of toes along the way.

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,493 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 06, 2011 13:37 |  #117

nicksan wrote in post #13213733 (external link)

I was really never a big fan, but admired his innovative ways for sure. Sounds like he did it "his way", even if that meant stepping on a lot of toes along the way.

Unfortunately, I think stepping on toes is a necessity to becoming that successful...if we all went through life looking out for everyone else we would never get anywhere...at least IMO.

-Dave

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 06, 2011 13:50 |  #118

helloagain36 wrote in post #13213870 (external link)
Unfortunately, I think stepping on toes is a necessity to becoming that successful...if we all went through life looking out for everyone else we would never get anywhere...at least IMO.

True. You have to be a little bit of an a-hole to get ahead in life. Right or wrong, that's usually the case. :)

So I am wondering why I am still where I am...:lol:;)

mtbdudex
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 06, 2011 13:56 |  #119

umphotography wrote in post #13213607 (external link)
Needed to say something about Steve Jobs of Apple.

For all Steve Jobs has done to make this great big world smaller by letting a father in Minnesota feel like his sons in California are just a text message away, I for one am eternally grateful because he made my life better with his visions and technologys the he created. I think he will be greatly missed but his family should have great comfort knowing the impact he has made for families across this country Like mine.

Great post (I cut it down, others pls read it above), I truly enjoyed reading it, like you said there are 1,000's of similair stories.

Mike R, P.E. ...iMac 27"(i7), iPad2, iPhone5s, 24" iMac, AppleTV(160), MacBook
Canon: 70D, T1i + lens:70-200 L f2.8 IS II / TC 1.4x 2x / 15-85 / f1.4 50 / UWA 11-16 Tokina
FEISOL tripod CT-3441S + CB-40D Ball Head, iOptron EQ tracker
My top 10 in Astrophotography. . .DIY acoustic panels (external link) . . APOD Aug-5-2011 (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 06, 2011 13:58 |  #120

nicksan wrote in post #13213733 (external link)

Got tired of Blu-ray Discs after playing the third one. After that, I bought a BR drive for my Mac and just ripped them and put them on a server as MKV files. Done with all those menus and slowness of Blu-ray Discs.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links

13,160 views & 0 likes for this thread
Steve Jobs has died
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.