Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 05 Oct 2011 (Wednesday) 18:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Free or cheap secure FTP apps for iMac

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 05, 2011 18:55 |  #1

I'm new to Mac and I am looking for either free or cheap secure FTP apps. I tried the apps store and came away not deciding on what's best.

There was one called Fetch that seems interesting. Has anyone used this?

I could stumble around using Terminal but I am looking for a GUI based app.

I will mainly use it to upload my files to a shared-hosting server.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 05, 2011 19:43 |  #2

FileZilla has a mac version

http://filezilla-project.org/download.p​hp (external link)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 05, 2011 19:58 |  #3

tim wrote in post #13210754 (external link)
FileZilla has a mac version

http://filezilla-project.org/download.p​hp (external link)

This is all I need. Thank you.

My Photographic Gears.

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 05, 2011 20:10 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

If you want something less ugly, the best you can get right now is transmit.

Flow is pretty good by the newest version dropped SFTP support because they rewrote their app, the next version will have sftp support and it will probably be awesome...

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 05, 2011 20:36 |  #5

sbattey wrote in post #13210887 (external link)
If you want something less ugly,

Actually I don't find it ugly. It's similar to what I was using on my PC but different company.

I did read up on Transmit but it will cost me to be "pretty" :D So I'll give FileZilla a go for now.

Thanks for your recommendation.

My Photographic Gears.

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 05, 2011 21:21 |  #6

Why does it matter how an FTP client looks? FileZilla works well, and supports multiple connections per server.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 05, 2011 21:26 |  #7

Cyberduck and RBrowser work for me.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 05, 2011 22:07 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

tim wrote in post #13211210 (external link)
Why does it matter how an FTP client looks? FileZilla works well, and supports multiple connections per server.

Usability matters. Transmit, and Flow, are both easy to use. Perhaps I shouldn't have said ugly, but the design aspect of both applications do make them easier to use.

Filezilla works, but it is not immediately apparent for me on how to use it. Other alternatives offer a better looking user interface that also helps in functionality. I have been using FTP for over 10 years, and looking at filezilla makes me want to cry. A user interface should help you get your work done, filezilla's gets in the way.

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 05, 2011 22:08 |  #9

Tony-S wrote in post #13211235 (external link)
Cyberduck and RBrowser work for me.

Thanks for your suggestion. Cyberduck is another worth making a comparison to FileZilla. I know it's like comparing apples & oranges. One has more features but also has a donation nag. All I really need is a simple upload app with security. I don't care how it looks as long as it makes sense.

Thanks again.

My Photographic Gears.

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 05, 2011 22:23 |  #10

sbattey wrote in post #13211423 (external link)
Usability matters. Transmit, and Flow, are both easy to use. Perhaps I shouldn't have said ugly, but the design aspect of both applications do make them easier to use.

Filezilla works, but it is not immediately apparent for me on how to use it. Other alternatives offer a better looking user interface that also helps in functionality. I have been using FTP for over 10 years, and looking at filezilla makes me want to cry. A user interface should help you get your work done, filezilla's gets in the way.

I'm not sure I agree with you on this one. I feel the opposite. I have not loaded FileZilla yet. My opinion is only based on the screenshot. But from what I've seen. I'm ok with it. Remote on the left, host on the right. I see what I am transferring. Having said that, it seems both Transmit and Cyberduck requires me to learn a different way of uploading. Plus I probably won't have much use of the new services such as Amazon, Google storage etc.

It's unfair to ignore what's good out there. So the best thing to do is try 'em all :-)

My Photographic Gears.

ProwlingTiger
449 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 06, 2011 02:01 |  #11

I was using Filezilla for Mac but switched a couple years ago when it started constantly crashing. I went with Transmit for a lack of a better alternative but I absolutely can't stand one thing about it: on Filezilla I could tell a dialog box to replace all the files for the current connection session, but on Transmit I'm forced to keep click a dialog box to replace files. Put another way, on Filezilla I only have to click "replace this file and all everything after it" once, but on Transmit, even though it says "do this for all files," it only does that for all files in that particular upload batch.

Now that you mention it, I think I'm going to grab the latest version of Filezilla...

Something will be here later...

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 06, 2011 02:17 |  #12

sbattey wrote in post #13211423 (external link)

Filezilla is a simple local/server drag and drop interface - how much simpler can you get?

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 06, 2011 05:06 |  #13

http://www.pure-mac.com/ftp.html (external link)

I use Cyberduck and still own an older version of Fetch.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 06, 2011 06:38 |  #14

You have one that comes with the OS (although not graphical). Open up a terminal window and use: sftp <hostname>

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 06, 2011 08:26 |  #15

I could care less what it looks like. I use filezilla as it is easy to use....cant be any easier than drag and drop. Once I tried it. I never bothered to keep looking. It was good enough for me.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,295 views & 0 likes for this thread
Free or cheap secure FTP apps for iMac
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.