Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 08 Oct 2011 (Saturday) 14:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon S100 or a Wide-Angle Zoom (for landscapes, street photography)?

tsong
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 08, 2011 14:16 |  #1

Hey guys,

I have a 40D, Sigma 30, and Nifty 50 (Mk i), and I'm going abroad after the new year for a few months.

I'm debating whether to invest in a wide angle (Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 10-20, etc.) or to get the new S100 for wide angle shots since it can shoot RAW. It'd also be handy to have the video capability too, but I'm not sure how much I'd use it.

I've tested a Sigma 10-20 on my 40D and it didn't impress me at all. I liked the wideness, but the sharpness, colors, etc. were a bit bland imo after I put em' up on LR.

I've heard the Tokina is a really good wide for APS-C sensor bodies but I haven't tried it yet, but of course it's still around $600+.

I'm thinking it would be better to have two cameras on me while moving around since lens changing might cause me to miss an opportunity but my overall goal is for sharp image quality.

What do you guys think? In your experience (maybe with an S95), can image quality compare to using a wide angle on a cropped body?

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 08, 2011 14:58 |  #2

tsong wrote in post #13222026 (external link)
What do you guys think? In your experience (maybe with an S95), can image quality compare to using a wide angle on a cropped body?

No.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 09, 2011 10:45 |  #3

The S95 has 28mm equivalent wide lens, which would be the same as putting a 18mm lens on the 40D. You could just spend $60 and get a 18-55IS kit lens which would produce better results overall.

I had the Sigma 10-20 (old version) and although it was distorted in the corners that is the nature of ultra wide zooms. I liked the lens overall but generally don't shoot that wide anyways (quite content with 24mm on my 5D.)

If you want a smaller, second camera well then that is a different story, I'm thinking of getting a S95 or S100 as well.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

PaulRivers
193 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 17, 2011 17:50 |  #4

DStanic wrote in post #13224842 (external link)
The S95 has 28mm equivalent wide lens, which would be the same as putting a 18mm lens on the 40D. You could just spend $60 and get a 18-55IS kit lens which would produce better results overall.

technically, he asked about an s100 which has a 24mm lens not a 28mm lens (like the s95 has).

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 21, 2011 14:43 |  #5

An s100 isn't the same as a a 40d with quality glass. However, for a trip you may be happier with the s100, which should perform admirably for landscapes and the like. You won't be shooting action or sports, things the s100 doesn't excel at. Depends how important the trip is to you. I would bring both the dslr and S100.

The Tokina 11-16 is superb.

My Gearlist

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,446 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon S100 or a Wide-Angle Zoom (for landscapes, street photography)?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.