Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 10:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Exposure Compensation

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 09, 2011 10:37 |  #1

Hi,

I am hoping someone can explain to me how to set an exposure compensation for hockey photos.

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6101/6220584081_385e551c3d_b.jpg

I have tried setting a custom WB (shooting the scrapped up ice surface), but still the majority of the photos end up being underexposed. I know there is a setting in the camera to up the exposure.

How do you set this and is it permanent until you reset it? I think I would like to increase the exposure by about 2/3 of a stop. If I do this then when the meter needle shows a "correct" exposure then this would include the Exposure compensation (2/3 rds?).

Is this a good way to go for trying to get a "better exposure?"

Appreciate any advise.

Thanks Tony

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 09, 2011 11:27 |  #2

First you need to understand that WB and exposure are to entirely separate things. Making a CWB using the ice is a good idea, but it won't affect your exposure. As you have learned, using Evaluative metering will make the ice grey and the people underexposed. You want the ice to be white, close to clipping but not clipped, and brightening the ice will at the same time brighten the people. So put your meter on Spot so that you can meter only the ice. Put your shooting mode into M (Manual) and point the camera at the ice. Adjust aperture, speed and ISO until the needle in the viewfinder is on +2 (the right end of the scale). This will make the ice two stops brighter than the medium grey produced by having the needle on 0.

An alternative would be to point the metering spot at the palm of your hand, if you can get close enough to the rink to put your hand in the same light as the players are in, but if you do this, set the needle to +1 (because Caucasian palms are one stop brighter than medium grey.)

The above assumes that you are shooting jpgs. If you are shooting RAW you can use the greater highlight headroom available by metering the ice at +3 stops and adjusting during conversion.

Elie / אלי

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 09, 2011 11:42 |  #3

Hi,

Thanks tzalman,

I do shoot in RAW and will give this a go.

Cheers

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
6,052 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 09, 2011 13:02 |  #4

tzalman has given you a nice bit of info there to play with.

if the lighting doesn't change a great deal [I'm guessing it doesn't??] then i'd be tempted to shoot in Manual mode for consistancy & also in a custom or set WB too. if the wb is slightly out then as least it's across the board & in something like LR you can adjust all at once.

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,126 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 09, 2011 13:06 |  #5

Another thing to consider is the adjustment to the "correct" overexposure for the ice so that you get a shutter speed that will not have blur in it from motion of the players or camera shake from shooting with a long focal length. So, choose a reasonable aperture, set an appropriate shutter speed and then adjust ISO accordingly to get the exposure correct as Tzalman explained above. You will likely have to shoot at ISO 1600 or 3200 with an appropriate shutter speed and aperture.

Kirk

Kirk
---

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 09, 2011 13:36 |  #6

Tony,

Just to add on here to the good advice given:

Your OP has a couple "points" that should be cleared up.

First, when you use the term "Exposure Compensation", that refers to an adjustment you make in Av, Tv or P mode to move the exposure from what the camera deems is "correct" (where the needle is centered). When you do this, the needle will no longer be centered -- it will stay "fixed" at the level where you set the exposure compensation.

But, using EC in one of those modes does not set the exact exposure, but only the exposure relative to what the camera is metering at a given point.

So, in one of those "semi-auo) modes, if you point the camera at the ice and dial in the +2/+3 EC, at that point you will get a good exposure for the whole scene. But then, if you want to shoot the guy in the black jersey, you will focus on him and your camera will meter him, taking the black jersey in, and will set the exposure to "medium" plus the EC you have dialed in. The meter needle will read +2/+3, whatever EC you have dialed in. When you then look at the shot, you will have everything overexposed.

This is why Manual exposure can be helpful here -- you will have a single exposure for everything. The black jersey will have a "needle reading" of perhaps -2 EV, which is proper for a dark garment. The yellow jerseys will have perhaps a +1 EV reading, because they are lighter than "medium", although not as bright as the snow.

Now, some people do prefer to shoot in, say, Av, and to use the EC to adjust "on the fly", and that's fine as long as you understand what you are doing -- if you are shooting the black jersey you adjust your EC to the negative, but if you are shooting the yellow jersey, you adjust to the positive.

Do you get what I'm saying?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 09, 2011 16:00 |  #7

tonylong wrote in post #13225432 (external link)
Tony,

Do you get what I'm saying?

Hi Tony L,

I believe so:

I'm not sure why I mentioned the WB in the post - I think I am over tired!!

But I do shoot in manual and I will adjust the metering for the target ie - underexpose (move needle to the left) abit for darker targets (so the overall exposure is closer to correct) and overexpose abit for brighter objects. basically compensating for what the camera will do as far as its light reading. I believe (hopefully) this is the gest of it?

BTW - that is my little girl:lol::lol: - mind you she is one heck of a TomBoy (8 yrs old and still hasn't worn a dress - and thats no exageration!!) - and a heck of a hockey player.

Thanks Again

Tony

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 09, 2011 16:21 |  #8

General_T wrote in post #13225929 (external link)
Hi Tony L,

I believe so:

I'm not sure why I mentioned the WB in the post - I think I am over tired!!

But I do shoot in manual and I will adjust the metering for the target ie - underexpose (move needle to the left) abit for darker targets (so the overall exposure is closer to correct) and overexpose abit for brighter objects. basically compensating for what the camera will do as far as its light reading. I believe (hopefully) this is the gest of it?

Yeah, it sounds like you're getting the idea. It takes some practice, either in M or one or the other modes, you have to have an awareness of these issues and an eye on what you are doing and be ready for changes as well.

But with consistent lighting, using Manual and nailing that ice can set you up to shoot all day without worry. Or, you could use one of the other "targets" the same way.

BTW - that is my little girl:lol::lol: - mind you she is one heck of a TomBoy (8 yrs old and still hasn't worn a dress - and thats no exageration!!) - and a heck of a hockey player.

Thanks Again

Tony

Cool! I don't have anyone involved in a sport, otherwise I'd be out there more!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 09, 2011 16:43 |  #9

Have a read of the book "understanding exposure" (external link).

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 09, 2011 17:05 |  #10

tim wrote in post #13226067 (external link)
Have a read of the book "understanding exposure" (external link).

Hi Tim,

I actually have (and have read) the book. I do understand the relationship of the "triangle" ISO/Shutter/Aperture (at least I think I do:lol:). Thing is, its gonna take awhile to put theory into practice and get consistent results - which is why I will be pestering ppl in this forum. I started this kinda late in life (50+) so I have a lot of catching up to do!!

Thanks for the help

Cheers

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 09, 2011 17:18 |  #11

It's been a few years since I read Understanding Exposure, so I dug out the dang book -- it's the 2004 edition, meaning that it's not up-to-date with some of his revisions for digital...

His chapter on Light covers this type of stuff, and he hits it from all kinds of angles, and it's worth revisiting!

Tony

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 09, 2011 17:21 |  #12

General_T wrote in post #13226159 (external link)
Hi Tim,

I actually have (and have read) the book. I do understand the relationship of the "triangle" ISO/Shutter/Aperture (at least I think I do:lol:). Thing is, its gonna take awhile to put theory into practice and get consistent results - which is why I will be pestering ppl in this forum. I started this kinda late in life (50+) so I have a lot of catching up to do!!

Thanks for the help

Practice is all you can really do now. Rule of thumb is for general photos you'll want about +2/3, for something mostly white (wedding dress) +1.5 or so, for something black -1 or so. That's for Canon, other brands are different.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 10, 2011 06:45 |  #13

Image is underexposed by about a stop.
In a scene like that' I'd either meter a bright spot of the ice (not the reflection of a light) and make sure it just doesn't blow (put it at about +2) or measure the black and make sure it retains detail (put it at about -2)
Should get you in the ballpark.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 10, 2011 06:59 |  #14

Look at the histogram on your playback. Its well underexposed. Not helped by the player wearing black! Shadow/highlight recovery in PS gets some detail back, but set your exposure as has been suggested next time.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

rsandberg
49 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 10, 2011 11:30 as a reply to  @ Hannya's post |  #15

General,

I am taking a lot of kids hockey pictures these days w a 60d and 70-200L.
The rink I shoot at the most has decent light, but it is still challenging getting the exposure correct.

I will be the first to admit that I am very much a newbie but here is what I can provide:

As of yesterday, my setting are ss1/640, f2.8, iso2500ish.
Also, I use spot metering (not that it matters with fixed settings), hi-speed drive, and ai-servo. I found that using the upper focus point lets me get a little tighter.

I used to be scared of high ISO but now realize that the sensor electronics are much better at increasing sensitivity rather than increasing exposure in post processing. Meaning, less noise.

Here are some pics of my son's team. The ones later in the album are better I think.

https://picasaweb.goog​le.com …u-A99jaIQ&feat=directlin​k (external link)

Good luck,
Rick

My lenses go to 1.1
5D4, 70-200 2.8L IS mkII, 24-70 2.8L

sponsored links

2,933 views & 0 likes for this thread
Exposure Compensation
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.