Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!

Moppie
14,838 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 10, 2011 02:01 |  #1

Just found the coolest wireless E-TTL solution.

Phottix Odin TTL

I got a set from the first shipment into New Zealand.

It's quite amazing, full E-TTL control including all of the functionality found on the back of the flash.
That means you can operate any E-TTL II flash (550ex, 580ex, 430ex) remotely as if it was sitting on top of the flash.

I've just been playing with it, and I'm pretty blown away.
It has an LCD screen and a very easy to understand control layout.
It's actually easier to adjust settings than it is on the flash.

With the flash off camera I was able to adjust the flash mode, power out put, flash Exp Comp, Zoom AND enable high speed sync.

It can operate groups, set ratios etc. The damn thing is awesome.
Way better than the Pocket Wizards Flex, or the new Radio Poppers.

The best thing is a transmitter and receiver combo cost less than a single Radio Popper or Flex unit.

I've used the Pocket Wizard Flex and found them to be rather fiddly and un-reliable, with limited control at best.
The Odin is liking have a flash on the camera, but with a better user interface.

I have no idea on how available they are globally, but here in NZ these guys stock them: www.photofans.co.nz (external link)

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

sponsored links
Yaamon
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 10, 2011 02:27 |  #2

I also picked up a set last week Monday.

Just played with it and it's great so far. Will use it on location shoot with ,y 22" beauty dish.

I current use six Atlas trigger/receivers.

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,430 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 10, 2011 08:39 |  #3

Looks nice but for me in low light situations issue becomes focussing. With mini/flex atleast I can have another flash or Ste on top for AF assist.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 10, 2011 08:45 |  #4

bobbyz wrote in post #13228839 (external link)
Looks nice but for me in low light situations issue becomes focussing. With mini/flex atleast I can have another flash or Ste on top for AF assist.

This is my issue. I haven't seen the Odin yet, but I have Photix Stratos and love them; even though only M, I still get to have an ETTL flash on camera for focus assist, etc. So I guess no flash in the hot shoe when using Odin?

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

Xcelx
558 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 10, 2011 09:30 |  #5

Really nice solution but how much does it cost?

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,838 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 10, 2011 14:33 |  #6

Peacefield wrote in post #13228856 (external link)
This is my issue. I haven't seen the Odin yet, but I have Photix Stratos and love them; even though only M, I still get to have an ETTL flash on camera for focus assist, etc. So I guess no flash in the hot shoe when using Odin?

True, there is no pass through on it.

But, if you press the DOF preview button on your camera the flash will strobe as a modeling light which works well for focus assist.

Xcelx wrote in post #13229009 (external link)
Really nice solution but how much does it cost?

No idea about the rest of the world, but here in NZ its NZ$480.
Thats about US$350-400

flickr (external link)

Xcelx
558 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 11, 2011 06:54 |  #7

Quite pricey, any idea about compatibility with 3rd party flashes like the YN-468?

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,838 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 11, 2011 16:18 |  #8

Xcelx wrote in post #13233858 (external link)
Quite pricey, any idea about compatibility with 3rd party flashes like the YN-468?

Pricey?

It's half the price of the Radio Poppers, less than half the price of Pocket Wizards, and it has a whole lot of functionality that they don't.

I'll try and find a YN-468 to try it with.

flickr (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,430 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 11, 2011 16:30 |  #9

Moppie wrote in post #13236388 (external link)
Pricey?
It's half the price of the Radio Poppers, less than half the price of Pocket Wizards, and it has a whole lot of functionality that they don't.

Just an FYI, in US, FlexTT5 is $230. You can buy then used for $190-$200. MiniTT1 is $200 but you can easily pick them for $175 used. I don't see where I can buy this Odin in US.

Edited:- Found some more info. Tx and Rx is $350 while Rx alone is $150 so no way less than half the PW prices, IMHO. Not sure what the shipping will be, I get free shipping from Amazon when buying PW stuff. Thing is FlexTT5 at $230 is both Tx and Rx. The Odin Tx is just Tx for $200. If I need a spare I need to spend another $200. Rx are defnitely cheaper.

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,838 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 11, 2011 17:24 |  #10

Your maths is wrong.

The PW's don't come as a set. You need to buy 1 x Flex TT5 Transceiver for each Flash and 1 x Flex TT5 Transmitter for the Camera. Thats US$430 to trigger one flash. (note, here in NZ, they are a LOT more expensive).

The Phottix Odin come as a set, one receiver and one Transmitter for US$350.
Nearly US$100 cheaper.

Extra receivers for the Flex TT5 are US$230 each.
Extra receivers for the Odein are around US$180 each.
US$50 cheaper.

Used prices are not relevant, if to buy used of course it will be cheaper, and I have no doubt that when used Odin sets become available they will also be cheaper.

I've used the Pocket Wizard Flex and was not impressed. I found them fiddly to use with cheap buttons and limited functionality.
I also found them to be very, very unreliable, often not communicating with each other at all.
I also thought they were not very well put together, the Flex name being quite appropriate for how flimsy they feel.

The Odin on the other hand is much better built, has so far been 100% reliable, is much easier to set up and offers a whole new level of control beyond what the Flex is capable of.

flickr (external link)

nohnst
142 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 11, 2011 17:30 |  #11

Any info if this would work with the 270ex in ettl mode and manual?

James33
568 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 11, 2011 17:42 |  #12

Ebay listing abound (external link). $369 US including the shipping from Canada.

www.jamesparkerphoto.c​om (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,430 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 11, 2011 20:56 |  #13

Moppie wrote in post #13236668 (external link)
Your maths is wrong.

The PW's don't come as a set. You need to buy 1 x Flex TT5 Transceiver for each Flash and 1 x Flex TT5 Transmitter for the Camera. Thats US$430 to trigger one flash. (note, here in NZ, they are a LOT more expensive).

The Phottix Odin come as a set, one receiver and one Transmitter for US$350.
Nearly US$100 cheaper.

Extra receivers for the Flex TT5 are US$230 each.
Extra receivers for the Odein are around US$180 each.
US$50 cheaper.

So $430 vs $350, that is $80 not $100. You said Odin are less than 1/2 of PW prices. So half of $430 is $215, but $350 is $135 more\, not any less than $215. So not sure whose math is wrong.

Now if I buy two flexTT5 I pay $460 so yes that is %110 more than Odin set but then both are Tx/Rx not just one Tx and one Tx. Maybe you guys don't shoot things where things go bad. I have had camera/lens fall on the floor and hot shoe on my Plus II break. No problem, pull another PW Plus II from the bag and shoot. Order new foot for $6 and problem solved. With any of these chinese knock off I will have to order at least one spare Tx just to be safe. If anything goes wrong, no place for parts except order one more. Being cheaper comes with all sorts of caveats.

I like that these companies are putting more pressures on established players and in the end it is good for us consumers.

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,838 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 11, 2011 23:14 |  #14

It sounds like your just picking at straws to justify your own purchase of a different product.

Here in NZ the PW Flex does cost twice as much. That's clearly different in the US, but I don't live in the US, neither does over 93% of the worlds population.

The hot shoe mount on the Odin is a separate piece that could be replaced if it broke.

Phottix is NOT a cheap Chinese knock off company. The do not copy anyone, but develop and build their own range of products.
While not common in the US, they are popular in the rest of the world, especially Asia Pacific.
Their products are well built, very well designed and I've had no problems using them in a professional environment.

The build quality on these is better than any other trigger I have used, except PW Plus IIs, which these are similar too.
They are better than my Elinchrom Skyports and better then PW Flex.
These are high quality units, and even have a steel foot on the hot shoe.

The user interface on the back is easier to use than the interface on the a 580EX.
The buttons and switches are more robust and easier to operate than the ones on a PW.

Go and have a look at the range of products on the website: http://www.phottix.com​/en/ (external link)
Phottix are not just putting pressure on the other players, they are several steps ahead of them.

flickr (external link)

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 11, 2011 23:23 |  #15

Just to be fair. PW will need to add AC-3 into the mix to have similar functionality as the Odin's transmitter.

I think the bottom line is nice to have more choices besides PW now that Phottix Odin and Pixel Kings are out. I decided to stay away from PW mainly due to multiple reports of 580ex II incompatibility issue. So now I am just waiting for more user reports to decide on Odin (~$350) vs Kings ($150) for one set of transmitter/receiver.

Odin looks to be a better package, but Pixel King is just so much cheaper.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

sponsored links

179,200 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.