Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 17, 2011 00:41 |  #301

Moppie wrote in post #13557641 (external link)
They do work with the Nissin Di862, but they don't work with the Youngouguagoughuougu.

great then my mind is set on this combo hopefully in the near future.

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

sponsored links
elv
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 18, 2011 05:28 |  #302

kbasdeo wrote in post #13520201 (external link)
I have a few questions, only have a few min to play with the system and I'm new to OCF. If I have ETTL on the TCU but change the 580exII to Manual, what would be dominate for that? Same goes for the settings for the power option, if I raise it on the TCU or on the actual flash?

I just remembered to try this, you normally just leave the flash on ETTL when its controlled by the Odins (in manual or ETTL), but if you do set the flash to a manual power level that will override the Odin.

You've lost remote control from the Odin though then until you set the flash back to ETTL.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

aerosmith9110
534 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 19, 2011 16:07 |  #303

for PWs some people do like to dress their flashes. do the shielding comes in pink? :D Just kidding.
PW are great if you have the money. RP are also great but all out of range in prices.

Gear List

Sigma Fan :D 12mm-200mm!
Nerves of Steel! :lol:

elv
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 19, 2011 18:41 as a reply to  @ aerosmith9110's post |  #304

A person on the Strobist forum has confirmed he can split 2 flashes between one Odin receiver with the Ishoot dual ETTL cord -

http://www.photoloving​.com …w/TTL-C-2.5M-PC-C-2M.html (external link)

Note he was using identical 550ex flashes (generally best to use the same flashes).

He did also piggy back a second cord and third falsh onto the one receiver.

I tried the Phottix Duo cord but it didn't work.

These cords are a little clumsy to be stacking receivers on top of sometimes so another receiver is more ideal, but if your after an ETTL cord at some stage anyway it may be worth keeping in mind the Ishoot is compatible. (These dual shoe cords all seem to be wired differently so its likely the others.. YongNuo etc may not work).

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

Shockwave506
24 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 19, 2011 22:39 |  #305

I ordered a set of these after talking to another member on here about them, so far they are working flawlessly. Very happy overall.

Canon 7D | 16-35LII | 50 1.4 | 28-135 3.5-5.6
flickr (external link)

J.Darius
71 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 20, 2011 20:42 |  #306

hi guys, i been interested with this product for about 2 weeks, and still saving up for this... hopefully i can get this for myself as christmas gifts :D

any 1 using this with the nissin flash di 662 mark 1? i asked because i have this spare flash that been collecting dust due that it is not compatible with my current trigger :(

Canon 5DMK III +BG-E11
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L +70-200mm f/2.8 L IS MKII + Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 MKII L
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG
1x PW TT1 + 2x PW TT5
2 x Canon 600EX-RT + ST-E3 RT

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 21, 2011 15:45 |  #307

OK, mine just arrived and I have finished my first test. These things are great.

ETTL - Perfect.
Manual - Perfect
HHS - Perfect

I think the build quality is good. I love that they take regular AA batteries.
And how did they do in a distance test using the "noisey" 580exII...............

Well, how does 685 feet sound? Pretty dang good to me. That's right, they were firing reliable at the distance.

I may do a full write up at a later date. But for now i am very glad that I sold my PocketWizards to get these.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

SUB1IM388
Cream of the Crop
8,553 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 21, 2011 16:18 |  #308

sempaidavid wrote in post #13580599 (external link)
OK, mine just arrived and I have finished my first test. These things are great.

ETTL - Perfect.
Manual - Perfect
HHS - Perfect

I think the build quality is good. I love that they take regular AA batteries.
And how did they do in a distance test using the "noisey" 580exII...............

Well, how does 685 feet sound? Pretty dang good to me. That's right, they were firing reliable at the distance.

I may do a full write up at a later date. But for now i am very glad that I sold my PocketWizards to get these.

glad you like them! my only wish would be the the TCU could be a little smaller but with the LCD and the easy controls i understand the size

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 21, 2011 21:29 |  #309

After a bit of reading here am I correct to state that the phottix odin will allow for remote power, zoom and TTL control of a 580EXII but will not allow this control over a 430EXI since it is only the version I?
Thanks!

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,838 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 21, 2011 22:44 |  #310

wizard13 wrote in post #13582219 (external link)
After a bit of reading here am I correct to state that the phottix odin will allow for remote power, zoom and TTL control of a 580EXII but will not allow this control over a 430EXI since it is only the version I?
Thanks!

It works with ETTL and ETTL II flashes, so it will work with the 430EX.
It certainly works with my 550ex which predates the 430.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 22, 2011 12:51 |  #311

Moppie wrote in post #13582576 (external link)
It works with ETTL and ETTL II flashes, so it will work with the 430EX.
It certainly works with my 550ex which predates the 430.

Thank you. Good to know.

Two other questions--
1- Can a flash be on camera (580EXII) and still have the odin connected via cable to allow for remote control of a 430EXI??
Basically trying to have on camera flash for fill and off camera for back light or accent. Thinking of a fast pasted wedding. So will have the ability to move and have a flash but also have the ability to have OCF when wanted.

2- Since the Odin's can trigger the Strato and Strato II what features are you giving up if using the Strato's to trigger other flashes instead of the Odin's?

Thanks in advance!

US based photogs- any idea where to purchase the two receiver kit other thank Ace Digital Photo? Do not trust them but looking for the two receiver kit. Thanks!

Subtas
131 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 22, 2011 17:56 |  #312

wizard13 wrote in post #13585383 (external link)
Two other questions--
1- Can a flash be on camera (580EXII) and still have the odin connected via cable to allow for remote control of a 430EXI??
Basically trying to have on camera flash for fill and off camera for back light or accent. Thinking of a fast pasted wedding. So will have the ability to move and have a flash but also have the ability to have OCF when wanted.

2- Since the Odin's can trigger the Strato and Strato II what features are you giving up if using the Strato's to trigger other flashes instead of the Odin's?

If you have a 580 on camera you can use it as a Master to control the 430 off camera. There's no point of using de Odin. Moreover, you couldn't even use the Odin because you have the 580 connected in the same place TCU goes: the camera hotshoe.

You are giving up pretty much everything: ETTL, remote control of the flash, etc. I think the Stratos is a good purchase if you plan to use it in studio strobes.

Please, correct if i'm wrong in what i said.

5DIII
16-35L - Canon 100 Macro - 35L - 50L - 85L - 135L
580EXII - 430EXII - Odin
http://500px.com/subta​s (external link)

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 22, 2011 19:57 |  #313

Subtas wrote in post #13586877 (external link)
If you have a 580 on camera you can use it as a Master to control the 430 off camera. There's no point of using de Odin. Moreover, you couldn't even use the Odin because you have the 580 connected in the same place TCU goes: the camera hotshoe.

You are giving up pretty much everything: ETTL, remote control of the flash, etc. I think the Stratos is a good purchase if you plan to use it in studio strobes.

Please, correct if i'm wrong in what i said.

Thanks for the response.
I know that I can control the 430 with the 580 on camera but that is limited to line of sight. Basically wanted to be able to fire 580 as fill and have 430 fire behind the couple (no line of sight) as the back-light. Didn't think this could happen but asking. I guess another option is to have the odin in the hot-shoe and have the 580 on a bracket with the receiver--
Any other ideas??
Thanks--

josef
47 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 23, 2011 01:14 |  #314

To those who have light meter's.

I don't have one, but I probably going to invest soon. Does the pre-flash of the Odin's (in TTL and Manual) mess the reading on the meter?

Canon 7D / 10-22 / 24-70L / 50mm 1.4 / 100L / 70-200 f4L/ 2 x 580exII / 430exII
"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures."
-Henry Ward Beecher

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,838 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 23, 2011 04:57 |  #315

wizard13 wrote in post #13587400 (external link)
Thanks for the response.
I know that I can control the 430 with the 580 on camera but that is limited to line of sight. Basically wanted to be able to fire 580 as fill and have 430 fire behind the couple (no line of sight) as the back-light. Didn't think this could happen but asking. I guess another option is to have the odin in the hot-shoe and have the 580 on a bracket with the receiver--
Any other ideas??
Thanks--

The Odin transmitter needs to be on the cameras hot shoe, but you could use a pass through E-TTL cable with either the Odin or the on camera flash on the cable.

Or, you could put the on camera flash on a bracket with another odin reciever in a different group.

josef wrote in post #13588671 (external link)
To those who have light meter's.

I don't have one, but I probably going to invest soon. Does the pre-flash of the Odin's (in TTL and Manual) mess the reading on the meter?

Unless I'm mistaken, there is no pre-flash in manual mode, but you do need to take a photo to properly trigger the flash as there is no way to trigger it in the manual power setting from the odin.
There is only a small very low power test flash, or the modeling light.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

sponsored links

179,030 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.