Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!

DHPHOTO66
186 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 21, 2012 07:46 |  #331

Arturo146 wrote in post #13741985 (external link)
Does anyone know if multiple flashguns can be used per group. Lets say one for group A, one in group B, and two flashes for group C.

Yes...

Uncle Donn | http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dhphoto66/ (external link)

sponsored links
adammazza
505 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 22, 2012 19:46 as a reply to  @ DHPHOTO66's post |  #332

Just started using these with a 580EXII and 580EX. Few questions for those that have used them for a while.

1) If not using all 3 groups is it possible to hide them from the TCU so you don't have to cycle through?

2) Has anyone upgraded firmware, or know what version they are running. Didn't see a utility on the phottix site.

Thanks
Adam

Canon 5Dm3, Fuji X100T, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X70
Canon 70-200mm L F/2.8 IS
Canon 24-105mm L F/4.0 IS
Sigma 35mm F/1.4, Sigma 85mm F/1.4
Fuji 16mm F/1.4, Fuji 35mm F/1.4, Fuji 56mm F/1.2, Fuji 16-55 F/2.8

elv
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 22, 2012 22:01 |  #333

adammazza wrote in post #13750346 (external link)
Just started using these with a 580EXII and 580EX. Few questions for those that have used them for a while.

1) If not using all 3 groups is it possible to hide them from the TCU so you don't have to cycle through?

2) Has anyone upgraded firmware, or know what version they are running. Didn't see a utility on the phottix site.

Thanks
Adam

1) If you set the group to OFF its hidden from the screen which makes the screen a little clearer, but it doesn't remove it from the scrolling menu.

A tip though, when you change a power setting (or FEC setting) of a group, if you make the change and just leave it blinking, then go on to take a shot etc, when you press [SEL] again it will go straight back to that group you just set. So if its the same group your adjusting a lot you won't need to scroll at all that way.

It would be good if they could remove OFF groups from the scrolling though. I suggested they atleast remove the channel setting from the groups as theres no need to be scrolling that all the time either.

Its fairly quick and simple as it is, but that main group power/FEC setting should be as absolutely fast as possible.

2) There hasn't really been a firmware update yet, except for those that had beta models. That update is available here -
http://journal.phottix​.com …irmware-release-download/ (external link)
Pretty sure that would be the version you already have though.

Looking forward to the first firmware update, a change to 1/3 stop manual power setting would be number 1 on the wishlist (though that may be expecting more than is possible at this stage).

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

josef
47 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 23, 2012 01:57 |  #334

Yes, you can have as many flashes in a group as you want, as long as you have receivers for them. You can even designate one group as manual and the others in TTL.

Canon 7D / 10-22 / 24-70L / 50mm 1.4 / 100L / 70-200 f4L/ 2 x 580exII / 430exII
"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures."
-Henry Ward Beecher

kaapu
71 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 30, 2012 16:12 |  #335

At last I got them. First complaint is that extra click we have to make when scrolling through. I hope they move the channel option somewhere else if possible.
Second complaint concerns the screen which freezes when cold.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Snapshot edited with a laptop. Gotta experience them in warmer conditions.

http://juhakauppinen.c​om (external link)

josef
47 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 31, 2012 00:46 |  #336

elv wrote in post #13751119 (external link)
Looking forward to the first firmware update, a change to 1/3 stop manual power setting would be number 1 on the wishlist (though that may be expecting more than is possible at this stage).

Fully agree with this one, the full stop between setting's in Manual is a real pain.

@ Kaapu, interesting about the cold, I live in South Africa, so not a problem here. But good to know.

Canon 7D / 10-22 / 24-70L / 50mm 1.4 / 100L / 70-200 f4L/ 2 x 580exII / 430exII
"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures."
-Henry Ward Beecher

DHPHOTO66
186 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 31, 2012 10:44 |  #337

josef wrote in post #13798551 (external link)
Fully agree with this one, the full stop between setting's in Manual is a real pain.

@ Kaapu, interesting about the cold, I live in South Africa, so not a problem here. But good to know.

Yes this would be a valiable update, as for the screen freeing in cold weather that is native to most LCD screens in exteme cold and you can see the Odin is not very insulated against this...As for the clicks, I have figured out its 4 clicks from group A, 3 from group B and so on...I dont even look at the screen anymore

Uncle Donn | http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dhphoto66/ (external link)

ernestoqr
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 01, 2012 14:10 |  #338

Moppie wrote in post #13589028 (external link)
The Odin transmitter needs to be on the cameras hot shoe, but you could use a pass through E-TTL cable with either the Odin or the on camera flash on the cable.

Or, you could put the on camera flash on a bracket with another odin reciever in a different group.

So Moppie if I understand well (and this is something that I was about to ask the forum)
I can use a cable that goes to the hot shoe on the camera , this cable has pass which means that has another hot shoe on top of it and here is where I put my ODIN. and the cable itself has on the other end a hot shoe to put my flash
So this cable pass the information(TTL) from my camera to ODIN and also with same accuracy to the flash that can be mounted in bracket for fill light
Is that correct ?
Where do you find such cable
Thanks

elv
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 01, 2012 17:52 |  #339

ernestoqr wrote in post #13807652 (external link)
So Moppie if I understand well (and this is something that I was about to ask the forum)
I can use a cable that goes to the hot shoe on the camera , this cable has pass which means that has another hot shoe on top of it and here is where I put my ODIN. and the cable itself has on the other end a hot shoe to put my flash
So this cable pass the information(TTL) from my camera to ODIN and also with same accuracy to the flash that can be mounted in bracket for fill light
Is that correct ?
Thanks

I doubt that will work. I have the Phottix duo cord so will try that later with the cord. But Ishoot and Yongnuo have dual cords too which give different results with different gear, so they may still work even if the Phottix doesn't.

If you put the Odin TCU on camera hotshoe, and flash on Odin Rx on top of the on-camera flash bracket, that will work (and no cords needed then).

ernestoqr
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 01, 2012 22:20 |  #340

elv wrote in post #13808868 (external link)
I doubt that will work. I have the Phottix duo cord so will try that later with the cord. But Ishoot and Yongnuo have dual cords too which give different results with different gear, so they may still work even if the Phottix doesn't.

If you put the Odin TCU on camera hotshoe, and flash on Odin Rx on top of the on-camera flash bracket, that will work (and no cords needed then).

yes but that takes an additional receiver/150 USD:lol::o

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,838 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 01, 2012 22:27 |  #341

ernestoqr wrote in post #13807652 (external link)
Is that correct ?
Thanks

I don't know if it will work, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I've used two flashes this way, one on a pass through and one on the cable and the E-TTL functioned for both.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

ernestoqr
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 01, 2012 22:33 |  #342

Moppie wrote in post #13810578 (external link)
I don't know if it will work, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I've used two flashes this way, one on a pass through and one on the cable and the E-TTL functioned for both.

good to know .... this way I can save on the receiver. I will be testing this in a week or so I will let everybody know how it worked.Thanks

elv
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 01, 2012 23:30 as a reply to  @ ernestoqr's post |  #343

Ok I just tried it with the Phottix Duo cord.... and it "almost" really works!

(I'm sure I tried this before and got nothing though, below may expain why)

The main issue is though (if I can try to explain this simply)... if I point both the on camera flash and slave in the same direction, both in ETTL, it will double the exposure.

If I do the same with 2 recievers instead of the cord it gives the correct exposure, not double.

So its just not simple to control ETTL ratios on a subject in any logical way if that makes sense.

With background lights (on Odin RX) set to manual and flash on camera set to ETTL for the subject it works fine! Manual all around also works fine.

I did this both with the flash on the camera end of the pass thru cord and the Odin on the camera end of the pass through cord. Same results.

Now the fine print.. you must have the flash and Odin TCU both connected to the cord and both turned on all the time or the Odin receivers will not fire (maybe this is why I could not get the Odin TCU to work on the cord before)

But more of a concern I got a number of ERROR 99 locking up the camera and also full dumps in ETTL. These were both after I was switching the Odin TCU and Flash to either ends of the cord. I had to fiddle around with setting etc to get them working normally again each time. This may only be an issue because I was changing things around a lot. Time with one set up would tell.

So initial conclusion - an extra receiver for flash on camera (bracket) is much more intuitive to start with, does ETTL correctly (no additional) and has no risk of errors or full dumps etc.

I wouldn't buy the cord just to do this (or in the hope of saving money on an extra RX), but may be worth a play if you already own one (at your own risk).

heckcare.der
245 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 06, 2012 04:36 as a reply to  @ elv's post |  #344

Bought mine the last week!

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7027/6811272725_0664c6a664_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/derrickh/681127​2725/  (external link)
Phottix Odin! (external link) by Derrick H (external link), on Flickr

Love this little piece of gem. Havent fully tested it yet but so far its pretty awesome!

And I found a box that holds everything!

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/6828716955_c2d4feafe0_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/derrickh/682871​6955/  (external link)
Phottix Odin Box (external link) by Derrick H (external link), on Flickr

My website (external link)My Flickr (external link)

JimAndersson
596 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 06, 2012 05:03 |  #345

Subscribed

Canon EOS 5D EOS 1Ds Mark III | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II | Yongnuo YN-560-II

sponsored links

179,143 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.