Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!

heckcare.der
245 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 11, 2012 11:16 |  #346

anyone facing any issues regarding odin not firing properly (sometimes) with 580ex2?

I have 2 flashes set up. both 580ex2. One main, one hair light. Sometimes my hair light doesnt fire up properly. And sometimes my main light seem to be alittle underexpose. Even dialing up the flash compensation output dont really seem to help.

anyone?

My website (external link)My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 11, 2012 11:20 |  #347

The only inconsistencies that I have had seem to be the same ones that I have with Canon's ettl in general. I have never had a single misfire though.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 11, 2012 11:34 |  #348

Has anyone tested the YN 565ex with their Odins. I am thinking about adding a few more flashes if they work well together.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105

elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 11, 2012 17:24 |  #349

sempaidavid wrote in post #13868375 (external link)
Has anyone tested the YN 565ex with their Odins. I am thinking about adding a few more flashes if they work well together.

A few people have reported the YN565's won't work.

The 420ex is interesting though as a few people have said it actually works with the Odins in ettl and manual! Thats interesting because they don't normaly have a manual flash mode. You can buy them cheaper than a 565 and they will do HSS as well.

The other flash I'd like to know about compatibility is the Nissin Di622 MKII. They are better quality and more powerfull than the YN565 for a similar price (still no HSS).

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,841 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 11, 2012 17:47 |  #350

Phottix have said the Yunjuno do not work, but the Nissin's do.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 11, 2012 19:50 |  #351

Moppie wrote in post #13870108 (external link)
Phottix have said the Yunjuno do not work, but the Nissin's do.

Damn

josef
47 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 13, 2012 02:00 |  #352

heckcare.der wrote in post #13868300 (external link)
anyone facing any issues regarding odin not firing properly (sometimes) with 580ex2?

I have 2 flashes set up. both 580ex2. One main, one hair light. Sometimes my hair light doesnt fire up properly. And sometimes my main light seem to be alittle underexpose. Even dialing up the flash compensation output dont really seem to help.

anyone?

Yup, but I think it has to do with the flash recycling in my case, remembering it takes about 2 sec for fully recycle. Not sure if that is the same with you.

Regarding the under-exposure. There is a known bug that there is underexposure when the flash is in bounce mode and the camera is using Evaluative flash mode (mostly when the lens is zoomed to either wide or full zoom, can't remember which). Try changing to Average or using FEL.

Canon 7D / 10-22 / 24-70L / 50mm 1.4 / 100L / 70-200 f4L/ 2 x 580exII / 430exII
"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures."
-Henry Ward Beecher

SpartanWarrior
401 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 13, 2012 08:00 |  #353

aerosmith9110 wrote in post #13239357 (external link)
I bought 2 set of phottix Odin + 4 extra recievers (not all pictured ). cost Php 58T about Php 43 / USD 1...

my complains ( more on missing features ):
1. more than +2 on flash compensation.... ( I would like to see +7! )
2. No +1/3 EV on manual power setting... manual power setting of flash (1/8 +1/3.. 1/4 +2/3.... )
3. No Sync port on transmitter ( TCU ) so we can use to sync even if non canon body units.. non - ETTL of course.. As in like the strato II...
4. 1 dead tcu then the set is useless ... the recievers can't be triggered by the strato II transmitter which is a shame.

Pros:
Reliable according to my short test.
ETTL is accurate too.
Range is better than PW ( according to other users test )

this is a must for ETTL users.

Btw, I've already tried the new firmware. it's the same firmware the odin that I got. Seems that the firmware was for the old odin's that was released before the official launch.

Regarding the ODIN... The distributor of Phottix in my country said there will soon be a nikon version. Just don't know when...

QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

OK those who are interested in its features... any request for me to test? Any questions? I only have 580ex2s! so I can't comment on third party flashes....

Let the questions begin :D

Hey thanks, see I bought the Flex TT5 and Mini TT1, and it seems to work fine in ETTL but, when I set my flash to Manual mode it is useless, I wrote pocket wizard and they told me that in order for me to use the flash in Manual mode I need to put another flash on the Mini TT1 on camera (fat chance). So what I would like to know is with the Odin does having the flash in manual mode work good? as with the pocket wizards it will fire the flash in manual mode but the distant scale reading does not communicate, can you check this out for me so I can order it? thanks;)

Canon 5D III, EF 24-105 f4, EF 16-35 2.8 L II, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, EF 100 2.8 IS L, EF 2x III, EF 1.4x III, 500D 77mm close up filter, Kenko extension tubes set, SpeedLight 600 EX RT, Metz 58 AF-2, Pixel Kings, Benro C3780T Tripod, Benro G3 Ball Head.
www.chrisksphotography​.com (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 13, 2012 09:40 |  #354

SpartanWarrior wrote in post #13877885 (external link)
Hey thanks, see I bought the Flex TT5 and Mini TT1, and it seems to work fine in ETTL but, when I set my flash to Manual mode it is useless, I wrote pocket wizard and they told me that in order for me to use the flash in Manual mode I need to put another flash on the Mini TT1 on camera (fat chance). So what I would like to know is with the Odin does having the flash in manual mode work good? as with the pocket wizards it will fire the flash in manual mode but the distant scale reading does not communicate, can you check this out for me so I can order it? thanks;)

All you need for the PocketWizard TT1 is a $70 AC3 zone controller to go on top. Then you can use any of 3 groups in ETTL or Manual.

Manual works great with the Odins too though, but you can only adjust in full power stops at this stage (not 1/3 stop adjustments).

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

jmaher
571 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 13, 2012 13:19 |  #355

I am considering moving to these. I have the Radio Popper PX system and seem to have intermittent flash triggering problems with a 550EX flash.

I have read the entire thread but am still unclear about a few things. I understand I can control both 550's I have on ETTL and then have another flash group on manual. Does that 3rd group need to consist of Canon flashes or can I use old Nikon flashes like I can with a RadioPopper? In both cases can I set power remotely or is the flash set to manual and power is controlled on the flash itself?

I also have a 220EX - is that supported? ETTL only or can it fire it manually and at different levels even though the flash itself doesn't support this on camera?

One last question the - is there any real downside to having my camera set to "average" instead of "evaluative" when trying to blend flash output with ambient light to add dramatic impact?

My primary camera is a 5D2 with a 1DMk2 as backup.

Thanks for any input.

Jim

adammazza
505 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 13, 2012 14:01 |  #356

jmaher wrote in post #13879476 (external link)
I am considering moving to these. I have the Radio Popper PX system and seem to have intermittent flash triggering problems with a 550EX flash.

I have read the entire thread but am still unclear about a few things. I understand I can control both 550's I have on ETTL and then have another flash group on manual. Does that 3rd group need to consist of Canon flashes or can I use old Nikon flashes like I can with a RadioPopper? In both cases can I set power remotely or is the flash set to manual and power is controlled on the flash itself?

I also have a 220EX - is that supported? ETTL only or can it fire it manually and at different levels even though the flash itself doesn't support this on camera?

One last question the - is there any real downside to having my camera set to "average" instead of "evaluative" when trying to blend flash output with ambient light to add dramatic impact?

My primary camera is a 5D2 with a 1DMk2 as backup.

Thanks for any input.

Jim

You can trigger your Nikon flashes, but can't control them with the Odin. A better option would be to use Stratto or Stratto II receivers for your Nikons. They are cheaper and server the same purpose.

Just like the PW Flex/Mini system you still need to leave your flashes in ETTL mode even if you want to manually control the power. Basically put them in ETTL and forget about them.

Adam

Canon 5Dm3, Fuji X100T, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X70
Canon 70-200mm L F/2.8 IS
Canon 24-105mm L F/4.0 IS
Sigma 35mm F/1.4, Sigma 85mm F/1.4
Fuji 16mm F/1.4, Fuji 35mm F/1.4, Fuji 56mm F/1.2, Fuji 16-55 F/2.8

jmaher
571 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 13, 2012 17:42 |  #357

Adam -Thanks for the info. These sound like a good alternative and use of the Stratto would work for me for non-Canon flashes.

Anyone with answers to the other questions?

Jim

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,841 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Feb 13, 2012 21:41 |  #358

The odin allow you to have 3 groups, in any combination of ETTL and Manual.

I don't believe the 220ex will work, but you can always try it.

The stratos II can be triggered by the Odin transmitter, but the Odin ETTL receivers can trigger a manual flash as well, either from the hot shoe, or via the included sync cables.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

josef
47 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 14, 2012 02:53 |  #359

jmaher wrote in post #13879476 (external link)

Not too much from what I have seen, Evaluative is a newer more intelligent mode, while evaluative is older tech. Best to read up a bit on it. But it works well, I have had no issues.

I know Phottix are working on a firmware update, and they are aware of this issue. So I expect a fix and I am really really hoping that they can make 1/3 stops in manual mode. This would make a lot of people very happy.

Canon 7D / 10-22 / 24-70L / 50mm 1.4 / 100L / 70-200 f4L/ 2 x 580exII / 430exII
"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures."
-Henry Ward Beecher

Subtas
131 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 14, 2012 09:24 as a reply to  @ josef's post |  #360

Guys, sometimes when I zoom in from TCU, the range 70mm - 105mm doesn't change. You can notice that because you don't hear the flash itself zooming.
It looks like the 70mm in the TCU is already the 105mm in the flash.

It's all good when i first turn on the devices but if a let the flahses or camera going in the sleep mode and then awake it stays like said above.

Has it happened to to anyone?

5DIII
16-35L - Canon 100 Macro - 35L - 50L - 85L - 135L
580EXII - 430EXII - Odin
http://500px.com/subta​s (external link)

sponsored links

180,228 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.