Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 01, 2013 19:11 |  #721

I have never had this problem. When I shoot a roller derby bout I am shooting over 1200 shots sometimes and don't have any issues.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

sponsored links
oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,257 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

May 01, 2013 20:29 |  #722

dwdallam wrote in post #15888194 (external link)
Also, when in bulb mode, and second curtain, I was getting a flash at the start and the finish of the exposure. Flashes were all 580EX IIs in ETTL mode. Camera in bulb.

That first flash is ETTL determining the exposure before the shutter opens.

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 02, 2013 00:12 |  #723

oldvultureface wrote in post #15888601 (external link)
That first flash is ETTL determining the exposure before the shutter opens.

Yeah after I tested again today I saw that and remembered that even in manual, you get a stupid pre-flash.
I do have another question: what does the little camera symbol on the upper left of the LCD display mean? Mine always says TTL no matter what mode I am in.

I still haven't figured out the misfire at the first shot--sometimes it happens and sometimes not.

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 02, 2013 06:44 |  #724

dwdallam wrote in post #15889176 (external link)
I still haven't figured out the misfire at the first shot--sometimes it happens and sometimes not.

Still not using good alkalines?

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 02, 2013 20:01 |  #725

elv wrote in post #15889661 (external link)
Still not using good alkalines?

You could email tech support and see what they have to say about it? I already have.

I mean imagine: Only works consistently with alkaline batteries.

huh? This is 2013, not 1998.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,211 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

May 02, 2013 20:22 |  #726

I use eneloops or duracells (rebranded eneloops) in mine and haven't had any problems so far, except when I forget I have the flash on full power and try to fire off consecutive shots before the flash is able to recycle.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,173 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

May 02, 2013 20:50 |  #727

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #15851702 (external link)
I have the Odins and love them. Wireless E-TTL that flat out works in all situations (unlike Canon's optical based wireless that gets confused in bright daylight and when there's no line of sight) is simply awesome.

But is there a way to trigger the receivers with a cheaper manual-only transmitter that can be used on other camera brands? Specifically I'm looking for a way to trigger my Canon Odin receivers and 580EX II flashes from an Olympus E-M5. Is this possible, say with a Strato II transmitter?

The Odin transmitter will trigger a Strato receiver, but a Strato transmitter will not trigger an Odin receiver.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 02, 2013 23:10 |  #728

dwdallam wrote in post #15892034 (external link)
You could email tech support and see what they have to say about it? I already have.

I mean imagine: Only works consistently with alkaline batteries.

huh? This is 2013, not 1998.

I've been dealing with radio trigger manufacturers and engineers for quite a few years now. In general the triggers are sensitive to voltage, and NiMH are lower voltage to start with than the Alkalines. Tech support has no way or knowing if you have a flaky NiMH cell, that's just the nature of them.

I can't speak for the Odin as they've had very little problems in general, but switching to alkaline fixed a number of peoples problems over the years with the PW TT1/5. I always use alkaline when testing triggers otherwise its just one more thing to rule out if there is an issue. The other obvious things are to make sure they are all seated properly and the contacts are clean. There's nothing to say you have to use alkalines, but it would be the first thing I would rule if having any issues.

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 04, 2013 02:50 |  #729

chris_holtmeier wrote in post #15892144 (external link)
The Odin transmitter will trigger a Strato receiver, but a Strato transmitter will not trigger an Odin receiver.

Thanks for the info. That's a bummer.

4g63photo
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 04, 2013 17:29 |  #730

Thanks everyone for all your posts!!! Very helpful. I bought my set about 2-3 weeks ago. Great triggers! No problems at all. Im just waiting for 1Dx support. Also waiting for a simple solution to trigger Einsteins. Still learning flash so not sure what I need to integrate my strobes and an Einstein. :)

-Fernando-
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 04, 2013 21:33 |  #731

4g63photo wrote in post #15897787 (external link)
Thanks everyone for all your posts!!! Very helpful. I bought my set about 2-3 weeks ago. Great triggers! No problems at all. Im just waiting for 1Dx support. Also waiting for a simple solution to trigger Einsteins. Still learning flash so not sure what I need to integrate my strobes and an Einstein. :)

You can use the Einstein connected to an Odin receiver vial PC sync cord (supplied).

If you're after another receiver though just for the Einstein you could save a few dollars going with the Strato II, or Atlas II fully manual receivers.

http://flashhavoc.com …manual/#Phottix​_Strato_II (external link)
http://flashhavoc.com …-manual/#Phottix_Atlas_​II (external link)

adammazza
505 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

May 10, 2013 11:44 as a reply to  @ elv's post |  #732

Hi, so I haven't posted in this thread in a very long time...

Anyway, I've since gotten a 6D, and just now have had time to actually try the Phottix Odins with them. Let me start by saying I am on the most recent firmware.

Two questions/issues/.

1) With my 6D, 580EXII, and Sigma 50mm lens. Should I be able to manually zoom the flash head in TTL mode? This may be a dumb question. I can zoom the flash head when I put the Odin in manual mode not problem.

2) I wanted to test HSS today in mid day sun. I am using TTL mode for this. I first tried on a flower and got what I expected at 1/4000 F1.8 ISO100. Was able to adjust FC in thirds (yay finally) and see the result.

Problem came when I asked my wife to help me out. I was hand holding the flash at arms length and my first show I got what was expected I had to dial up/down FC a third here or there but I figure that's just the variance in hand holding a flash ;).

After a few shots I started getting very erratic results. Mostly over exposing by at least 2.5 stops. In some cases -3 FC didn't help. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with a 6D I didn't get a chance to test without HSS.

thanks

Canon 5Dm3, Fuji X100T, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X70
Canon 70-200mm L F/2.8 IS
Canon 24-105mm L F/4.0 IS
Sigma 35mm F/1.4, Sigma 85mm F/1.4
Fuji 16mm F/1.4, Fuji 35mm F/1.4, Fuji 56mm F/1.2, Fuji 16-55 F/2.8

dwdallam
126 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 14, 2013 16:06 |  #733

Regrading manual flash and preflash, in the 580EX II manual (p.22), it says, "Manual flash: use a handheld flash meter to determine the correct flash output."

This implies there is no preflash in Manual mode.

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,257 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

May 14, 2013 18:19 |  #734

dwdallam wrote in post #15931998 (external link)
Regrading manual flash and preflash, in the 580EX II manual (p.22), it says, "Manual flash: use a handheld flash meter to determine the correct flash output."

This implies there is no preflash in Manual mode.

Correct. Manual is one pop only.

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 14, 2013 21:29 |  #735

oldvultureface wrote in post #15932397 (external link)
Correct. Manual is one pop only.

Are you sure about this? Unless it was changed in the firmware somewhere that is not the case.

Can you get a light meter to work, or fire another slave in sync using an optic slave on that light?

I only have the original instruction manual, and page 22 is in French :-)

sponsored links

181,812 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phottix Odin, Wireless E-TTL that works!!!!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.