Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 09:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Closest thing I've had to a real gig

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 10, 2011 09:29 |  #1

Let me know how I did. I was very nervous.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_6047 - Version 2 (external link) by mckinleypics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_6113 - Version 2 (external link) by mckinleypics (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_6210 - Version 2 (external link) by mckinleypics (external link), on Flickr

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 10, 2011 09:30 |  #2

Cool! you did very well! #2 needs a tighter crop though.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

mckinleypics
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 10, 2011 09:35 |  #3

Thanks! I agree on 2. I actually had them with me when we reviewed them and they said hold off on the crop until they decide what size prints they want.

Dave

mckinleypics
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 10, 2011 12:31 |  #4

For some reasons the links were broken there for awhile. I think they are fixed now.

Dave

whoty
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 10, 2011 12:40 |  #5

Yeah,# 2 has to much head space. I wish I could see the eyes. Especially on #3,I can see her's but not his.
Also,I would lighten the background some on #3.

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)
flickr (external link)

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 10, 2011 13:02 |  #6

I like the poses, and would agree with a tighter crop on #2.

I can't tell the true eye color of any of the people, though. That's what I find so frustrating about trying to photograph people outdoors in natural light (including in open shade). They're either squinting, or the eyes are just too dark. Trying to fix that with strobes and modifiers and/or reflectors is its own hassle.

Gear List

Tigermack
479 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 10, 2011 13:31 |  #7

They look great. Agreed on #2 as mentioned.

Rebel T3i/Tamron 17-50/50 1.8/55-250IS/Rokinon 8mm

Would love to hear some advices, comments.

http://tigermack.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link)

drumsfield
Goldmember
1,596 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 10, 2011 14:53 |  #8

Very nice for your first shoot. It looks like you planned ahead for the most part except for the shoes. Flip flops...

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Feedback and Full gear list
Website (external link)

mckinleypics
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 10, 2011 15:51 |  #9

Ha! It never occurred to me that I should give input as to the clothing. These are neighbors of mine and I kind of just said call me when you're ready. They considered bringing their black poodle. I said, "Great, nothing like a jet black dog in a sea of white shirts to test my skills!"

Dave

SJC ­ from ­ VT
Cream of the Crop
6,995 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 10, 2011 15:56 |  #10

Wow! That's it, everything else has already been pointed out.

*Sandy* "If we all had positive attitudes...we could change the world"
7D ll and 60D plus some other stuff! My Flickr http://flic.kr/ps/FEPL​p (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,400 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 10, 2011 23:33 |  #11

Nice set of images, well lit, well posed, crisp. Agree on #2 - you have to play with it to see what will work. 2/3 works to crop it down well.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

LifeUnFraged
89 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 11, 2011 00:00 as a reply to  @ drumsfield's post |  #12

Yeah, good job!

will227457
260 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 11, 2011 15:37 |  #13

1. hot spot on dads head, faces are in shadow, i would have popped OCF for fill
2. white shirt is totally blown out on the kid, got to keep them oput of the sun
3. this one is the best, dad is still squinting

my best advice is to control the time of day that you shoot...early morning or late afternoon, if they want to shoot at 12 noo id tell them go find another photographer ( i do realize that you did this as a favor) unless you got really big flashs (AB1600) don't try to compete withthe sun. advise client on what to wear I advise against white and black tops, (people love the white for photos, not sure why) but if they insist on the white tops expose for the white shirts, and I always try to mention footwear or some kid will show up in flip flops. see pics 1, and 2

you have a 580, you would be suprised what you can do with a little fill flash get that thing OC buy a cheap light stand and shoot through umbrella.

mckinleypics
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 11, 2011 15:46 |  #14

will227457 wrote in post #13236157 (external link)
1. hot spot on dads head, faces are in shadow, i would have popped OCF for fill
2. white shirt is totally blown out on the kid, got to keep them oput of the sun
3. this one is the best, dad is still squinting

my best advice is to control the time of day that you shoot...early morning or late afternoon, if they want to shoot at 12 noo id tell them go find another photographer ( i do realize that you did this as a favor) unless you got really big flashs (AB1600) don't try to compete withthe sun. advise client on what to wear I advise against white and black tops, (people love the white for photos, not sure why) but if they insist on the white tops expose for the white shirts, and I always try to mention footwear or some kid will show up in flip flops. see pics 1, and 2

you have a 580, you would be suprised what you can do with a little fill flash get that thing OC buy a cheap light stand and shoot through umbrella.

thanks Will!
I tried most of the things you suggested. These were shot at 4:30pm. I cringed when I saw them wearing white but never thought to advise against it before hand. I did try the flash but they wanted a blurry background and I don't have dark filters. When I did use the 580, even dialed down, the pictures were blown out. I also tried a reflector but it was windy and I couldn't get it to stay aligned. I have studio lights but not portable power.

I guess I just need to practice more with fill flash.

Thanks a ton for the advise!!!

Dave

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 11, 2011 17:08 |  #15

Not sure where the concept of white shirts in portraits came from because digital has problems with white as far as exposure. It has notably less exposure latitude in the highlights compared with normal contrast negative film. I've seen exposure problems when a family wears white shirts for portraits. Either the shirts get totally blown out of the image is under exposed to not blow out the white shirts.

sponsored links

1,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
Closest thing I've had to a real gig
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.