Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 16:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200 Sigma f/2.8 OS HSM vs Canon f/4 L IS

ar10
20 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 10, 2011 16:32 |  #1

If picking between these two, what's the consensus here? They seem to be comparable in price, yet they are hardly talked about in the same sentence? It seems the Sigma would be a lot heavier, however they offer the same range.

sponsored links
botw
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 10, 2011 16:40 |  #2

Canon advantages: size, weight, sharpness, weather sealing, super-fast and accurate focusing (not that the Sigma is bad, but in good light the Canon is great)

Sigma advantages: 2.8

What do you need?

www.gc5photography.com (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 10, 2011 17:08 |  #3

I had the f4 IS before, and if I was buying a new lens in that price range and in the 70-200 range, unless I needed the light weight of the canon, I'd go for the sigma no question.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Huck
108 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 10, 2011 21:15 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #4

Its going to depend on what you are wanting to do. The F2.8 will work better for you in low light if that is what you are needing it for. I have not used the Sigma, but have good things about it.

I would buy the Sigma for now and use it until you could afford the Canon version. The sigma lens should hold most of its value for resell.

Thomas aka Huck - Hinton, Oklahoma - Gear List/Feedback
9-1-1 Dispatch Extraordinaire, Photographer, Airplane Enthusiast
Flickr (external link)

borism
Goldmember
3,417 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 10, 2011 22:37 |  #5

I haven't used the canon f4 with IS. I just upgraded my f4 non IS with the sigma.
My un scientific comparison suggest that at f4 sharness with the sigma and the non is is very close.
The f4 with IS should be a little sharper at f4 but if you need low light I'd choose the Sigma as the Canon can't do f2.8.
That is what I did.
Look into the lens threads see if you like what you see.
Weight is something also to consider. The canon is lighter and more compact, but again is f4. No f2.8 will be a light compact lens.
Look here
https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=9155​16&page=29

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 11, 2011 03:39 |  #6

botw wrote in post #13230975 (external link)
Canon advantages: size, weight, sharpness, weather sealing, super-fast and accurate focusing (not that the Sigma is bad, but in good light the Canon is great)

Sigma advantages: 2.8 better build (I've held both, that is my opinion), includes tripod mount ring, zoom and MF rings feel smoother, comes with a proper soft case instead of a floppy bag, much longer warranty

What do you need?

Fixed that a bit.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

muusers
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 11, 2011 04:38 |  #7

Sirrith wrote in post #13233482 (external link)
Fixed that a bit.

Better build? So NO weathersealing and plastic materials are BETTER?

Odd.

50D + 17-55 | s100 | flickr (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 11, 2011 07:01 |  #8

muusers wrote in post #13233566 (external link)

Odd.

The f4 IS is plastic as well.

Have you used either of those lenses?

Edit: Actually now that I think about it a bit more, I'm sure the sigma has a section made from metal near the mount before the zoom ring, so in fact the f4 IS has MORE plastic than the sigma.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 11, 2011 07:04 |  #9

muusers wrote in post #13233566 (external link)

Odd.

Since when isn't the F/4 IS made up largely of plastic? Not that I consider plastic a bad thing anyway, and I agree I do not see how you could criticise the F/4 IS build quality.

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 11, 2011 07:23 |  #10

ar10 wrote in post #13230938 (external link)
If picking between these two, what's the consensus here? They seem to be comparable in price, yet they are hardly talked about in the same sentence? It seems the Sigma would be a lot heavier, however they offer the same range.

I had the Sigma non-OS and swapped it for the Canon f4 with IS (and am much happier). The weight was a big factor for me. I found I was leaving the Sigma at home more often than not, just so I wouldn't have to carry it around with me. Of course, it depends how you're going to use your lens. Mine is often used for activities with my kid, and I find the smaller build of the f4 IS to be much more convenient. I also use it for portraits and outdoor sports, where the Canon also shines. The f4 IS is an outstanding lens in every respect - very hard to find fault with it.

However, my Sigma non-OS was also an excellent lens - just not for me. If you need the f2.8 and don't mind the weight, the Sigma OS seems like a really good purchase. I loved the build and quality of my Sigma, and would certainly consider the OS version if ever I moved back to a f2.8 lens.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

muusers
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 11, 2011 08:32 |  #11

Sirrith wrote in post #13233872 (external link)
The f4 IS is plastic as well.

Have you used either of those lenses?

Edit: Actually now that I think about it a bit more, I'm sure the sigma has a section made from metal near the mount before the zoom ring, so in fact the f4 IS has MORE plastic than the sigma.

I've owned a 70-400 f4 IS for over a year. The external housing is coated metal. The black filter thread, the switches and the focus window are plastic, the focus and zoom ring rubber. Overall the thing is build like a tank ánd weather sealed.

I've never owned the sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS. However I did play with it at my local vendor, as im very interested in that lens...

phreeky wrote in post #13233875 (external link)
I do not see how you could criticise the F/4 IS build quality.

I'm not. In fact, i cant see how the sigma's build quality could be better than that of the F4 IS.

As for the OP; i'd pick the Sigma. Better said; I AM picking the sigma. As phreeky said, plastic doesnt have to be a bad thing... Im sure he sigma is build just fine. As long as you dont throw or drown it.

I've owned a F4 IS, its a wonderfull lens... MFD is a bit shorter than the sigma (1.2 vs 1.4). Its sharp, but from what i read on the interwebs, the sigma is aswell. I sold my F4IS for a 100-400 as I needed more reach. Now i need more speed... So im opting for the sigma.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 11, 2011 09:02 |  #12

muusers wrote in post #13234182 (external link)
I've owned a 70-400 f4 IS for over a year. The external housing is coated metal. The black filter thread, the switches and the focus window are plastic, the focus and zoom ring rubber. Overall the thing is build like a tank ánd weather sealed.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but its not coated metal. Its plastic. Thin plastic at that. I've owned the f4 IS before and own the non-IS now.
The internal parts are probably metal, but then that goes for pretty much all lenses.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

XxDJCyberLoverxX
Goldmember
1,139 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 11, 2011 09:50 |  #13

I'm also interested. As far as optical performance, would the Sigma 70-200mm OS be on par with the Canon F4L IS?

I'm thinking of selling/trading in my Canon for the Sigma. Can I expect the same/similar optical performance (sharpness, color rendition, bokeh)?

Would the Sigma's AF be as fast and accurate as the Canon's?

Daniel
Sony a7 / Sony a7s / FE 24-70mm / FE 28mm F/2 / Samyang 135mm
Nebula 4000 Lite / Manfrotto 190cx
POTN Feedback / My Work! (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 11, 2011 09:55 |  #14

Performance will be similar. You won't notice any difference except maybe the colours unless you pixel peep.

AF on the sigma is very good. The canon is slightly faster.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

muusers
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 11, 2011 10:25 |  #15

Sirrith wrote in post #13234267 (external link)
Sorry to burst your bubble, but its not coated metal. Its plastic. Thin plastic at that. I've owned the f4 IS before and own the non-IS now.
The internal parts are probably metal, but then that goes for pretty much all lenses.

*Sigh* You sure are persistent, even if you've got your facts wrong. I'd say call/mail canon... Ask them. ;)

I'm in for a little wager ;)

sponsored links

2,919 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200 Sigma f/2.8 OS HSM vs Canon f/4 L IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.