Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 00:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can I configure my iMac RAM to have 10GB?

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 11, 2011 00:41 |  #1

I got a 2011 22.5 i7 iMac. According to the Apple site. I can configure my memory capacity up to 16GB (4x4GB). Therefore I'm assuming all iMacs has 4 memory slots. Bear in mind that I have not open my iMac to confirm this.

Having said that. I'm thinking of adding more memory to mine. I do not want to buy anymore 2GB so I was thinking of getting two 4GB.

If this is the case. Will I be able to keep the existing 4GB to the original slot. Then add an additional two 4GB to the remaining slot. This will give me 10GB. Is this configuration allowed?

Lastly is 8-10GB of memory good enough for routines such as LR, Aperture, and PSE, but no video editing.

The reason that prompted this question is because Aperture seems to be halting on me. I chose to go the least amount of memory when I ordered my setup. Knowing that I can do it myself at later date.

Thanks in advance.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 11, 2011 01:07 |  #2

Hmm, your math is off -- you can't add up to 10 GB with the options you mention.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 11, 2011 01:19 |  #3

tonylong wrote in post #13233226 (external link)
Hmm, your math is off -- you can't add up to 10 GB with the options you mention.

lol you are right:oops:. I broke my cardinal rule. Read, read, then read again before pressing the Submit Reply button.

I meant 2x2GB (4GB) plus 2x4GB (8GB) total 12GB. Or should I just not use the 2x2GB and stick to 8GB? I just meant if it's ok to mix 2 and 4 gig card or do they have to be the same when filling all four slots.

My Photographic Gears.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 11, 2011 01:24 |  #4

That would depend on your computer -- I'd personally stick with 2x4 = 8, or 4x6, sixteen!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Marlfox
607 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 11, 2011 01:42 |  #5

Canajun wrote in post #13233258 (external link)
lol you are right:oops:. I broke my cardinal rule. Read, read, then read again before pressing the Submit Reply button.

I meant 2x2GB (4GB) plus 2x4GB (8GB) total 12GB. Or should I just not use the 2x2GB and stick to 8GB? I just meant if it's ok to mix 2 and 4 gig card or do they have to be the same when filling all four slots.

You can mix and match 2 and 4 GB no worries.

But with RAM being dirt cheap now ($50 for 2x4 GIG), it may be worth going for the 16- you will notice the difference with Photoshop and Lightroom/Aperture.

-Geoff-
5d ii / 24-105L/ 85L/ 100 Macro /135L

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 11, 2011 01:48 |  #6

Marlfox wrote in post #13233300 (external link)
You can mix and match 2 and 4 GB no worries.

But with RAM being dirt cheap now ($50 for 2x4 GIG), it may be worth going for the 16- you will notice the difference with Photoshop and Lightroom/Aperture.

Yeah you are right about the cost compared to what Apple charges (Apple charges $600 for the 16GB option). I was just thinking if having 16Gb is overdoing it. Sort of having a Ferrari but can only drive it within the speed limits. Sorry may be a bad analogy.

My Photographic Gears.

Marlfox
607 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 11, 2011 02:38 |  #7

But programs like LR and PS5 will make use of all the RAM you have when editing etc, so it's like having a Ferrari that you drive in the speed limits 90% of the time, but the other 10% is when you're on a track day and can floor it :p.

Bad analogy continuation!

-Geoff-
5d ii / 24-105L/ 85L/ 100 Macro /135L

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 11, 2011 06:48 as a reply to  @ Marlfox's post |  #8

But programs like LR and PS5 will make use of all the RAM you have when editing etc

Would that not depend on your OS?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 11, 2011 07:49 |  #9

No. PSCS5 and LR are 64bit on OSX / intel.
PSCS4 is not however.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 11, 2011 08:38 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #10

I appreciate your input. Thanks everyone.

My Photographic Gears.

sf1
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 11, 2011 18:04 |  #11

Canajun,

I just picked up a 2011 27 inch I7. It comes with 4 gigs of RAM - 2 x 2 gigs, but has 4 slots for RAM. Your machine is built the same as mine, so you have 2 empty slots. I picked up 2 x 4 gigs of RAM and filled the 2 empty slots and am now running 12 gigs of RAM (2 x 2 + 2 x 4).

The machine is faster with Aperture 3 and CS5 - hands down. I would suggest that you pick up 8 gigs of RAM - 2 x 4 and fill the two empty slots - you will not be disappointed.

Canon 5DII, Canon 1D Mark II N
Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8 L, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, Canon 70 -200 mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 400 mm f/5.6 L, Canon 50 mm f/1.4, Manfrotto 055XPROB & 488 RC2
Canon Speedlites 580 EX, 430 EX II & 3 PW II, iMac I7, MacBook Pro, Aperture 3, CS5

Canajun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 11, 2011 19:04 |  #12

sf1 wrote in post #13236823 (external link)
Canajun,

I just picked up a 2011 27 inch I7. It comes with 4 gigs of RAM - 2 x 2 gigs, but has 4 slots for RAM. Your machine is built the same as mine, so you have 2 empty slots. I picked up 2 x 4 gigs of RAM and filled the 2 empty slots and am now running 12 gigs of RAM (2 x 2 + 2 x 4).

The machine is faster with Aperture 3 and CS5 - hands down. I would suggest that you pick up 8 gigs of RAM - 2 x 4 and fill the two empty slots - you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the info. I did not get a chance to get to the computer store today but definitely this week my machine will be upgraded.

My Photographic Gears.

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 11, 2011 20:46 |  #13

I have 16GB of RAM. It's mostly used by the OS as a disk cache, Windows 7 is pretty good at reading data i'll need soon from the disk into memory so it's ready when the application needs it. I bet OSx does that too.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Bananapie
522 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 11, 2011 21:26 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #14

IMHO buy a dual channel 8GB kit online, unless your computer store has crazy good prices...which I would be cautious in assuming.

16GB is too much ram for your setup, methinks. This might sound like a ignorant statement, but capacity is not the only measurement that matters. Yes memory is cheap, but fast, low latency memory in dual channel kits is still going to be more money than is worth spending, as you will be hard pressed to use 6GB even with large photographs...unless you are using like a 50MP camera. :cool:

Likewise, look for sandybridge ready memory from reputable manufacturers. These "badged" sodimms will operate at higher frequencies (usually matching their high end) than if you just get any old DDR3. If multitask programs of memory consequence, look between badged frequencies of 1333 and 1600. Anything higher is pretty pointless. I could get into the importance of memory timings....but I doubt you are going to be overclocking your mac so you don't really have to worry about that.

Check out some of my favorite memory companies:
Patriot
Corsair
Mushkin
G.skill
Kingston

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 12, 2011 00:21 |  #15

Bananapie wrote in post #13237765 (external link)
This might sound like a ignorant statement, but capacity is not the only measurement that matters.

I agree unless your doing heavy video editing or having a high end system 16GB is to much for the average person. Stick to 8GB on dual channel or in the case of triple channel 6GB. If you go above that your going to spend more money and use more electricity for very minimal if any noticeable gain.

http://www.tomshardwar​e.com …-module-upgrade,2264.html (external link)

And don't mix ram that is not of the same type it should be the same speed and size. Years ago many computer owners would mix and match modules because ram was pretty costly. These days you can get quality Ram for record low prices as rebates are everywhere. If you want noticeable performance gains then spend for the faster speed and timings.

sponsored links

5,231 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can I configure my iMac RAM to have 10GB?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.