Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 12 Oct 2011 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A little different take on sports portraits

ProjectL
146 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 12, 2011 08:47 |  #1

These are still being processed, but I'd love some critique!

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6172/6237760544_6c600cdf2f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …northdubphoto/6​237760544/  (external link)
stitcher (external link) by Northdubphoto (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6097/6237236705_d8700470a3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …northdubphoto/6​237236705/  (external link)
_MG_2334 (external link) by Northdubphoto (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 12, 2011 09:14 |  #2

With the right crop, #2 has some potential but not much. The reason I say that is because of your background choice. There's no exif info in the image but it looks to be stopped down a bunch and shot from a distance where everything winds up in focus. As this is a controlled shoot (as in, its not game action so you get to pick every detail) there's no excuse for not being more selective with your background. Sorry if that's harsh but this was fully in your control and I'm not stoked on the choice.

#1, I really don't like anything about it. I applaud the creativity you are going for but the result here isn't something I'd use.

Probably not what you wanted to hear on these but hopefully it gets you thinking a lot about the images and making some changes. Remember, its not just about exposure and sharpness. If you want some unreal examples of sportraiture, google Dustin Snipes and let the jaw drop.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 12, 2011 09:58 |  #3

Hi. These don't really work for me as portraits, for the same reasons as namasste. Its not easy doing this. Also look at Walter Ioos 'athlete' for some amazing shots. I'm trying to figure out how to achieve some of these type of shots, not having much success yet :-(

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

ProjectL
THREAD ­ STARTER
146 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 12, 2011 11:32 |  #4

Thanks for the C&C! I'll look into those photographers work and look at the rest of the 7 gigs to see if anything is a little bit more successful along those lines you described namasste. Haven't been torn apart like that in a while, I truly appreciate it!

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 12, 2011 12:24 as a reply to  @ ProjectL's post |  #5

These do not work for me as portraits.

Best, Bruce

ProjectL
THREAD ­ STARTER
146 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 12, 2011 12:34 |  #6

Hannya wrote in post #13239921 (external link)
Hi. These don't really work for me as portraits

Gizmo1137 wrote in post #13240554 (external link)
These do not work for me as portraits.

Thanks for the elaborate reiteration ;)

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,884 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 12, 2011 12:54 |  #7

ProjectL wrote in post #13240331 (external link)
Thanks for the C&C! I'll look into those photographers work and look at the rest of the 7 gigs to see if anything is a little bit more successful along those lines you described namasste. Haven't been torn apart like that in a while, I truly appreciate it!

I'm sincerely glad you took it for what it was. Doesn't help you a bit if I say how great things look if that's not what I really feel. Dennis, and Chris, and Mike used to give me a beating just about once a week here and in the end, it made me a much better shooter and I am appreciative. Anxious to see what else you have on the card and he hear your impressions of Snipes and Ioos work.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

silverstang23
427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 12, 2011 21:19 |  #8

I think number one would be cool if you maybe figured out a way to combine all the elements of the three "natural" locations...like some how work the soccer field, basketball gym, and volleyball court all together. Or completely contrary to that take them out of the sports field environment all together.

For #2 I would like to see more of her face. Maybe you have another one where you can see more of the subject (and fewer houses)

Kind of off topic, but on topic, but Joel Grimes is one of my favorite "sportrait" photographers

Andrew Walker
Canon 7d, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, Canon EF-S 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon 430ex, Alienbees B800, Vegabod II Flickr (external link) My Website (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,605 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Oct 12, 2011 22:41 as a reply to  @ silverstang23's post |  #9

Afraid it's another "nice try but....." from me too.

#1. Doesn't work for me creatively because my brain tells me its wrong. It isn't the three images of the same girl that are the problem but the three different sports/poses not working together. My brain just tells me they don't belong. It also isn't really clear to me what the diving figure is doing.

I think it would work with the same girl as three players in the same match/sport. One shooting one trying to tackle and one calling for the pass. That way they are all working together.

#2 on the otherhand doesn't work technically for the same reasons given by namasste. The background is interfering to much due to being in focus. I also think the angle is just a little too low, resulting in the foreground grass being too distracting.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

ajaffe
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 12, 2011 23:24 |  #10

Do a triptych so that each sport is in its proper environment, that way you don't have the girl shooting free throws from the center circle on the soccer pitch.

www.jaffe.photo

sponsored links

1,661 views & 0 likes for this thread
A little different take on sports portraits
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.