Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bizarre 7D behavior

lpphreak06
198 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 13, 2011 11:27 |  #1

My 7D is year old now and I haven't had any operational issues until yesterday. I was trying to shoot some pictures in my garage, but when i switched it on, couldn't change the shutter speed. The aperture I can change but it could be changed with both the top dial and the dial next to the LCD. Also none of the buttons to the left of the LCD work and I can't go into video/live view.

I can access those functions only in AUTO mode. The only recent change to the camera really is that I bought a 50L. The settings have remained the same for a long time. The bracketing symbol (+/-) is displayed. I cannt change ISO/AFDRIVE or any other functions unless I'm in auto mode.

I need help!

Any ideas on that it could be?

Canon 7d | Canon 5d MK II | 50mm f1.8(DIAF) | Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.4 | 135mm ƒ2.0 | 50mm ƒ 1.2

sponsored links
va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 13, 2011 11:29 |  #2

did you try a battery pull? main and small battery?

The other day, out of the blue, my 7d started acting dumb as well... aperture wouldn't adjust using the shoulder dial in Av mode... I put my 35L on, and it wouldn't change from f/4 .... had to pull both batteries to make it act right again.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 13, 2011 11:31 |  #3

Have you tried taking the batteries out and putting them back in?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Andy ­ Z
174 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 13, 2011 11:31 |  #4

My first two thoughts are teh internal battery and if using a grip, ensuring it is properly seated. I haven't heard of this. My next thought is one of fear and potential problems internally.

jcox10
110 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 13, 2011 11:40 |  #5

Make sure the lock switch isn't turned on.

S95 | 7D | Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Sigma 8-16mm | 580EX II | 430EX II | Various Strobist Gear | Feisol CT-3442 Rapid w/ Acratech GP-S ballhead

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,926 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 13, 2011 11:43 |  #6

va_rider wrote in post #13245590 (external link)
did you try a battery pull? main and small battery?

The other day, out of the blue, my 7d started acting dumb as well... aperture wouldn't adjust using the shoulder dial in Av mode... I put my 35L on, and it wouldn't change from f/4 .... had to pull both batteries to make it act right again.

This could have been caused by the grip. And no, it's not because you have 3rd party grip. It's happened before on my 40D and I think once on my 7D. What I found was that if the main dial (index finger one) is semi-rotated between the notches on the grip... it will incapacitate the main dial on the body.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

lpphreak06
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 13, 2011 11:46 |  #7

I forgot to mention I have a Canon grip on it. I will try pulling it off.

Canon 7d | Canon 5d MK II | 50mm f1.8(DIAF) | Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.4 | 135mm ƒ2.0 | 50mm ƒ 1.2

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 13, 2011 11:47 |  #8

Interesting... as soon as I pulled the batteries it went back to normal... and the grip was turned off... but... who knows... as long as it doesn't do it again, I'm happy.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

jcox10
110 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 13, 2011 11:52 |  #9

I have had strange behavior on my old XSi with a grip, especially when 2 batteries are in it. With a single battery it is better for some reason...

S95 | 7D | Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Sigma 8-16mm | 580EX II | 430EX II | Various Strobist Gear | Feisol CT-3442 Rapid w/ Acratech GP-S ballhead

lpphreak06
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 13, 2011 12:15 |  #10

The camera works fine with the grip turned off. Once the switch it flipped I have issues. Is it a faulty battery grip? Odd that the grip hasnt had any problems until now...

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,926 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 13, 2011 12:19 |  #11

Maybe something got into or stuck at the index wheel on the grip. Have you tried spinning it around a few times and turn it back on to see if the index wheel on your body works?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

lpphreak06
THREAD ­ STARTER
198 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 13, 2011 12:20 |  #12

Sigh, I pulled both batteries and the grip still acts up when it's on.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 13, 2011 12:20 |  #13

Every once in a while I see some strange behavior from my 7Ds, too. For example, on a couple isolated occasions I've seen the focus mode change unexpectedly. I can't see how I would accidentally bump the M.Fn button to do that myself, but haven't entirely ruled that out as a possibility... (I've long had issues with the mode dial on various cameras' lefthand shoulder... accidentally bumping and changing those. Thank heaven Canon is finally incorporating a locking button on that dial, with the 60D and can be retrofitted to 7D and 5DII.)

I think all cameras these days are prone to "computer glitches", might need a forced reboot to clear memory instructions that get garbled or corrupted, same as a computer occasionally needs. That's just the price we pay for a highly computerized camera! Just like computers, models come and go so quickly they never get fully ironed out before release (thus all the firmware updates) and some of the more minor glitches never do get fully addressed before we're "upgrading" to the latest and greatest model.

Removing all the batteries (inlc. the little silver memory battery), as described above, forces a reboot and clears memory. It's easy enough to try, too... just leave them out for half an hour to an hour... or a faster way is to turn the camera on without any batteries in it, press the shutter release button once... it won't fire but this drains any remaining power from the camera. This works with some models, not with others, but doesn't hurt to try. Reinstall the batteries, turn the camera on and check the date/time. You should need to reset it. If not, repeat the battery removal procedure. Note that at least one recent model - 60D - you can't do this procedure because there's no easy access to the little silver memory battery.

Speaking of compter similarities... For the first year I was using them, I almost feel like a beta tester shooting with 7D's AF system!

OP, as to your grip issues... Have you tried cleaning all the contacts between the grip and the camera? I'd suggest putting a few drops of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on a clean, lint free cloth, then wipe all the contacts with that. You might need to put the cloth over a "tool" to reach the contacts up inside the camera (maybe try a wooden coffee stir stick from Starbucks or similar?). Though I think it's unrelated, while doing some cleaning it might be a good idea to clean the lens-to-camera contacts the same way, both inside the front of the camera and on the back of each of your lenses (be careful not to touch the camera's mirror, lens' optics, etc.) Sometimes finger oils or even manufacturing/lubricat​ing oils even manufacturing residues (new lens) can get on contacts and interrupt the low-voltages trying to cross them. Besides, it cheap and easy to try cleaning them.

Also operate the grip's off/on switch a few times. Those kinds of switches are usually self-cleaning, but only when they are operated occasionally. They can get corrosion in them when not operated often or at all (I leave mine set "on" pretty much from new).

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

bionicle
145 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 13, 2011 12:23 |  #14

I had the same issue with my gripped 7D, I went into the main menu and did a reset to all settings; worked fine afterwards.

I didn't think to take the batteries out :-\

5Dii gripped, 7D gripped, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 24-105mm f4L, 17-40mm f4L, 100mm f2.8L Macro, Sigma 35mm f1.4, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII x2

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,926 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 13, 2011 12:27 |  #15

lpphreak06 wrote in post #13245841 (external link)
Sigh, I pulled both batteries and the grip still acts up when it's on.

Eh? If you pulled both batteries... how did you turn on your camera? :D In any case, it looks like the grip is the culprit here... and my best guess would be that main dial (index wheel). Something's causing it to contact all the time and it's not allowing the body's main dial (index wheel) to register.

Julian

sponsored links

2,241 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bizarre 7D behavior
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.