Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 22:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Critique my website and win a cheeseburger!

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 13, 2011 22:49 |  #1

alright, there will be no cheeseburger

let me know what you like/hate about it. and if theres anything thats hard to look at

or just anything that could be done better

www.chrismallet.com (external link)

sponsored links
karobinson
Goldmember
1,230 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 13, 2011 22:54 |  #2

I like it...nice job,

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 13, 2011 22:56 |  #3

I'm on the iPad...so didn't go crazy in depth...

But I like it.. Pleasing background texture that's not distracting... Smooth transitions... Good load time... No flash... Maybe rename "categories" to portfolio or something similar...

I think overall, you did a very good job.

On your gear list though... I don't think canon makes a 85 /1.4

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

omnom
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 13, 2011 23:06 |  #4

Thanks! Keep em comin!

va_rider wrote in post #13248666 (external link)
On your gear list though... I don't think canon makes a 85 /1.4

Good call! I meant 1.8 haha I guess I got carried away with 1.4's

djphatjive
247 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 14, 2011 14:29 |  #5

I like that site. What theme is that called? I see its a WordPress site.

Canon T2i Rebel with...
Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens, Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
PowerShot SD1400 IS
www.glissmann.net (external link) Other Hobby. www.touchpadgames.com (external link)

omnom
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 14, 2011 14:31 |  #6

djphatjive wrote in post #13251256 (external link)
I like that site. What theme is that called? I see its a WordPress site.

Thanks! It's a heavily modified theme from ProPhoto.

mdvaden
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 14, 2011 14:42 as a reply to  @ omnom's post |  #7

Pretty good site overall.

The switch to first person on the home page is a bit out of the ordinary, but can work.

On the about part, the notes below are some minor things that could be alternatives.

In general though, the site is really smooth looking.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my site! First off let me introduce myself, I’m Chris and I’m a photographer based out of Toronto, Ontario that (who - ?) photographs weddings and engagements all over Canada and beyond. I love sushi, good books, cool couples, warm light and unique weddings. I’m addicted to Modern Family, Dexter, Entourage and How I met your Mother. I listen to anything from classical to dubstep, and (cull the "I") I always have some cold brews in my fridge.
I got my start in photography by working with musicians such as Marianas Trench, Down With Webster and My Chemical Romance (comma + omit "by" ?) by documenting their live performances to aid in telling the story of their successes. Recently I decided to shift my focus to capturing weddings. I believe that everyone deserves to have the most important and historic day of their lives documented. With my combination of technical acumen and creative vision along with a trust between us, you’ll have lasting memories for the rest of your lives.
So, I(i)f you’re newly engaged or just in search of a fun, laid back photographer, take a look through my blog (external link) which documents my personal journey through life, love, business and travels, both through the craft of writing as well as photography.
-Chris

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

CanonGrl01
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 14, 2011 14:46 |  #8

chrismallet wrote in post #13251267 (external link)
Thanks! It's a heavily modified theme from ProPhoto.

Dammit I was hoping to copy it. I suck at 'modifications'. FYI some of your shots are getting red x marks
http://www.chrismallet​.com/category/weddings​/ (external link)
http://www.chrismallet​.com/category/portrait​s/ (external link)
http://www.chrismallet​.com/category/personal​/ (external link)

5Dii | 35L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 430EXII
T2i | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 14, 2011 21:06 |  #9

chrismallet wrote in post #13248714 (external link)
Thanks! Keep em comin!

Good call! I meant 1.8 haha I guess I got carried away with 1.4's

I didn't see a "gear section" of your website, hopefully you removed it since your images should speak for you not the brand or specific equipment you have. Only other photographers and you will care about your equipment. Clients only care about the results.

And you might want to remove the not about "rest assured your images will be at least 12 megapixels". Do you really want to give a statement like that where a client may complain if an image needs to be cropped down or resized due to other issue such as DOF, high ISO, camera shake? Is your main product a digital file or prints? If it is digital files for portraits or weddings, I'm not sure many customers would be able to utilize or even need 12 megapixels when facebook is 960 pixels. ;)

FastCougar
127 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 14, 2011 21:19 |  #10

8 out of 10, but only because of the footer on the home page stating "Stealing my images makes pandas cry, please ask first. :)" ... otherwise a 7 out of 10 because while it's nice and professional looking, it doesn't stand out from the crowd.

Trevor | Canon 7D & T1i | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | Sigma DC 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5

omnom
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 14, 2011 21:22 |  #11

Thanks peeps, I'm going to reword a few things this week and update my FAQs, they're pretty old lol.

CanonGrl01 wrote in post #13251329 (external link)
Dammit I was hoping to copy it. I suck at 'modifications'. FYI some of your shots are getting red x marks
http://www.chrismallet​.com/category/weddings​/ (external link)
http://www.chrismallet​.com/category/portrait​s/ (external link)
http://www.chrismallet​.com/category/personal​/ (external link)

Yeah I know that, I've moved some things around and some photos got lost. Next week I'm fixing all the broken links and adding a whole new portfolio section.

OkiePhoto
52 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 15, 2011 10:30 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Great website. The only thing I would change is the first picture. It is a great pic, it just takes a bit to figure out since the plane is overwhelming. I was wondering what is an airplane doing here. I would use pic 2 or 12 or one that really show a bride/groom close up and then incorporate the airplane picture later in the slideshow. It is a great pic and once I saw the wedding party it was even better.

sponsored links

1,464 views & 0 likes for this thread
Critique my website and win a cheeseburger!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.