Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Oct 2011 (Friday) 09:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What to look for/test when buying a used body in person?

da9k1ne
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 14, 2011 09:14 |  #1

I'm on the verge of buying a XSI in excellen condition for a killer price and was wanting to know what things I should look for and check before making the purchase.

As many suggestions as possible would be great!

Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
raysabz
647 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 14, 2011 09:19 |  #2

i'll go for shutter count then cosmetically wise should be kinda clean or if there's some scratches, should be due to normal wear and tear coz it's a used body.

raysabz
647 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 14, 2011 09:20 |  #3

did i say as much as you can do verify the seller like feedbacks or it's just a risk to take though...

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 14, 2011 09:23 |  #4

It's locally through Craigslist so there's no way to get feedback really

raysabz
647 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 14, 2011 09:27 |  #5

then it's a risk to take...pay through REGULAR paypal

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 14, 2011 10:18 |  #6

Before meeting with the seller download the manual from Canon website and read it, if you're unfamiliar with how it works. Then when you meet with them run the camera through it's paces before handing over your money. Basically there is no warranty with a CL purchase, so make your decisions on that basis and be ready to walk away if you notice anything wrong with the camera.

It might not be an option for you, but I'd take along a fully charged battery, lens that I'm familiar with and know works well, and a small flashlight to help inspect the camera.

Look the camera over carefully to see if there are any signs someone has taken it apart... scratches on or around screws, etc.

You are still taking a risk. Assume there is no warranty, even if the seller tries to tell you they will back it up. (Verbal agreements are only as good as the paper they are printed on.)

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,124 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 14, 2011 10:30 |  #7

Check recent sale prices on our forum to get a real idea of what the camera should sell for.The best and most reliable place to buy from is on our forum.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 14, 2011 11:05 |  #8

Does the seller have the box and/or original extras that came with the camera? CL can be used to sell stolen stuff, if the box and extras are there it's probably not stolen. Do some reading on the CL robberies, people show up with cash and have been robbed - there are guidelines online on how to protect yourself from his happening (meet somewhere public - bank, police station, etc).
If it's all legit, bring a lens/battery and take your time inspecting and testing it. Don't rush it, it's your money.

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 14, 2011 11:28 |  #9

Ya all the accessories are included. The guy is a photographer by profession and this was his backup camera. I like the idea about checking all the screws.

I'll also bring a lens to test it out for sure.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 14, 2011 11:50 |  #10

da9k1ne wrote in post #13250500 (external link)
Ya all the accessories are included. The guy is a photographer by profession and this was his backup camera. I like the idea about checking all the screws.

I'll also bring a lens to test it out for sure.

That sounds good. Get on it before someone else snaps it up...

SpeedyGoo
242 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 14, 2011 15:53 |  #11

- check the foam above the mirror mech for signs of breakdown. (when it does go its messy as hell)
- check for fungus as it will wreck any lens you attach to it.
- check for any signs of dampness, once its been properly wet there aint no going back

da9k1ne
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 14, 2011 19:22 |  #12

got the body, it's in mint condition!

it has 11,9XX shutter clicks on it after checking with the EOS utility software.

is that alot for a camera? what is the expected life?

thanks!

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 14, 2011 21:00 |  #13

Expected shutter actuation is 12K for the XSI.

Just kidding, IIRC it's around 50K :)

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links

1,573 views & 0 likes for this thread
What to look for/test when buying a used body in person?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.