Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 14 Oct 2011 (Friday) 17:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Throwable Panoramic Ball Camera!

Simpleboy
197 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 14, 2011 17:11 |  #1

I did a search and didnt find anything on it, but thought it was cool,

http://jonaspfeil.de/b​allcamera (external link)

The video shows how it works and it looks pretty awesome!

sponsored links
SimpleJack
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 15, 2011 00:12 |  #2

Pretty cool if you don't like image quality :confused:

Canon PowerShot S100

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 15, 2011 10:26 |  #3

http://www.thepostgame​.com …onize-how-we-watch-sports (external link)

I just saw it on Yahoo! Amazing. The computer puts all the different captures into one seemless 36 camera file. It's truly fun to see.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 15, 2011 10:39 |  #4

It'd be fun to fool around with.

fashionphotographer
86 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 15, 2011 20:18 |  #5

SimpleJack wrote in post #13253042 (external link)
Pretty cool if you don't like image quality :confused:

They seem to be trying to find funding to back their concept, so I imagine that with a little venture capital injected into the mix the quality will improve remarkably.

silverstang23
427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 16, 2011 18:38 |  #6

I would buy one if they are affordable. Looks more like a toy then something to take professional images with

Andrew Walker
Canon 7d, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, Canon EF-S 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon 430ex, Alienbees B800, Vegabod II Flickr (external link) My Website (external link)

CiM_Photography
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 18, 2011 12:55 |  #7

It's pretty clear that each shot is exposed individually, rather than an average of what all of them are seeing. There's also a great deal of stitching errors, so a better 360* software should certainly be looked at.

That said, it's a unique idea and could easily go somewhere if it received proper support.

Just call me Jeremy. <Massachusetts Wedding & Portrait Photographer (external link) | Gear List>

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Oct 18, 2011 13:39 |  #8

I don't see this going anywhere. How do you market a ball-camera that shoots panos and nothing else? Very limited use.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

CiM_Photography
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 18, 2011 13:53 |  #9

Easy - you market it to teenagers and include a slingshot device so they can launch it a better distance. NERF does it with their completely fruitless products for ages 9-14... no reason why this couldn't be marketed toward young nerds who have an interest in the world around them and how technology can assist in its documentation.

Just call me Jeremy. <Massachusetts Wedding & Portrait Photographer (external link) | Gear List>

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Oct 18, 2011 13:55 |  #10

CiM_Photography wrote in post #13268534 (external link)
Easy - you market it to teenagers and include a slingshot device so they can launch it a better distance. NERF does it with their completely fruitless products for ages 9-14... no reason why this couldn't be marketed toward young nerds who have an interest in the world around them and how technology can assist in its documentation.

What's your price point?

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 18, 2011 14:09 |  #11

Cool. If it's affordable and stitching improves, I'd definitely take one on vacation. That seems to be the obvious market. Another market would be real estate, wedding venue, conference space applications... perhaps web advertising. We've seen these panoramas before, but this could be affordable, easy to use technology that anyone could throw on the web...

Is the final a flash or quicktime file?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

CiM_Photography
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 18, 2011 14:11 |  #12

AngryCorgi wrote in post #13268542 (external link)
What's your price point?

$100-225, depending on if it's the consumer or pro-sumer model. Pro-sumer gets a pixel upgrade and comes in black.

Nathan
7,893 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 18, 2011 14:16 |  #13

Oh damn... the styrofoam robot cutter beats the panoball any day!

AHernandez
67 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 18, 2011 14:26 |  #14

I don't know about you guys, but when I first saw this a few days ago, the FIRST thought I had was, 'wow, this would be a pretty INTERESTING military asset'. Think about it, you're behind a wall with your squad, you're not sure if there's an enemy positioned behind the wall or embankment. Take out the ball (with military grade-whateverness) and toss it in the air 15-25feet high. Develop some sort of mechanism that'll allow you to see the pictures taken very quickly. Advantage-you.

Canon T1i | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 18-55 IS | Yongnuo YN-565EX | BG-E5 Battery Grip | Tenba Large Messenger Bag

Nathan
7,893 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 18, 2011 14:31 |  #15

AHernandez wrote in post #13268702 (external link)
I don't know about you guys, but when I first saw this a few days ago, the FIRST thought I had was, 'wow, this would be a pretty INTERESTING military asset'. Think about it, you're behind a wall with your squad, you're not sure if there's an enemy positioned behind the wall or embankment. Take out the ball (with military grade-whateverness) and toss it in the air 15-25feet high. Develop some sort of mechanism that'll allow you to see the pictures taken very quickly. Advantage-you.

Enemy doesn't know your position... you throw something in the air and then... THUD... while you examine the image on your field laptop, scrolling 360 degrees... your enemy throws something back... BOOM... Enemy comes over, kicks around the camera ball and laughs.

sponsored links

4,638 views & 0 likes for this thread
Throwable Panoramic Ball Camera!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.