Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 15 Oct 2011 (Saturday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An early horsehead and flame

ramv
123 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 15, 2011 21:27 |  #1

I got exactly 90 mins between moonset and astronomical twilight last weekend and I shot the horsehead and flame nebula. Somewhat low in the horizon. It is my first attempt and I am quite happy with how it turned out. Now I know I want to get a full 8 hours on this object the next time we have a clear moonless night.
Camera : Canon T2i, Takahashi FSQ 106ED on an Astro-physics 600E GTO mount.

Here it is:

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6152/6233210585_d8568037e2_b.jpg

The original image can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ramv/6233210585​/ (external link)

sponsored links
Acamacho
287 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 15, 2011 22:16 |  #2

Amazing!

Gear | Flickr (external link) | Fluidr (external link) | Feedback

Pinhead338
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 16, 2011 01:09 as a reply to  @ Acamacho's post |  #3

Wow!!!

Toxic ­ Coolaid
Goldmember
1,073 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 16, 2011 01:15 |  #4

Very nice. I'd say you're happy with only 90 min on it. It's funny, when I got my 1st scope I couldn't wait for the Moon to be up...now I can't wait for it to go away.

megrac
635 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 16, 2011 02:00 |  #5

Its good but i would hope so looking at the money thrown at your gear :shock:

I'm not sure about the colour of the bright stars.

Nice to see its from a DSLR.

60D | Canon 15-85 | Canon 200mm f/2.8L II | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | 580EX II. And a heap of Astrophotography gear.

jerr6
384 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 16, 2011 13:37 |  #6

very nice! im sure your 8hrs when you get it will be amazing.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/astrographer/ (external link)
http://500px.com/jerr6 (external link)

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,420 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 16, 2011 14:02 |  #7

Very nice. I can see why it would tempt you to go deeper, although that's a lot of IC434 for 90 min.
Is the camera modified for Ha and is that with a LP filter ? The color of the stars have that CLS look about them.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

ramv
THREAD ­ STARTER
123 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 16, 2011 16:10 |  #8

Acamacho, Pinhead, Toxic, Jerr6, Steve. Thanks for your comments. I can't wait to image this area again on a clear moonless night.

Steve: the camera is modded for Ha but I didn't use an LP filter as it was a very dark site. I am very pleased with the performance of the Canon T2i (and 5d mark II). In fact I consistently get much better images than my friend's color CCD over similar length exposures. Mono might be a different story.

Megrac: I paid less for my fully loaded AP mount than most folks do for a G-11. The Tak I bought a couple of years ago when it costed about 40% less than it costs today (thanks to a depreciating dollar). My Tak and Astro-physics scopes steadily appreciate while I derive enjoyment from them.

On my flickr site at http://www.flickr.com …v/sets/72157627​136712042/ (external link) , 90% of my images were shot with canon lenses. My Tak images however display finer detail and rounder stars.

megrac
635 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 17, 2011 01:36 |  #9

Basically i just wish i could have a scope and mount like that LOL. I'm stuck to making my own mounts.

60D | Canon 15-85 | Canon 200mm f/2.8L II | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | 580EX II. And a heap of Astrophotography gear.

ghost128
39 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 17, 2011 04:11 |  #10

Great shot man. This looks like something you would see on APOD.

Space is soo cool!

spit
311 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 17, 2011 11:58 |  #11

nice shot!- question- if you didnt use a LP filter, what was your iso and longest sub exposure?

ramv
THREAD ­ STARTER
123 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 17, 2011 22:30 as a reply to  @ spit's post |  #12

Megrac, save up and wait for deals. They DO show up from time-time. You have to be patient and buy quickly when a deal shows up.

Ghost128, Spit, thanks for your encouraging comments: Spit, I shot this at ISO 1600 with 4 min subs. I read somewhere that the Canon cameras have the best quantization efficiency somewhere around ISO 1600. 4 min subs pretty much gets the entire histogram trailing edge away from the origin quite a bit even at very dark locations.

I'm convinced that it is worth driving an hour extra each way to get to a really dark site. My images from more light polluted areas just don't compare with those from dark locations.

ejicon
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 18, 2011 15:24 |  #13

VERY COOL. I needs a little level adjusting but it's perfect. Thanks for sharing.

5D & 30D| Canon 16-35ii f/2.8 L USM| Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 100 f/ 2.8 Macro USM

ramv
THREAD ­ STARTER
123 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 19, 2011 02:25 |  #14

Ejicon, thanks for your comment.

If this weekend is clear (forecast says cloudy :( unfortunately ) I will shoot this again practically all night. Wish me luck!

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 19, 2011 06:17 |  #15

Very nice indeed, starting to get some nice detail in the clouds. Dont know what sub lengths you used but you might find that accumulating more time starts to make Alnitac hard to control, it is starting to bleed out into the flame as it is. Its a tricky target to get right.

sponsored links

3,884 views & 0 likes for this thread
An early horsehead and flame
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.