Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 01:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newbie getting into strobes. AB's V Elinchrom.

lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 16, 2011 01:13 |  #1

Hi all.

So I am after some help and advice. I am after a my first setup that can be portable. I am thinking one strobe now. I was thinking of getting a softbox with it and using a reflector as well. So softbox right of camera, with the reflector left. I was also thinking a beauty dish for other stuff too.

Now this is where I start to get lost. I was looking at some AlienBees I think it was the B1600 model? with a stand and a vagaboard. I think that setup came in around $1100AU. Now I was also recommend the Elinchrom RX Ranger although this seems alot more portable, it is an extra couple of hundred more..

Now I dont mind saving some more (580EX II will do for a few more weeks), but is the price worth the extra money. People have advised me about the color temp shift with the AB's, but from what I can see in the AB's thread there is some great image being pumped out.

So please any help or advice will go along way to helping me.

Thanks to anyone who responds in this thread!

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeek (external link)

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,502 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 16, 2011 01:54 |  #2

for the price of strobes the Einstein with mini lithium vagabond is a great combo with constant colour from 2.5Ws to 640Ws.

I made the decision due to bang for buck. Having such a low Ws to a respectable 640Ws in one strobe is a "nice" to have.

Strobes seems more of a personal preference decision these days. Many products out there are very good all with pros/cons. Elinchrom is well respected for more coin than a Paul C buff product.

I just sold my Elinchrom 300RX. I'll use photoflex products vs. starting the purchasing spree of Elinchrom Rotalux soft boxes/octa's. I just went with einsteins and just settled for photoflex... for the cost of my 7, 5, and 3 foot octadomes I get alot of modifiers vs less (quantity) Rotalux modifiers that are substantially more. For my uses I'm extremely happy.

More and more you read threads regarding strobes or startup kits its very personal.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

lancebroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 16, 2011 02:03 |  #3

Thanks for the info so far Alan, just so everyone also knows ill be using them outdoors mosting around sunset and dimming light

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |

Daan37
414 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 16, 2011 11:11 |  #4

Ranger RX Speed AS will give you 5.6 w/s to 1100 w/s (8 f-stop range). I take more power for outside shooting any day (overpowering the sun at midday and that kind of circumstances). The need for power to be as low as possible doesn't come across as often for me for outside shooting. But even that is easily done by the Ranger RX. Plus, you'll get a very fast flash duration of 1/5120 with an A-head. Recycle times are 2.9 sec at full power. The Ranger RX is a real workhorse. I have no experience with the AB's.

Canon + Elinchrom | www.daanbarnhoorn.nl (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,502 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 16, 2011 12:32 |  #5

Daan,

I think Lancebroad is refering to the quadra Ranger (400ws) not the Ranger AS speed which is aprox 1000+ dollars more than his aprox $1100 setup.

I was sooo interested in purchasing a Ranger AS speed a while back. The 2200 dollar cost isn't feasible for my style. The VML seems to be a great battery pack and cheap to replace batteries. I recall the weight of the Einstein/vml setup is LIGHTER than a "portable" elinchrom 400Ws quadra with Elinchrom battery pack.

I was able to shoot f/11/Iso 100 with a kacey beauty dish in the afternoon sun with an Einstein with no problems.

Bottom line is strobes becomes personal preference and desired application.

I wanted to jump in the Elinchrom world but cost wise I just put funds towards more FL in lenses. Studio gear wise I think Einsteins are such a great product for the price. Elinchrom Dlites is another budget product but to me I'd rather use Einstein w/ cyber commander (remote) or CST vs Dlites with skyport trigger. For the price of one Elinchrom 600RX you can spend a tad more and have 2 x Einsteins. You can buy into PW flex w/ AC3 and buy PowerMC (PW trigger for Einstein) and control 3 groups silly fast with mechanical dials on the AC3.

It comes down to dollars and cents.

OP mentiond sunset and lower light situations so 640WS on tap is alot of power on tap.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

Daan37
414 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 16, 2011 13:38 |  #6

AlanU wrote in post #13257637 (external link)
Daan,

I think Lancebroad is refering to the quadra Ranger (400ws) not the Ranger AS speed which is aprox 1000+ dollars more than his aprox $1100 setup.

You are probably right... I am used to euros (instead of dollars). When he referred to the Elinchrom RX Ranger, I assumed he was talking about the Ranger RX (and not the quadra).

I am sure the AB stuff is great. I haven't seen it around over here in Europe yet.

Cheers :)

Canon + Elinchrom | www.daanbarnhoorn.nl (external link)

lancebroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 16, 2011 19:28 |  #7

I was looking at this one:

http://www.digitalcame​rawarehouse.com.au/pro​d7770.htm (external link)

Thanks for the help so far guys!

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 16, 2011 19:56 |  #8

AlanU wrote in post #13257637 (external link)
Daan,
.....I recall the weight of the Einstein/vml setup is LIGHTER than a "portable" elinchrom 400Ws quadra with Elinchrom battery pack.

Einstiens
Weight 4 pounds, 5 ounces (without the power cord)
From
http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/e640.php (external link)

Now on to the VML
Weight 3.5 pounds total weight (total system, including battery and inverter)
from
http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/vm120.php (external link)

Total:
~8 lbs

Now on to the Quadra
Flash head weighs just 8.8 oz (less than a pound)

Pack
Weight 3 lbs (1.4 kg)

From
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Ranger_Quadra_H​ead_A.html (external link)

~4 lbs

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

Sheldon ­ N
Goldmember
2,163 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 16, 2011 20:30 |  #9

sigma pi wrote in post #13259146 (external link)
Einstiens
Weight 4 pounds, 5 ounces (without the power cord)
From
http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/e640.php (external link)

Now on to the VML
Weight 3.5 pounds total weight (total system, including battery and inverter)
from
http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/vm120.php (external link)

Total:
~8 lbs

Now on to the Quadra
Flash head weighs just 8.8 oz (less than a pound)

Pack
Weight 3 lbs (1.4 kg)

From
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Ranger_Quadra_H​ead_A.html (external link)

~4 lbs

Specs on B&H are misleading. They are missing the weight of the battery pack. Total weight of pack + strap + head + cable + standard reflector with protective cap = ~8.5lbs

My flickr (external link) | Gear + Feedback

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 16, 2011 21:21 |  #10

Something to note, the quadra head itself is much lighter, with the pack at the bottom of the stand this will be alot more stable then an einstein/VML combo.

After some wind both would need sandbagging, but one would it need more n sooner then the other.

I think both are great set-ups, if youre in AUS, isn't the einstein n VML somewhat expensive?

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

raksphoto
510 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 16, 2011 21:47 |  #11

lancebroad wrote in post #13259034 (external link)
I was looking at this one:

http://www.digitalcame​rawarehouse.com.au/pro​d7770.htm (external link)

Thanks for the help so far guys!

This Elinchrom kit looks like a fantastic system for location work.

I just wanted to mention my experiences with Alien Bees. I did not find them so robustly made, even for use just the studio. For example, the speedring interface did not seem so robust. And I did not feel I could trust the integral handle lever to last a long time. The plastics were not nearly as strong as Norman's that I was used to for local foto shoots. Not saying they are bad lights, because I certainly completed my shoot with them in a studio in LA, and they worked well ... but they just would not be on my list of must-haves, for studio and location work.

2x 7D Mark II | 70D | 5DSr
EF-S 10-18mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM |
EF-S 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L |
EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.2L | EF 35mm f/1.4L EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM MACRO

vid1900
557 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 16, 2011 22:50 |  #12

The guys at the local rental joints all say that the ABs are rather durable. The replacement flashtubes are something like $34 (that's 100s less than some other brands).

If you ever want to know about the quality of any lighting gear, bring good coffee and a box of doughnuts to the rental shop. Those guys know more about accelerated wear than probably the manufacturers themselves.

No bragging list - I just rent whatever the job requires.

checkgio
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 17, 2011 09:06 |  #13

I went with the Elinchrom 500 BXRi and I love them. Although they are only 500 w/s they come with a built in receiver for their Skyport system. Using the Skyport transceiver, which is addinal, you can not only trigger the light, but you can control the power as well as the modeling light. This to me is priceless, you don't have to bring that boomed light back down just to change the power. Here is the setup I went with that works perfectly:
Elinchrom 500 BXRi kit that comes with 90 degree reflector and 40" umbrella - $631
Skyport Transmitter - $120
PCB Vagabond Mini Lithium - $240
Total $991
Hope this helps

www.glophotography.net (external link)

mdelrossi
65 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 17, 2011 09:19 as a reply to  @ checkgio's post |  #14

I've had Elinchrom 500r's for the past 20+ years. never gave me a bit of trouble.
I can't find any flashtubes for them now, but they don't owe me anything either.

I picked up a quadra ranger off craigslist and couldn't be happier.
There is something to be said for the weight in the pack not at the top of the stand.
Pity though that you need the adapter to fit most of the modifiers, but that's the price of admission.

Skyport system is simple and great.

For the most part (with some exceptions) light is light. it depends on the photographer how it gets used.

good luck
mdr

Instagram: www.instagram.com/delr​ossiphotography
Facebook:www.facebook.com/Micha​elDelRossiPhotography (external link)

Executive ­ Images ­ Photo
835 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 17, 2011 09:56 |  #15

Ive always used AB's for any of my work. Never did I have any issues with them. Used 3 AB800s to light a car outside as well as used some of the AB800s for my inside work. I really havent felt the need of a AB1600. :-)

WEBSITE: www.ExecutiveImagesPho​tography.com (external link)
GEAR: Canon 5D MK2 --- Canon 7D --- Canon 20mm f2.8 --- 24-70mm F2.8L --- 70-200mm F2.8L IS

sponsored links

1,898 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newbie getting into strobes. AB's V Elinchrom.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.