Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 02:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Microadjust Software for 5D2

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
15,549 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 15, 2013 12:49 |  #1381

Johnny V wrote in post #15530037 (external link)
It's worth it. Trying to do it manually I drove myself crazy figuring out which adjustment setting is the sharpest as the targets all look the same sharpness after a while.

Exactly my problem and I stopped using it. Always second guessing myself after the fact. I have always wanted something to tell me what was out, not me trying to figure it out.

I'm still on the fence about purchasing it. I have been sending my lenses to Canon if I thought they were out. It is not the $100.

Another thing that turned me off to MFA was there were so many methods out there. Why was someone always coming up with a better method? Canon has a method - surprisingly not in the manual so you had to hunt for it. Kinda like giving you a car manual, telling you how to change the oil but no information on what type of oil to use. You go on forums and everyone has different advice. We are working with expensive high precision equipment. Canon takes all types of measurements so it is tuned in for all focal lengths.

I'm convinced the product is solid but I'm still confused about distance. One method including Canon states 50X focal length, another states 25, one 20 to 40, one advanced, respected birder swears by minimum focus or focal point. I can't remember as it been along time since I explored this. Even the owners manual states for best results to MFA at the actual location.

I was waiting for the MAC version to come out and when it did I still held on. I have a new 70-200 2.8II that I think is a bit off. My 7D/300L F4 combo is bang on with no MFA and I use that as a benchmark. I'm debating on either sending the 70-200 to Canon or getting FoCal. I guess the latest is to choose a distance you most often shoot at?

So help me decide. Do I send the lens in which is a real pain or try FoCal? Taking advantage of the W and T range on my 5D3 is appealing. Just that distance thing is stopping me from pressing the "buy now" button.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
evoman
115 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 16, 2013 12:48 |  #1382

So I took the plunge and purchased the FoCal software since I simply never could deal with the various manual methods and so this is the first time I have done any micro-adjustments on my 5Dii.

The good news is that it was really easy to use, though I am going to try it again tomorrow earlier in the day when it is brighter (especially for my f4 lenses).

The bad news is that, after waiting four years to actually do any micro-adjustments on my 5dii, the adjustments were pretty small overall (especially the lenses I use most). Yes, that is also good news - camera and lenses seem to be pretty close to proper focus....

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 16, 2013 13:06 |  #1383

evoman wrote in post #15616573 (external link)
The bad news is that, after waiting four years to actually do any micro-adjustments on my 5dii, the adjustments were pretty small overall (especially the lenses I use most). Yes, that is also good news - camera and lenses seem to be pretty close to proper focus....

this is the experience of most people. That's why they call it micro-adjust.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

dexy101
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 17, 2013 13:05 |  #1384

[http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/11872​47 (external link)

id10t
273 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 18, 2013 08:49 |  #1385

I used it yesterday on a 135L and hope to try a couple of other lenses today. I don't have focal so I can't compare the two. If someone here could do a comparison it would be very helpful to someone like myself who has resisted to spending the $60-70 for focal.

6D/ 24-105 f4 IS/ 85 f1.8/ 70-300L IS

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

May 11, 2013 21:19 as a reply to  @ id10t's post |  #1386

Just set up an old Windows laptop to dedicate for FoCal, and noticed that their License Management System page is down, throwing HTTP 500 Server errors. Can anyone else get to it?

You out there Rich??

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 12, 2013 01:52 |  #1387

No problems accessing LMS for me in the UK.

EDIT : Oops! Scratch that. I can get to the LMS page, showing my licence details, serials etc., but the software downloads are unavailable.

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,143 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

May 12, 2013 07:48 |  #1388

Just to give you an idea how "good" the Reikan's support is:

My ticket with them ("{Urgent Enquiry} - FoCal is crashing when starting") is now listed as having been opened for 134 days, with certain Rich Meston assigned to work on it. This Rich is apparently not in a habit of rushing things: the last response on my ticket was posted 4 months ago.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 12, 2013 07:52 |  #1389

LMS download links are working now.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,228 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 03, 2013 13:48 |  #1390

I have the original release of this software...1.1.0.40.

I had emailed him about updates, but never heard back.

in any case, I just switched to a new laptop, so I went to install this software again.

when I copy and paste the license file, it says "the license code entered does not contain a start marker". I copied and pasted the entire code, including the ## at the beginning and end....

am I missing something?

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

RAW-Shooter
903 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 03, 2013 15:00 |  #1391

PLLphotography wrote in post #15995487 (external link)
I have the original release of this software...1.1.0.40.

I had emailed him about updates, but never heard back.

in any case, I just switched to a new laptop, so I went to install this software again.

when I copy and paste the license file, it says "the license code entered does not contain a start marker". I copied and pasted the entire code, including the ## at the beginning and end....

am I missing something?

Updates are available on his web site and you have to log in to get the newest version (1.8.1) Link:http://www.reikan.co.u​k/rtlwebmain/ipn/licen​se.aspx (external link)

HTH

BoKo
Olympus OM-D E-M1X | Oly 12-60mm f/2.8-4 SWD | Oly 40-150 f/2.8 PRO | Oly 300mm f/4 PRO | and a bunch of good old manual lenses

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,228 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 03, 2013 15:03 |  #1392

I was never given a log in.

what happened was, in the early pages of this thread is when his software was made aware. I had contacted him to tell him that he was getting a growing interest in his software and invited him to the thread. we also suggested "donating" to his project to help encourage and speed along progress.

he was nice enough to those of us who donated, and gave us a copy of his finished product (v 1.1.0.40). this was before he had created a database of customers and gave them logins to get updates.

I'm still getting that irritating message about the license code entered does not contain a start marker.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

kenjancef
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 03, 2013 15:25 as a reply to  @ PLLphotography's post |  #1393

The login info is your email address you used to purchase the software, and the password is either the PayPal order number, or a serial number of one of the cameras you had registered with. If you didn't "officially" pay for it, I'm not sure what you can do. Maybe try to email agan, and also maybe send a tweet to @Fo_Cal.

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,228 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 03, 2013 15:28 |  #1394

i'm fine with the version I have. I just want to be able to install it without getting that error.

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,604 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 04, 2013 07:18 |  #1395

PLLphotography wrote in post #15995861 (external link)
i'm fine with the version I have. I just want to be able to install it without getting that error.

Yes I think that was the original beta version he released to some people, which has since expired and you now need to purchase the software.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D III | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 85L 1.4 IS | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

sponsored links

213,378 views & 0 likes for this thread
Microadjust Software for 5D2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.