Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 04:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is autofocus on the 5D Mark II better than T2i?

Fahad79
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 18, 2011 04:16 |  #1

I was wondering if the autofocus performance is the same (or similar) in these two cameras.

Finally getting to know the limits of the T2i's AF.

Thank you : )

sponsored links
Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 18, 2011 10:04 |  #2

I think it actually may be worse. It uses the same AF as the original 5D.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

phil7533
379 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 18, 2011 10:21 |  #3

from my.. very limited use so far with the 5dii.. i have to agree. maybe a steep learning curve, but a lot of my shots are oof. i think it has to do with my use of wide open primes

Invertalon wrote in post #13267317 (external link)
I think it actually may be worse. It uses the same AF as the original 5D.

24 - 50 - 85

JoYork
Goldmember
3,079 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 18, 2011 10:25 |  #4

The outer focus points are not so good in low light but the centre-focus point is pretty good in my experience.

Jo
Flickr (external link)

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 18, 2011 10:31 |  #5

It's about the same or better than my 30d. Center point is fairly good, but makes recomposing "fun" with primes wide open.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 18, 2011 10:41 |  #6

You know, I have used the 85L and 135L with the outer points in one-shot mode a few times and has been really good? I have not run into an issue where its as bad as many say.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 18, 2011 10:59 |  #7

At first glance, 5DII and T2i focus appear similar: 9 points and only the center one is the more sensitive cross type in both cameras (same in 30D, BTW.... 40D, 50D, 60D and 7D use all cross type points, though the center one is still more sensitive).

Some folks refer to 5D series outer points, other than the center, as "worthless". I don't go that far... They are just more limited... fine for static subjects... just don't try to track a running deer or speeding car or football pass with them!

However, the 5D series is unique in that it has 6 more "hidden" AF points arrayed close, right around the center one. You can't see the AF points in the viewfinder, they can be enabled as a needed, but only work in AI Servo (moving subjects). These assist points also are not cross type. AFAIK, no other Canon cameras have this AF feature.

Moving subjects are the 5D's weakest performance area. No doubt that's why Canon provides the assist ponint feature. But even with that, the camera is still not as good tracking. Sure, you can use 5D series for moving subjects... You'll just have more missed focus shots when the camera struggles to track.

T2i should be better with moving subjects, particularly if you limit it to using only the center point (I have only played around with T2i a little... I've used 30D extensively and they are definitely better than 5D series, tracking moving subjects).

T2i, 5DII and even 30D are all fine with static subjects, using One Shot.

Actually, often you'll see a bigger difference in focus performance due to lenses. Big max apertures mean more light reaching the array of focus sensors, so can make a difference. USM lenses are generally faster focusing (there are exceptions, more specialized portrait lenses such as 50/1.2L and 85/1.2L are USM but designed more for precision, less for speed... macro lenses, even with USM, also tend to be a bit slower because they have to move their focusing groups a long, long way).

Sports-oriented lenses such as 70-200, 300/4, 300/2.8 are designed for speed. They lock on in an instant. But some general purpose and even portrait lenses such as 85/1.8, 135/2 are quite quick, too. 50/1.4 and 28/1.8 are plenty fast, too.

USM also enhances focus accuracy and consistency to some degree.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Fahad79
THREAD ­ STARTER
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 18, 2011 12:09 |  #8

Thank you all for the quick replies.

So as far as AF goes, there's not much sense going to the 5DII (unless for the full-frame).

amfoto1 wrote in post #13267602 (external link)
Actually, often you'll see a bigger difference in focus performance due to lenses. Big max apertures mean more light reaching the array of focus sensors, so can make a difference. USM lenses are generally faster focusing

Here's my problem though with the T2i: although I have a 135/2 and a 30/1.4, I don't feel the autofocus is consistently fast/accurate as I expected from either lens.

I figured it's just an entry-level DSLR and I should expect such limitations.

edit:
I also don't like manual focusing the T2i through the view finder when I set the lens to a large aperture; it's hard to see the focus point, especially in low light situations.

I guess I'm out growing the camera : )

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 18, 2011 12:22 |  #9

As much as the 5D/5DII AF gets slagged in these forums....provided you can fill the spot-metering circle with your subject, AI Servo with the 6 hidden points is more accurate on my 5D than on any camera I have had (20D, 1DII, 1DsII, 7D). It is NOT faster than the 1D's or 7D, but when it can keep up to the subject movement, almost every shot is tack sharp, whereas my 7D can keep up with faster moving subjects but the focus is never quite as perfect. And the outer points are fine as long as there is some contrast to the subject, even for tracking to some extent.

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

sponsored links

3,271 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is autofocus on the 5D Mark II better than T2i?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.