Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Oct 2011 (Wednesday) 08:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Practical uses of Ethernet in DSLRs?

Fahad79
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 19, 2011 08:45 |  #1

With the announcement of the 1D X, I found it interesting that Canon included networking capabilities into the camera (in the form of Ethernet).

Also, from this canonrumors.com post (external link), they might be including the same capability into all their cameras sooner or later (the article states WiFi in the Rebel).

Regardless of how networking is implemented, I was wondering what practical applications would networking have in the photo/video producing industry.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Any speculations?

Please share your thoughts.

P.S. Wouldn't WiFi be a more practical than Ethernet?

sponsored links
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 19, 2011 08:48 |  #2

Well can you do an HD video feed over it or something?

Also WiFi in a camera to do untethered "tethered" shooting would be very nice for studios, as well as anyone on the sidelines of a sporting event I can imagine. And if I just had to turn on my camera to let LR sync the photos wirelessly, that would be cool too.

Gear List

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 19, 2011 10:38 |  #3

My guess is that it will show up like a networked share when you plug it in and you can access it like a NAS. Gig-E is faster than USB 2.0...however I'm not sure why they just didn't make it USB 3.0 and call it a day as that is faster with less overhead than ethernet. And it's not like the files will be that huge. RAW 18mp images are in the ~20-40mb range usually (unless this thing is recording even more dynamic range, which would increase the size of the file).

I also find Gig-E to be an interesting inclusion. It seems to me that wireless N would have been more practical from a wireless shooting standpoint.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Jumpcut
182 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 19, 2011 20:15 |  #4

I'm guessing the function is mainly for sports shooters. Many major stadiums have ethernet points around the sidelines. I think that's why they went with ethernet because it's already in place at venues.

It means photos can be sent out to the press room etc, without needing to dump them to a pc first or physically run a card to the photo editor.

Darren

5D III, 7D, 40D, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 50 II, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, EF 24-70 F2.8L II, EF 70-200L f2.8 IS, EF 24-105L f4 IS, 580EXII, Elinchrom Skyports, 2xVivitar 285HV Flashes

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 19, 2011 20:25 |  #5

Just think about the possibilities ethernet gives....

1. Power of the Internet..... Download pictures off the camera to any destination on the planet. Really, it can be done today by downloading to laptop, and then to any destination, but this has the possibility of getting rid of the middleman or laptop as it were.
2. Ethernet supports much faster download speeds - Offload the camera much faster (theoretically).
3. Ethernet is more reliable than USB networking.
4. Ethernet cables can reach further distances... 100 meters currently vs. 5 meters for USB.
5. Ethernet does not require the installation of device drivers, while USB does.

David

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sunking39
403 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 19, 2011 20:38 |  #6

[QUOTE=Keyan;13273484]​My guess is that it will show up like a networked share when you plug it in and you can access it like a NAS. Gig-E is faster than USB 2.0...however I'm not sure why they just didn't make it USB 3.0 and call it a day as that is faster with less overhead than ethernet. quote]

Because of the cable length limitations of USB?

jiddle
298 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 19, 2011 20:41 as a reply to  @ davidc502's post |  #7

would there be a way to write files directly to a hard drive via ethernet cable, bypassing memory cards?

5dmkiii | 17ts-e | 35L | 50L | 90ts-e | 135L | flickr (external link)

miguelr
469 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 19, 2011 21:31 |  #8

I'm waiting for a DSLR that post pics to Facebook automatically.

miguelrphoto.com (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 19, 2011 22:37 as a reply to  @ miguelr's post |  #9

It will be handy for remote cameras at sporting events (eg a remote over the basket in the roof at a basketball game)
No waiting for the end of game to get the images, just run a long Ethernet cable to the wall, and down the wall to an easily accessed location on the floor
At half time plug the camera in and grab the pics.

I do think wireless would be better though.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

rdompor
671 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2011 23:06 |  #10

I believe that many pros asked for ethernet. Previously, the a separate WFT transmitter would have to be purchased and attached to the camera in order to run the cable, but this feature replaces that entirely.

Ramon
ULTRAMONTAGNE (external link)
Website (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,597 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 20, 2011 00:09 |  #11

According to release note this camera is oriented for forensic and other highly paid imaging services due to crazy high ISO of this camera. If it supports one gig, it means you could plug it to wireless router and stream high ratio frames triggered by motion sensors, for example.
Forget these pro in the studio, those two options opens another market for Canon, where 7k price range is peanuts.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Bananapie
522 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 20, 2011 00:31 |  #12

^ Indeed.

Two years ago my company sent me out on a mission to build a system for Multicare. They needed extremely large (150mb+) images sent as fast as possible across a network that needed to be designed from scratch so that it would not pound on their current infrastructure. Obviously the X wouldn't fit the bill but it does show where Ethernet is relevant to science institutions.

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 20, 2011 00:46 as a reply to  @ Bananapie's post |  #13

I see a LOT of potential problems with this. If there is no implemented encryption how will anything transmitted be protected from theft? The world wide web is bad enough but openly transmitting images or streaming video without at least a rudimentary encryption system would seem to me to be inviting image theft pretty easily.

Am I wrong here?

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 20, 2011 00:52 |  #14

SPAM at POTN :lol:

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 20, 2011 00:55 |  #15

If you work for a wire service like AP or Getty you would see the value in the Ethernet cable. If your editor wants files SOOC you can now hop on the nearest router and send them over. Or take the royal wedding for instance. Everything was transmitted via the WFT. Now there's a quicker, lockable, and wired source.

I also believe the cameras can be tempted triggered via Ethernet now. This is awesome for those several remotes around the stadium.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

sponsored links

6,557 views & 0 likes for this thread
Practical uses of Ethernet in DSLRs?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.