Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 20 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 09:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DmkII AF

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 20, 2011 09:07 |  #1

Hi,

Can someone clear this up for me?

I want to shoot video of a hockey game (my childs in a tournament this weekend).

I was planning on using AF Quick mode. Will this track and keep the focus on the subject as they move around on the ice or do I have to keep refocusing manually at the same time?

I haven't used video yet with the camera - first time will be at the tourney.

Thanks

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 20, 2011 10:56 |  #2

Autofocus doesn't really work for video use. AF quick works by lowering the mirror and using the AF sensor to focus, but this can't be done without interrupting the video. The other AF modes do work in LV but are slow and useless for moving subjects.

There isn't really much that can be done here, in real-world video recording focusing is performed manually and viewed on a monitor or viewfinder with peaking, and focus distances sometimes measured out in advance when the situation allows.

Real sports are shot on cameras that have much more depth of field, and the lenses have dual AF sensors that scan in both directions at once, allowing the focus to lock on instantly. The AF point is moved around by a joystick and is much more responsive than the one on Canon cameras.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

altitude604
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 20, 2011 13:07 |  #3

^ oh how i wished for AF when working the broadcast cameras for the Horse Track. lol

Erik - Three Miles Final (external link)
- Gear List -

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 20, 2011 23:44 |  #4

Well seeing how I work in the "Real Sports" world, I'll just say this. There is no AF for professional sports video cameras. It's all done manually. I have friends that operate those large, 17X lens, sports cameras and can keep a baseball in focus all the way out of the park.

I was shooting stills of my son's basketball game tonight and at one point I turned the camera back to horizontal and shot a few minutes of video. I was using my super cheesy, but highly effective jar opener focus lever on my 24-70L from the baseline. I had no other supports or apparatus to shoot video. It didn't turn out too bad other than I was too busy messing with the camera to seriously watch and follow the game properly.

Overall, I think that maybe you could actually shoot sports with these cameras with the right set-up, but there are so many other better options to do this. I was shooting stills at ISO 2000 and kept it there to shoot the video so maybe it wasn't all that great, but even with the basic focus puller, I was able to keep things pretty well in focus and that was with no rig, monopod or any other support. I was also shooting at f2.8. So if you had lets say a youth soccer game on a sunny, Saturday morning you could easily shoot it at f11 or smaller and have some super deep DoF.
With a rig, my basketball effort could have looked a lot better. But I wasn't there to shoot video. So I switched it back to still mode and laid it over to shoot in vertical orientation and kept shooting stills.

Yeah, my son's team won the game pretty handily.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 21, 2011 01:35 |  #5

^ oh how i wished for AF when working the broadcast cameras for the Horse Track. lol

Well seeing how I work in the "Real Sports" world, I'll just say this. There is no AF for professional sports video cameras. It's all done manually. I have friends that operate those large, 17X lens, sports cameras and can keep a baseball in focus all the way out of the park.

Well I admit I was stretching it a bit, as there are few field lenses that can actually AF, usually reserved for the 27 (external link)~100x (external link) range. Fuji's recent PF line (external link) of compact (13x/22x) TV lenses have AF, but no less than $40k for any of them.

Other than that, as ChasWG says, use a higher ISO (not much more than 1250, IMO) and stop down some. Jar opener for focus is more effective than it sounds, and cheap too.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

632 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DmkII AF
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.