Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 09:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T2i to 50D

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 21, 2011 08:31 as a reply to  @ post 13283773 |  #16

I had this same problem. I couldn't decide between a 7D, 50D or 60D. The T2i was terrific, but I really longed for the QCD I had on my Elan. Also, I needed to be able to turn off "exposure simulation" for working with studio strobes which wasn't possible on the T2i. Then there was the fps and a few other things.
The 50D just isn't a good comparison. The build quality is there, and the micro focus adjustment, but that's about it. The 60D will allow you the ability to use the pop-up as a wireless master trigger just like the 7D. So I almost chose the 60D.
But then I went to best buy and experimented with both of them. The 7D feels a world apart in the hands. The level, multi-function button, custom button assignments, focusing system, etc are just amazing. It seemed like overkill at the time but I'm VERY glad I did because the great thing about the 7D isn't just the features but the way they make those features easy to access and use! Now just after a few months, changing the focus point, metering, focus system, switching ti AI or servo, etc can all be easily done without ever taking my eye from the viewfinder.
Unless you have a need for an articulated screen or you just can't afford it, I would highly recommend the 7D. You can get it through the Canon Loyalty Program for about $1069. That should be less than a $200 difference.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links
ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 21, 2011 09:32 |  #17

i had the T2i to 7D discussion in my head earlier this year, and i realized that its more camera than i need. as for 5D2... thats a dream, but same argument as the 7D. i am a hobbyist, and while id love an FF, i dont have the means to switch to it (grad school loans are kicking in)

the reason i am looking at a 50D now is that it gives me a benefit, while only losing video and ISO6400, for a minimal cash outlay, as price-wise, these 2 bodies look to be around the same price.

i am going to borrow a friend's 40D to see how it feels, etc

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

jolyroger7
232 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 21, 2011 17:38 |  #18

I never could see the point in upgrading Rebel to Rebel. I never use Canon branded hotshoe flashes, so wireless flash control is useless for me. Unless you tend to print big or crop a lot, more MP are useless also. What I feel you could get out of a xxD or 7D, is better ergonomics. Ergonomics are not just about comfort, but usability. You can stare at spec sheets all day long, but until you use a prosumer body, you won't understand the value of the better control interface. I'm not saying xxxD/xxxxD bodies can't take great images. I'm saying xxD/xD bodies are designed to make settings changes easier, which may lead to capturing images you may have missed otherwise.

No, I'm not a professional photographer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
1Ds MKII |1DMKIII | EOS M | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 85 | Canon 135L | Sigma 150 OS | Canon 17-40L | Sigma 24-70 2.8 | Sigma 70-200 II | Canon 100-400L IS

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 28, 2011 12:05 |  #19

so, i got some hands on time with the 40D as a proxy for a 50. first impressions (related to me wanting to switch)

it definitely feels much better in the hand. my pinky still tends to hang, unless i consciously adjust my grip, but im guessing the addition of a grip to a XXD body will help.

im used to changing settings on the main screen on my t2i, which i cant do on the 40D, but i understand the 50D has this ability. getting used to dual dials, and the multitude of buttons on top would definitely take getting used to - right now, i know where the ISO and Av buttons are on my t2i, so i can change ISO and aperture (in M) without bringing the camera down.

i could not really tell the diff between the viewfinders - i didnt feel like the 40D pentaprism was better than the t2i's pentamirror.

the rez of the back screen was atrocious compared to my t2i, but i understand that the 50D has a much improved screen

focusing - definitely felt a bit snappier. i know the xxD series has all 9 sensors as cross-type vs just the center one on my t2i.... but i am curious, does this REALLY matter if I use center-AF 100% of the time? also, a dedicated AF-On button was lovely.

W/B.... this seemed to be crap on the 40D. i was shooting in my apartment, with the regular lights on. my t2i manages serviceable images with auto-WB, but no matter what setting i tried on the 40D, the w/b seemed to be way off. even custom (metered off my gray crumpler bag - i know, its not 18%, but its still gray), didnt seem to be that fantastic.

lastly.... i tried my 24-105 on the 40D and it was great. but as soon as i popped on my sigma 30, it seemed like the camera didnt like the lens. it works and focuses just fine on my t2i, but for some reason on the 40D, it seemed like every picture was overexposed and OOF. i couldnt find anything as far as microadjust on the camera in the settings (though i prob didnt dig far enough), and AFAIK my friend never owned a sigma 30 so its not like the camera had microadjust info saved. once again, something i need to test further.

so, long story short.... im still torn about moving up to a xxD body. there are improvements, but at the same time, i dont yet know if its worth making the switch (going thru the process of selling the t2i, looking for a 50D or getting a refurb thru canon loyalty, switching my memory from SD to CF, etc)...

hopefully, some productive criticism of my comments here will convince me one way or the other. i ask those who wish to comment to do so without stating obvious things like "well if you didnt like it, just dont switch"... id like to make an informed decision based on my observations and those of others, based on previous experiences.

thanks to all!

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 28, 2011 13:47 |  #20

I've not used T2i or any of the Rebel series very extensively, but can compare 50D with 60D/7D, which share some feature with T2i/T3i.

50D has just a little less resolution... Not enough difference you'd notice most of the time. 15MP vs 18MP. By default, 50D images seem a little more "natural", while 60D/7D (and by extension T2i/T3i) seem to render a more "punchy" image. Of course, either can be dialed up or down as you see fit, in post processing or by changing settings in the camera.

50D uses the same Digic 4 processor that's in 5DII, 7D, T2i, 60D, T3i. And all are 14 bit cameras (you have to go back to 30D and 5D classic, to find 12 bit RAW files).

Yes, all 9 points in 40D/50D/60D are cross type. It's perfectly capable of handling fast moving subjects and situations... noticeably better than 5DII, even. Probably better than the Rebel series, too... though I haven't used any of them enough to say from experience... since the Rebels have only one cross-type AF point, at the center, same as 5DII. The center AF point on 40/50/60D is even more sensitive, still the best to use if possible.

Another difference, 40D/50D/60D all have a true pentaprism, while the Rebels use a penta-mirror that makes the viewfinder smaller and a little less bright. 7D's viewfinder is the best of the bunch (5DII's or 1D series is even better), but the 50D's or 60D's would be a nice step up from the Rebel's. You won't notice the difference between pentaprism and penta-mirror much until you are shooting in low light situations. The lens' max aperture also is a factor, so you'd have to use the same lens on each.

For me, 50D's micro focus adjust is important and it's lack on the 60D is one reason I'm not very likely to use that model. I really can't believe Canon omitted MA on the 60D. That was dumb. 40D and earlier don't have MA, either. Among the 1.6X cameras, only the 50D and 7D have had it.

50D uses a 35 zone metering system, same as 5DII/5D classic and earlier xxD models, compared with the newer 63 zone (iFCL or somthing like that, Canon calls it) used in T2i, T3i, 60D and 7D. You won't see any significant differences in most situations, though I do think the new system handles strongly backlit situations a little better.

The xxD cameras controls allow for faster settings changes, and with practice it can be done without removing the camera from your eye.

The joystick also allows for fast changes in AF point selection, without removing your eye from the viewfinder. If you use a grip and shoot vertically a lot, the joystick on the 50D (et al) isn't as easily reached with your thumb. The 60D's new multi-controller is likely better placed in this respect, but would require a joystick user to get used to the new type of controller.

The LP-E6 batteries in the 60D (and 7D, 5DII) are good for about 50% more shots, compared to the BP511A used in the 50D. And better info is available on battery condition, in the camera's menu. However, LP-E6 are also considerably more expensive, when you consider that clone/third party BP511A are widely and cheaply available. Costs have come down on LP-E6, and there are now pretty comparable third party available at a bit less cost (but you have to be careful they are compatible with Canon charger and the camera's battery condition readout system).

I haven't used the smaller LP-E8 that are used in the T2i enough to know for certain, but would guess that the shots per charge are close to the same with BP511A, while shots per charge of LP-E6 would be noticeably greater.

50D uses Compact Flash, which I personally prefer over the SD memory cards used in the recent Rebel models and 60D. I just have nightmares about losing the smaller cards or letting them go through the laundry in a jeans pocket!

I don't have any idea what was up with your 30mm lens on the 40D. Though I haven't use that particular lens, I've used a wide variety of other lenses on a series of Canon models, really only see any of them "bog down" noticeably on 5DII (which has an AF system more similar to the Rebel series, than to the xxD series.... though it's not really same as the Rebel either... 5D series actually has hidden "Assist/Expansion" points to try and help AI Servo work better).

If you use back button focusing and BG-E2/E2N battery grip that fits 50D (actually 40/30/20D too), you have to assign the BBF to the * button and live without easy access to AE Lock. This is because the battery grip doesn't have the AF On button. It's not really a big deal... I still swap the buttons on my 5DII and 7D, because the * is closer and larger and I prefer to use it for back button focusing.

50D has user interchangeable focus screens. I use the grid or "D" type in mine... also in 5DII. 60D, 40D, 30D all use the same screens. Not sure if the 20D does too. (Note: I guess it's possible to fit third party focus screens to the Rebel series, such as Katzeye Optics, but it's more involved to change them out, not designed for an easy switch.) 7D instead has that fancy "active matrix" screen, with grid on demand and that reconfigures the AF point array depending upon what you have set. I guess the new 1DX is going to have something similar to the 7D's, as well as some (all?) of the 7D's unique focus modes.

50D is a more durable camera. Shutter is rated to 100K, compared to 75K with most Rebel (some older or more entry level might be only 50K). 60D is also 100K, while 5DII and 7D are rated for 150K. Of course, these are just estimates of durability, not a guarantee. 50D has a metal chassis and is metal clad, while I think all Rebel are plastic over plastic, and 60D has metal chassis but is mostly plastic clad.

Speaking of the shutter, 40/50/60D offer 1/8000, while I don't believe the Rebel series go over 1/4000. Also, flash sync on xxD is 1/250... It's 1/200 on the Rebel series (and on 5D series, due to the larger shutter no doubt). Note that most studio strobe require slightly lower sync speed. And, most of these cameras can be used with High Speed Sync flash (Canon and perhaps some others), that allows much faster shtuter speeds but seriously limits flash distance.
No video with 50D.

And it doesn't have the built-in wireless flash control of some of the later models. However it can be fitted with ST-E2, which in a few respects might be better than the built-in wireless flash control. (It doesn't overheat as easily and doesn't rely upon visible light flashes to communicate with the remote flash... and it can provide IR focus assist in low light situations.)

I never had any trouble setting Custom White balance with 50D. I have yet to meet a Canon model that I think does very well with indoor tungsten or "warm white" compact fluorescent lighting. IMO, they all render it too yellow. Common household CFL, in particular, are poorly balanced and there's a lot of color variation from one brand to another... plus they flicker at a high rate, which can mess with exposure and WB. I use Lastolite white balance targets and like the results I get in a variety of types of light.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 28, 2011 13:49 as a reply to  @ post 13283853 |  #21

I had the 50D. Sold it when I was sick a couple years back. When I started over I got the T2i. I like it, but the the differences to me are:

The 50D feels so much better in the hands. It feels like a professional camera (cause it kind of is--stronger body, weather-sealed, etc.).

The 50D shutter makes a great sound. It's a low click. More like the word "clock". Whereas the T2i has a whiny shutter sound like all rebels do.

The 50D can fire off more frames per second.

The 50D's screen has almost the same resolution as the T2i. It's pretty close.

If it's going to cause you to lose a lot of money, don't bother. But, yes, you'll feel better with the 50D. It won't get you better images, but you'll enjoy carrying it more. Much more solid feel.

Keep in mind, however, that the 50D can't do video.

Thank you. bw!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 28, 2011 13:53 |  #22

Oh yeah, what the guy said above me: The 50D has two control wheels instead of one.

So, when shooting in manual on the T2i, you have to hold a button while using the control wheel to change aperture. That's hard to do without taking your eye off the subject.

With the 50D you can easily control aperture and shutterspeed while looking through the viewfinder, keeping your eye on the subject.

And again: The 50D's shutter sound is awesome.

Thank you. bw!

jolyroger7
232 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 28, 2011 15:39 |  #23

ekinnyc wrote in post #13320742 (external link)
so, i got some hands on time with the 40D as a proxy for a 50. first impressions (related to me wanting to switch)

im used to changing settings on the main screen on my t2i, which i cant do on the 40D, but i understand the 50D has this ability. getting used to dual dials, and the multitude of buttons on top would definitely take getting used to - right now, i know where the ISO and Av buttons are on my t2i, so i can change ISO and aperture (in M) without bringing the camera down.

The point of the xxD, is that you don't need to use the main screen, because doing so means you are no longer pointing the camera at your subject, and images are passing you by. It takes time to learn, but I've found it was worth it.

No, I'm not a professional photographer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
1Ds MKII |1DMKIII | EOS M | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 85 | Canon 135L | Sigma 150 OS | Canon 17-40L | Sigma 24-70 2.8 | Sigma 70-200 II | Canon 100-400L IS

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 28, 2011 17:50 |  #24

ekinnyc wrote in post #13278913 (external link)
no matter how much i try to tell myself otherwise, the T2i just feels like a toy, even gripped. has anyone made this switch?

from what ive read, 60D is also more consumer than previous xxD bodies, and the 7D is just overkill for me.
i know what i gain (solid construction, better hand-feel, faster fps, better viewfinder) and what i lose (1 extra ISO stop, video). since i dont use video, i dont care about losing it really. how far apart are these as far as the tech goes? they are about 18 months apart.

is this a worthwhile move?

probably not, but if the T2i feels like a toy you will probably think it's a toy and that may affect the quality of your photos.
If you don't care about the image resolution, ISO performance, HD video etc. of the Rebel and and believe the 50D will help your photos - go for it

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 28, 2011 20:36 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #25

The 7D has 19 cross type AF sensors. It also has this killer zone AF system. At first it seemed like a silly feature. Then it confused me. But now I can't imagine parting with it.

It also has 3 spots on the dial where you can set a configuration and save it to that dial. So say I always shoot sports at shutter priority with auto ISO, 1 stop EC, zone AF tied to the camera orientation with back button focus lock in jpeg with a landscape style florescent balanced...I can set that to C1 on the knob. Then C2 can be 100 ISO fixed, aperture priority, expanded single point AF not tied to orientation, -2/3 exp comp with +1/3 FEC with wireless enabled in a 1:3 ratio in RAW+JPEG for senior pics. Now each time I change types of photos I don't have to double-check every last setting. :-)

Then there is that awesome 8fps which i never thought I would need till my daughter started in color guard.

But best of all is the feel.

Really, go get your hands on a 7D before you decide. If it's not right for you, then it's not. But that's what sold me.

BTW - you can send in any piece of junk canon camera for the CLP. Even a crappy broken 3.1MP point and shoot or even a broken 25 yr old EOS 650 film camera.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 28, 2011 21:30 as a reply to  @ kfreels's post |  #26

These are pictures from a Canon T2i.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Once, photographic equipment was judged by its capacity to create images. That standard is now obsolete.

Osa713
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 28, 2011 21:53 |  #27

amfoto1 wrote in post #13321188 (external link)
I've not used T2i or any of the Rebel series very extensively, but can compare 50D with 60D/7D, which share some feature with T2i/T3i.

50D has just a little less resolution... Not enough difference you'd notice most of the time. 15MP vs 18MP. By default, 50D images seem a little more "natural", while 60D/7D (and by extension T2i/T3i) seem to render a more "punchy" image. Of course, either can be dialed up or down as you see fit, in post processing or by changing settings in the camera.

50D uses the same Digic 4 processor that's in 5DII, 7D, T2i, 60D, T3i. And all are 14 bit cameras (you have to go back to 30D and 5D classic, to find 12 bit RAW files).

Yes, all 9 points in 40D/50D/60D are cross type. It's perfectly capable of handling fast moving subjects and situations... noticeably better than 5DII, even. Probably better than the Rebel series, too... though I haven't used any of them enough to say from experience... since the Rebels have only one cross-type AF point, at the center, same as 5DII. The center AF point on 40/50/60D is even more sensitive, still the best to use if possible.

Another difference, 40D/50D/60D all have a true pentaprism, while the Rebels use a penta-mirror that makes the viewfinder smaller and a little less bright. 7D's viewfinder is the best of the bunch (5DII's or 1D series is even better), but the 50D's or 60D's would be a nice step up from the Rebel's. You won't notice the difference between pentaprism and penta-mirror much until you are shooting in low light situations. The lens' max aperture also is a factor, so you'd have to use the same lens on each.

For me, 50D's micro focus adjust is important and it's lack on the 60D is one reason I'm not very likely to use that model. I really can't believe Canon omitted MA on the 60D. That was dumb. 40D and earlier don't have MA, either. Among the 1.6X cameras, only the 50D and 7D have had it.

50D uses a 35 zone metering system, same as 5DII/5D classic and earlier xxD models, compared with the newer 63 zone (iFCL or somthing like that, Canon calls it) used in T2i, T3i, 60D and 7D. You won't see any significant differences in most situations, though I do think the new system handles strongly backlit situations a little better.

The xxD cameras controls allow for faster settings changes, and with practice it can be done without removing the camera from your eye.

The joystick also allows for fast changes in AF point selection, without removing your eye from the viewfinder. If you use a grip and shoot vertically a lot, the joystick on the 50D (et al) isn't as easily reached with your thumb. The 60D's new multi-controller is likely better placed in this respect, but would require a joystick user to get used to the new type of controller.

The LP-E6 batteries in the 60D (and 7D, 5DII) are good for about 50% more shots, compared to the BP511A used in the 50D. And better info is available on battery condition, in the camera's menu. However, LP-E6 are also considerably more expensive, when you consider that clone/third party BP511A are widely and cheaply available. Costs have come down on LP-E6, and there are now pretty comparable third party available at a bit less cost (but you have to be careful they are compatible with Canon charger and the camera's battery condition readout system).

I haven't used the smaller LP-E8 that are used in the T2i enough to know for certain, but would guess that the shots per charge are close to the same with BP511A, while shots per charge of LP-E6 would be noticeably greater.

50D uses Compact Flash, which I personally prefer over the SD memory cards used in the recent Rebel models and 60D. I just have nightmares about losing the smaller cards or letting them go through the laundry in a jeans pocket!

I don't have any idea what was up with your 30mm lens on the 40D. Though I haven't use that particular lens, I've used a wide variety of other lenses on a series of Canon models, really only see any of them "bog down" noticeably on 5DII (which has an AF system more similar to the Rebel series, than to the xxD series.... though it's not really same as the Rebel either... 5D series actually has hidden "Assist/Expansion" points to try and help AI Servo work better).

If you use back button focusing and BG-E2/E2N battery grip that fits 50D (actually 40/30/20D too), you have to assign the BBF to the * button and live without easy access to AE Lock. This is because the battery grip doesn't have the AF On button. It's not really a big deal... I still swap the buttons on my 5DII and 7D, because the * is closer and larger and I prefer to use it for back button focusing.

50D has user interchangeable focus screens. I use the grid or "D" type in mine... also in 5DII. 60D, 40D, 30D all use the same screens. Not sure if the 20D does too. (Note: I guess it's possible to fit third party focus screens to the Rebel series, such as Katzeye Optics, but it's more involved to change them out, not designed for an easy switch.) 7D instead has that fancy "active matrix" screen, with grid on demand and that reconfigures the AF point array depending upon what you have set. I guess the new 1DX is going to have something similar to the 7D's, as well as some (all?) of the 7D's unique focus modes.

50D is a more durable camera. Shutter is rated to 100K, compared to 75K with most Rebel (some older or more entry level might be only 50K). 60D is also 100K, while 5DII and 7D are rated for 150K. Of course, these are just estimates of durability, not a guarantee. 50D has a metal chassis and is metal clad, while I think all Rebel are plastic over plastic, and 60D has metal chassis but is mostly plastic clad.

Speaking of the shutter, 40/50/60D offer 1/8000, while I don't believe the Rebel series go over 1/4000. Also, flash sync on xxD is 1/250... It's 1/200 on the Rebel series (and on 5D series, due to the larger shutter no doubt). Note that most studio strobe require slightly lower sync speed. And, most of these cameras can be used with High Speed Sync flash (Canon and perhaps some others), that allows much faster shtuter speeds but seriously limits flash distance.
No video with 50D.

And it doesn't have the built-in wireless flash control of some of the later models. However it can be fitted with ST-E2, which in a few respects might be better than the built-in wireless flash control. (It doesn't overheat as easily and doesn't rely upon visible light flashes to communicate with the remote flash... and it can provide IR focus assist in low light situations.)

I never had any trouble setting Custom White balance with 50D. I have yet to meet a Canon model that I think does very well with indoor tungsten or "warm white" compact fluorescent lighting. IMO, they all render it too yellow. Common household CFL, in particular, are poorly balanced and there's a lot of color variation from one brand to another... plus they flicker at a high rate, which can mess with exposure and WB. I use Lastolite white balance targets and like the results I get in a variety of types of light.

I made the switch from the t2i to the 50D for all of those reasons. I love the 50D

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

jolyroger7
232 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 29, 2011 04:07 |  #28

DC Fan wrote in post #13322902 (external link)
These are pictures from a Canon T2i.

Once, photographic equipment was judged by its capacity to create images. That standard is now obsolete.

If that is to be the only standard, then let's all go get 300D/Digital Rebels. In good light, with a relatively static subject, and average print size, you can reliably create awesome images with the Digital Rebel. I can also do my job with two screw drivers, a pair of Vice-grips, and a 24 volt test light, but I drag a 45 pound tool box, through every airport known to man. Why, because I know I work better, and get better results with the proper tools. If you browse any of the body sample threads, you will find great work. Any Canon DSLR will get the job done well, but if someone is looking for enhanced handling, xxD/xD/1D bodies, are a step in the right direction. Not everyone will use enough of the feature set of the various lines, to justify the move. There is a reason Canon makes a full line of cameras. Different people have different needs/wants/priorities​.

wisv1k
387 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 29, 2011 05:00 |  #29

I went through the same thing but went from a t1i to 50d. Why? For me it simply came down to ergonomics and handling. The more I started to shoot the more the size and operation of the rebel drove me nuts. I will be the first to admit that from an IQ standpoint there is no difference to my eye. I do, however get more keepers shooting kids sports due to frame rate obviously. I was able to sell my t1i and bought the 50d through the CLP so I didn't lose much money. If I had the cash I would have jumped to the 7d and been more than happy for many years but I simply did not have the cash. If you do, seriously consider that. If not you will not regret going to a 50d, I promise you that.

hensgonwild
132 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 29, 2011 07:50 |  #30

i had a rebel XTI before i upgraded to the 60D. the main difference i feel between the two is how much better it felt in my hand. my hand is able to wrap around the grip rather than pinching. with the additional buttons and scroll wheel i am able to change shooting modes, ISO, aperture, and shutter speed much quicker and direct. as for whether you want the 50D or 60D, i chose the 60D cuz of the swivel screen when i want to take some video and also the occasional "stick my arm up above everyone else so i can see" shot. also i chose the 60D over the 50D is cuz of the wireless flash master control. that option is what made it worth it for me cuz i couldnt afford the 7D.

Gear: Canon 60D || Sigma 18-50 f2.8 Macro || Canon 55-250 f4-5.6 || Canon Macro 100 f2.8 L IS || Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS || Speedlite 430EX II
Feedback-Lowepro NOVA 180AW

sponsored links

4,642 views & 0 likes for this thread
T2i to 50D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.