Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 20 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 11:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Milkyway nightscapes

2cruise
Goldmember
4,113 posts
Gallery: 491 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 11, 2017 12:59 |  #3616

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18325158 (external link)
Looks VERY good to me!

Thank you!

5D Mark IV~70-300mm f4L IS~16-35 f4L IS ~Zeiss 21mm 2.8~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~ Zeiss 100mm f2 Makro Planar~Rokinon 14mm 2.8~Lee filters
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,199 posts
Gallery: 322 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 11, 2017 13:16 |  #3617

2cruise wrote in post #18325135 (external link)
I'm still struggling with the MW especially in regards with noise.

Zeiss Distagon @21mm | 15s. | f/2.8 | ISO 3200

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SsWR​c7  (external link) Early at Bodie Lighthouse (external link) by Whisle (external link)

The stark white balance change along the MW band is a little distracting to me. It appears very purple while the surrounding sky is more blue.

What are you using for Noise Reduction?

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Littleoldman
216 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 11, 2017 16:58 |  #3618

mikeearly wrote in post #18305831 (external link)
My humble contribution

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mikeearly in
./showthread.php?p=183​05831&i=i77309939
forum: Astronomy & Celestial

Smokin!!!!

2cruise
Goldmember
4,113 posts
Gallery: 491 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 11, 2017 18:54 |  #3619

TRhoads wrote in post #18325222 (external link)
The stark white balance change along the MW band is a little distracting to me. It appears very purple while the surrounding sky is more blue.

What are you using for Noise Reduction?

Everything was done in LR6. Just about wore the sliders out. Just need a better process and more practice.

5D Mark IV~70-300mm f4L IS~16-35 f4L IS ~Zeiss 21mm 2.8~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~ Zeiss 100mm f2 Makro Planar~Rokinon 14mm 2.8~Lee filters
My Flickr (external link)

oximuis
412 posts
Gallery: 121 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2014

Apr 11, 2017 22:37 |  #3620

TRhoads wrote in post #18325109 (external link)
this answers my question...can the sky be seen enough at these Ruins to warrant a visit...answer is yes...probably not this month, but maybe next month when I am there. Great image.

The sooner the better!!!!

Canon 5D Mark IV,Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100-400 Mark II L, Canon 24-70 Mark II, Tokina16-28, Tamron70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC, Samyang 14mm 2.8

Desumi
55 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 12, 2017 00:15 |  #3621

This is one I took the other night on the East Coast of Australia
5 pictures I manually blended together, first time doing this, any tips would be greatly appreciated

IMAGE: https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/207354023/m%3D900/f6f1c204cb1e9c9608fa261062e675c8

Jack Alcock
Byron Bay
Canon EOS 600D, 15-85mm lens

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,670 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 12, 2017 07:57 |  #3622

Desumi wrote in post #18325681 (external link)
5 pictures I manually blended together, first time doing this, any tips would be greatly appreciated

QUOTED IMAGE

I'm no expert but you might start with longer exposure times.

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Samyang 2/12 | Sony/Zeiss E 1.8/24 | Sony E 1.8/50
flickr (external link)

Feedback

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,199 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 12, 2017 08:09 |  #3623

2cruise wrote in post #18325503 (external link)
Everything was done in LR6. Just about wore the sliders out. Just need a better process and more practice.

2cruise wrote in post #18325503 (external link)

I have found that LR just doesn't have enough capability to really edit the MW. I can do the basic edits in LR, but I really use PS a lot more, particularly for editing the colors of the core, trying to bring those colors out.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,038 posts
Gallery: 554 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 12, 2017 08:26 |  #3624

QUOTED IMAGE

What are your settings? Looks like you need higher ISO and longer exposures. Also it looks like a bright moon is just out of the frame, for best results try and shoot a dark sky on a new moon

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
RX1R II | α7R III | Voigtlander 15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | Batis 85

Desumi
55 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 12, 2017 08:51 as a reply to  @ idsurfer's post |  #3625

Yeah I generally do make it slightly longer exposures, just one of my darker pictures

Jack Alcock
Byron Bay

TCampbell
446 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 12, 2017 10:30 |  #3626

QUOTED IMAGE

That looks like a very tranquil night scene, but I'm not seeing any Milky Way in your image. You'll want to make sure the Milky Way is "up" in the sky. From your general part of the planet, that's probably around midnight or later (this time of year - it'll change as the year progresses). To help identify when and where the Milky Way should be visible you can use some software. I have Sky Safari Pro on my phone and Starry Night Pro Plus on my desktop computer -- but these may be more than you need for planning Milky Way shots... you can get Stellarium for your desktop computer (it's free software) and a very popular app for planning Milky Way shots is called PhotoPills (not free but I don't think it's expensive.) The brightest part of the Milky Way (near the core) is in the direction of the constellation Sagittarius. You can use software to determine when Sagittarius will be above the horizon (and preferably in a direction facing "away" from any sources of light pollution. That means that as it rises near the east, you'd want any cities or towns that might be sources of light pollution to be "west" of you so you're not shooting through light pollution (I'm not familiar with your area so I have no idea how easy or hard it may be to find a nice dark sky location.)

I'm noticing a bright area just out of the edge of frame (top -- slightly left of center). Was the moon out?

Ideally you'd shoot these near the "new moon" so you're guaranteed to have a moonless night. But you can use a 1st quarter or last-quarter moon if the moon isn't out when the Milky Way is up. A 1st quarter moon is up in the evening ... but as long as the moon sets before the Milky Way is rising around midnight then that's still fine. A last-quarter moon rises a hours before dawn... so if you can get your imaging done before moonrise then that's ok too.

The extreme light glare from the moon will brighten the background sky to the point that you'll probably struggle to see any Milky Way with the moon up.

rezcar
Goldmember
1,296 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Apr 12, 2017 16:24 |  #3627

TRhoads wrote in post #18325889 (external link)
I have found that LR just doesn't have enough capability to really edit the MW. I can do the basic edits in LR, but I really use PS a lot more, particularly for editing the colors of the core, trying to bring those colors out.

Agreed. I've followed a bunch of tutorials on YouTube but the work flow is pretty long and hard to replicate, for me. I've recently created a "recipe" as it's called in Nik which I'm starting to like more and more.

Fotostream
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/59148177@N06/ (external link)
#re240zcar
"Image quality is not the product of a machine, but of the person who directs the machine, and there are no limits to imagination and expression." - Ansel Adams

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,199 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 12, 2017 17:15 |  #3628

rezcar wrote in post #18326307 (external link)
Agreed. I've followed a bunch of tutorials on YouTube but the work flow is pretty long and hard to replicate, for me. I've recently created a "recipe" as it's called in Nik which I'm starting to like more and more.

I use NIK Color Efex and Viveza quite a bit on my MW images...control points are great.

Desumi
55 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 12, 2017 23:20 as a reply to  @ TCampbell's post |  #3629

Hey, Thanks for all the tips much appreciated

Generally I do shoot on the new moon, or on a quarter either side of it, I took this one on the full moon for pure scenic purposes.
To highlight the area that I grew up in.

The moon was just above the shot, as I wanted the light to be noticeable, but not prominent.

Normally I get the rotation of the earth

IMAGE: https://drscdn.500px.org/photo/207489313/m%3D900/d4a4096b3b0f334fa47ff7d8f90570e5
Normally I try to get something like this.

I find the light sensor in the 600D isnt enough to grab the full effect of the Milky Way.

I shall be going back to the same spot on the new moon and grabbing another picture, trying to get some startrails in there this time.

Jack Alcock
Byron Bay

Roy ­ A. ­ Rust
352 posts
Gallery: 214 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by Roy A. Rust.

Apr 13, 2017 01:27 |  #3630

2cruise wrote in post #18325135 (external link)
I'm still struggling with the MW especially in regards with noise.

Zeiss Distagon @21mm | 15s. | f/2.8 | ISO 3200

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SsWR​c7  (external link) Early at Bodie Lighthouse (external link) by Whisle (external link)

Hey, Whisle...
I hope you don't mind, but I thought demonstrating this might be the best way to show you how I've figured out how to deal with bloated stars and noise. I took the liberty of downloaded your image and worked with it a bit to see what I could do, not only about the noise, but also to reduce the bloated stars. Having all the stars at the same apparent brightness is very distracting to me. Reducing the bloated stars makes the Milky Way and nebulae show up a lot better, without being covered with a bunch of oversized stars. I just discovered this tool a couple of weeks ago, and have been going back to some of my old images to see if it improves them. I think it makes a big improvement - and it's really simple.

I used Irfanview to make all the adjustments. Under "Image" is a tool called "Adobe 8BF Plugins" and under that is a plugin called "Harry's Filters", which can be used to reduce the size of stars, and some noise.

Under "Group" select "Noise", and under "FX:" select "Noise Reduction". The slider adjusts the amount of change you want. After reducing the star sizes, I switched to "Effects" under "Image", and selected "Blur" to reduce the noise even more. Then I went back to "Harry's Filters" and reduced the size of the stars a little more, by moving the slider a little more to the left. It takes some experimenting to determine where to set the slider, but after a bit of practice, it's very easy to make a big difference in the way the image looks.

BTW, unlike Photoshop and some of the other programs, Harry's Filters works best with images that have been reduced from full-size - like to post on here.

"Harry's Filters" works with most programs that are used to enhance images of all sorts, and it's free to download. I didn't need to download it - Irfanview apparently comes with it, and Irfanview is free, too.

Before I posted this, I Googled, "Harry's Filters", and found a bunch of links describing it and the programs it will work with.

This is what it looks like after I adjusted it as described above, compared with your original image. Again, I hope you don't mind me altering your image. If you do, just let me know, and I'll remove it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

917,293 views & 5,101 likes for this thread
Milkyway nightscapes
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.