Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Oct 2011 (Friday) 10:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Purchasing Camera: 50D or 60D?

pope953
158 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 21, 2011 10:58 |  #1

Alright everyone I need a little help. I currently use a Rebel XS and have started getting into photography more and more. I really need to upgrade my camera body because I shoot a lot of sports. I already have a good lens (Sigma 70-200 f/2.8) and really need to upgrade my body for better ISO quality and higher FPS. My question is, what will be more suitable for me, I still am technically new at this (only been shooting for about 11 months) and not sure what will better suit my needs.

I had been looking at a 40D but my budget can stretch for either a 50D or 60D. The thing is I was only looking at the 50D until I was told to look at a 60D because of the video. But I really dunno if I want/need it. Although if I had video I would use it so...

Thats why I need you all's opinion or say in this. Thanks in advance.

My Gear: 7D, Sigma 100-300 HSM f/4, Sigma 70-200 HSM f/2.8, Sigma 30mm HSM f/1.4, Canon 50mm II f/1.8, Canon 17-40L f/4, Rokinon 8mm f/3.5
My Marketplace Feedback here and here.

sponsored links
imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 21, 2011 11:54 |  #2

If you don't need video then I'd go for the 50D for the higher FPS unless you really want better ISO.

BLOG (external link)| flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 21, 2011 12:00 |  #3

Of course the 7D is out of your range, or I would definitely advise it for sports. I think if I were in your position I would get the 60D even though the 50d might be slightly better for sports, mainly because it is a more current camera and many people get by just fine with it on sports.

By the way, what sports are you photographing? If it is soccer or football you may find that the 70-200 isn't long enough. I know on soccer my 55-250mm is too short at times. However, for closer sports what a great lens that would be.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 21, 2011 13:10 |  #4

pope953 wrote in post #13284524 (external link)
I really need to upgrade my camera body because I shoot a lot of sports...I was told to look at a 60D because of the video.

Sports images from a Canon 60D.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Focal Length: 209.0mm
Aperture: f/5.0
Exposure Time: 0.0005 s (1/2000)
ISO equiv: 640
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Focal Length: 218.0mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 1250
Exposure Bias: none
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Focal Length: 135.0mm
Aperture: f/2.8
Exposure Time: 0.0013 s (1/800)
ISO equiv: 6400
Exposure Bias: +0.67 EV
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)

Many times, the 60D has been taken to sporting events and has had no problems generating images such as the ones above, with no shortcomings or difficulties.

jwp721
771 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 21, 2011 13:11 |  #5

If you had video and would use it and would like an articulating lcd screen then pick the 60D. If you don't care about video or an articulating screen and would like micro focus adjustment then pick the 50D. Both are good cameras but each has its own feature set that the other does not have....

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 21, 2011 13:43 as a reply to  @ jwp721's post |  #6

For an "enthusiast sports shooter" I would recommend the 60D without hesitation. AF is better than the 50D, ISO is better. Video is just a bonus. The difference in FPS has never been a big deal to me. I did miss the joystick in going from the 50 to the 60D, but if you are coming from a Rebel that will not matter to you.

pope953
THREAD ­ STARTER
158 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 21, 2011 13:52 |  #7

Thanks for the input everyone. I really like both, I like the options for the both. I think I would really enjoy having video, but don't really care for the articulating screen, I would much rather have just the regular back, but that's just my opinion. I need to go to Best Buy and hold the 60D and see what I think.

On the sports question from earlier, I shoot football, basketball, baseball and softball mainly. So the 200mm works out pretty well for me. I upgraded to the Sigma from a Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 so it was big upgrade in my optics. I know that I will be happy with either, but I need something that will really set one apart from the other.

What is the age range on the 2? i.e. how long have both of the camera's been on the shelf?

My Gear: 7D, Sigma 100-300 HSM f/4, Sigma 70-200 HSM f/2.8, Sigma 30mm HSM f/1.4, Canon 50mm II f/1.8, Canon 17-40L f/4, Rokinon 8mm f/3.5

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 21, 2011 16:11 |  #8

For what its worth, if you do video, the swivel screen will absolutely make a huge difference. It will make shooting video MUCH more enjoyable and less of a hassle.
I would def say 60d if video is likely at all. You'll be happy with either I'm sure thou!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

pope953
THREAD ­ STARTER
158 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 21, 2011 16:38 |  #9

Ok, I just thought of something, I have a good video camera (little Samsung digital or something of the sort) and don't use it at all. Can't remember the last time I went to use it. So that makes me feel even more like I won't need video.

Also 2 more things, I have realized that the 50D has the pc flash sync and the 60D doesn't, also the 50D uses CF cards for memory and the 60D uses regular SD cards. What is the better bet in that department?

Another thing, I have also read that the 50D is built stronger than the 60D?

shack
515 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 21, 2011 16:41 as a reply to  @ pope953's post |  #10

pope953 wrote:
I think I would really enjoy having video, but don't really care for the articulating screen, I would much rather have just the regular back, but that's just my opinion. I need to go to Best Buy and hold the 60D and see what I think.

I just went thorough the same excercise not too long ago and ended up with the 60D. I really did not care whether it had the video or not...but I really decided that I wanted as much current technology as possible. The 60D is already a year old. A few things I liked about the 60D prior to purchase were a higher resolution sensor, better metering, SD card, better battery life, wireless Speedlight control (a big factor), higher resolution LCD screen, 6400 ISO and better metering. I was ambivalent about the articualting screen...but it has actually been one of the best features of the cameral I LOVE IT! I have used it to get some photos that simply would not have been possible without it.

Newer technology and some key features sold me on the 60D and the articulating screen was a VERY pleasant suprise. Video I could do without...but I have it if I ever want it.

60D - EF 50mm f/1.8 - EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS - EF 300mm f/4 L - Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye - Canon Speedlite 430EX - PowerShot G12

"A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart, and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it; it is in one word, effective." - Irving Penn

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Oct 21, 2011 16:54 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #11

FWIW I didn't really like the ergonomics of the 60D--so it would be worthwhile to hold both.

Shooting sports is as much about technique as gear--until you need to shoot under the lights ;)

Check the threads about back button focus if it's something you currently don't use.

Don't get caught up in the mp race--I've been doing this since 4.1mp was a packed sensor--and printed @ any normal size that was plenty.

Age doen't mean much, The 40D is my camera of choice and I run them to well over 100k without a problem

Best of luck with your decision.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

shack
515 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 21, 2011 17:01 as a reply to  @ pope953's post |  #12

pope953 wrote:
Also 2 more things, I have realized that the 50D has the pc flash sync and the 60D doesn't, also the 50D uses CF cards for memory and the 60D uses regular SD cards. What is the better bet in that department?

It only matters if you are using wired flash sync...the remote will fire any the speedlights if that application works for you.

SD (and it variants) are where cards are going. I think that soon CF cards will be a thing of the past with smaller and smaller cards becoming the norm. SD also gives the camera makers room to put twin card slots where only one CF will fit. Nikon did this with the D7000...Canon should have with the 60D.

pope953 wrote:
Another thing, I have also read that the 50D is built stronger than the 60D?

The 50D has the magnesium alloy body with the 60D having an aluminium and polycarbonate resin body. As someone aptly put it to me, while the poly body of the 60D "might" crack before the mag body of the 50D...if you drop the camera with enough force to do so...there WILL be some damage inside the camera...either one. Some feel the body is plenty stong enough for all but the most demanding pros. I tend to agree.

60D - EF 50mm f/1.8 - EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS - EF 300mm f/4 L - Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 Fisheye - Canon Speedlite 430EX - PowerShot G12

"A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart, and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it; it is in one word, effective." - Irving Penn

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Oct 21, 2011 17:17 as a reply to  @ shack's post |  #13

If the PC sync is a big deal do a forum search on wireless triggers--I haven't used a wired connection in years.

The Wireless flash on a 60D is worthless for a sports shooter--In front of camera within a certain amount of degrees and dedicated units are way too restrictive and expensive.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 21, 2011 17:25 as a reply to  @ dave kadolph's post |  #14

60D is an easy recommendation. Why? Because you have not gotten used to the traditional x0D cameras yet. If you came from say 20d/30d/40d, then yes the ergonomics and the use of SD cards might irk you.

But from a rebel xs, the 60d as a camera is pretty good. One great feature is the flash commander. All you have to do then is pick up a slave Speedlite and you can have OCF! Apart from that, hdslr is good if you want to video a sequence. Swivel screen LCD allows for flexible photography.
In terms of IQ, I think they are about the same.

On the 50d's plus side, you get the wonderful x0d ergonomics and mag alloy build. It has micro adjust too. But only for Canon lenses IIRC.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

pope953
THREAD ­ STARTER
158 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 21, 2011 17:27 |  #15

shack wrote in post #13286381 (external link)
I just went thorough the same excercise not too long ago and ended up with the 60D. I really did not care whether it had the video or not...but I really decided that I wanted as much current technology as possible. The 60D is already a year old. A few things I liked about the 60D prior to purchase were a higher resolution sensor, better metering, SD card, better battery life, wireless Speedlight control (a big factor), higher resolution LCD screen, 6400 ISO and better metering. I was ambivalent about the articualting screen...but it has actually been one of the best features of the cameral I LOVE IT! I have used it to get some photos that simply would not have been possible without it.

Newer technology and some key features sold me on the 60D and the articulating screen was a VERY pleasant suprise. Video I could do without...but I have it if I ever want it.

Thanks for the input I definately need to go hold the 60D and see what I think.

dave kadolph wrote in post #13286442 (external link)
FWIW I didn't really like the ergonomics of the 60D--so it would be worthwhile to hold both.

Shooting sports is as much about technique as gear--until you need to shoot under the lights ;)

Check the threads about back button focus if it's something you currently don't use.

Don't get caught up in the mp race--I've been doing this since 4.1mp was a packed sensor--and printed @ any normal size that was plenty.

Age doen't mean much, The 40D is my camera of choice and I run them to well over 100k without a problem

Best of luck with your decision.

Thanks. My photo teacher is very avid that we know that MP doesn't really mean anything. He told us that a lot of people get caught up in it and thats what they make their decision on is MP. He said MP doesn't really matter until you go to start to make large prints. He pounds it in our head that all the WWII photos we have were mostly shot on a camera with about 4 MP.

I shoot under the lights quite a bit. Football and basketball. I was really hurting before I got my Sigma, I was shooting at IS0 800 with a shutter of about 1/100 or less and could not capture anything. The Sigma helped but I really need to up the ISO quality, the quality one my 1000D at 800 is pretty grainy.

I was very seriously considering the 40D until I did more research and found the 50D and 60D for nearly the same price brand new.

shack wrote in post #13286471 (external link)
It only matters if you are using wired flash sync...the remote will fire any the speedlights if that application works for you.

SD (and it variants) are where cards are going. I think that soon CF cards will be a thing of the past with smaller and smaller cards becoming the norm. SD also gives the camera makers room to put twin card slots where only one CF will fit. Nikon did this with the D7000...Canon should have with the 60D.

The 50D has the magnesium alloy body with the 60D having an aluminium and polycarbonate resin body. As someone aptly put it to me, while the poly body of the 60D "might" crack before the mag body of the 50D...if you drop the camera with enough force to do so...there WILL be some damage inside the camera...either one. Some feel the body is plenty stong enough for all but the most demanding pros. I tend to agree.

I wan't sure about the CF cards. So the SD cards are now the thing today?

So basically the body is about as tough as I let it be? As long as I take care of it and don't bump it or drop it, either bodies would work fine for me?

sponsored links

6,303 views & 0 likes for this thread
Purchasing Camera: 50D or 60D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.