Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 11:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to speed up Save For Web?

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 23, 2011 11:01 |  #1

Every time after i edited the raw file and Save For Web, the screen below takes awhile to finish loading. Although i have selected 50% in the circled areas but the selected value won't persist the next time i save for web again. Is there a way to configure Photoshop to save a smaller image size automatically each time i do Save For Web?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

sponsored links
Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,258 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Oct 23, 2011 16:02 |  #2

Save to Web is intended for small images - it will even warn you when you use a large image..

shrink the image in PS first

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 23, 2011 17:28 |  #3

Um, yea, you should be re-sizing it before you get to that point.

lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 23, 2011 18:18 |  #4

I dont resize before I get there. I save what ever I need from that screen, only takes a couple of seconds to load with a 5D II raw image.

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeek (external link)

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 23, 2011 18:27 |  #5

Re-sizing before allows you to adjust for loss of sharpening before export... and there is definitely a loss of sharpening from a full sized 21mp image down to web-ready size. ;)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 23, 2011 18:54 |  #6

Yup, if you want full sized files just use "Save As" and save the jpg.

Save for Web as has been said is intended for smaller images - most images on the web will be 1024 or less and <250K - just think POTN guidelines.

lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 23, 2011 18:58 |  #7

I can say I normally dont have to much of an issue with sharpening.

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeek (external link)

cfcRebel
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 23, 2011 22:58 |  #8

Yeah, my computer is not the fastest. It takes awhile to load up the preview (7D raw). I'll resize it before Save For Web. Thanks guys!

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,456 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 23, 2011 23:19 |  #9

Yes there is. Just create an action. Resize the image first then use save for web. If you don't want to stop at the resize point use File - Automate - Fit Image. If all your images are 800 on the long side for both vertical and horizontal orientation the enter 800 in both places.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 23, 2011 23:24 |  #10

I ignore the warning - I consistently use it as my final output step.

Usually saving pictures in the size of 1200 - 1600 wide. Its not optimized for it, but it works just fine. If you have to resharpen after resizing, you didn't do enough/didn't do it right.

No real lag on a Macbook pro w/8GB and 7D files.

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 23, 2011 23:24 |  #11

Resize to max say 1200 pixels on the longest side before you save for web. Anything bigger use save as.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 23, 2011 23:33 |  #12

LiberationFrequency wrote in post #13296091 (external link)
If you have to resharpen after resizing, you didn't do enough/didn't do it right.

Say what?! :lol: What about saving down to around 800px for, say, a blog... Or 720ish for Facebook? Anything changing that drastically definitely needs some additional unsharp to reflect what the final will truly look like. ;)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 24, 2011 04:33 |  #13

If you have to resharpen after resizing, you didn't do enough/didn't do it right.

If you don't have to resharpen after resizing, you did it too much and down-rezzing is taking the excess off (with a loss of quality). Or your taste runs to less than optimally sharpened images.

Elie / אלי

LiberationFrequency
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 24, 2011 12:49 |  #14

amonline wrote in post #13296115 (external link)
Say what?! :lol: What about saving down to around 800px for, say, a blog... Or 720ish for Facebook?

Facebook rapes all images anyway. Who blogs anymore?

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 24, 2011 13:09 |  #15

LiberationFrequency wrote in post #13298359 (external link)
Facebook rapes all images anyway. Who blogs anymore?

Professional photographers with paying customers? ;)

sponsored links

2,785 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to speed up Save For Web?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.