Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 13:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is wrong with my 50d...help please!

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 25, 2011 13:47 |  #1

I was involved in a lets just say water spray while changing a lens during a shoot. I then noticed round "dots" on photos with increased ISO. I took the camera in to a local Canon service shop and they cleaned the camera. I still get these dang spots. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

sponsored links
embassy
84 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 25, 2011 13:58 |  #2

sensor needs cleaning

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,953 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 25, 2011 14:04 |  #3

Doesn't look like a dirty sensor to me. Spots on the sensor are darker, not lighter.

I'm thinking flare. The direct flash here is very harsh. Can you show us a shot that has soft lighting?

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

karobinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 25, 2011 14:17 |  #4

This one shows it a lot better. And it only shows up when I use ISO of 400 or higher...gets worse the higher I go with ISO. Other photos shot at the same time with lower ISO does not have these spots.....thanks for trying to help me here....would just like to have more information when I take it in to have it cleaned it gets done properly.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 25, 2011 14:22 as a reply to  @ karobinson's post |  #5

Have to agree with number-six - that's not the result of a dirty sensor. Looks much more like flare. Did you get water splashes on either the front or rear element of your lens?

Steve.

Gear List

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,953 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 25, 2011 14:23 |  #6

Wow. That's pretty nasty, isn't it?

As I mentioned earlier, junk on the sensor shows up as dark spots, not light ones.

So I suggested flare, but I don't see any light source that would account for so many spots.

If you get this effect with all your lenses, it's obviously in the body. But I can't think where it might be. Flare occurs in the lens, not the body. Usually.

All I can suggest is you show them this second shot when you ask them to clean the camera.

Let us know what transpires, please. Interesting problem.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

karobinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 25, 2011 14:29 |  #7

Thanks .... will do.........

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 25, 2011 14:46 as a reply to  @ karobinson's post |  #8

Since the spots don't seem to be in the same places in the two photos shown, I'm wondering if it's the flash illuminating airborne dust particles.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 25, 2011 14:49 |  #9

Is this with all lenses, or just one lens?

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 25, 2011 14:49 |  #10

Water droplets wouldn't dry quite like "junk" on the sensor. Clean the sensor and at least eliminate that as a cause.

embassy
84 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 25, 2011 14:51 |  #11

can you take a plain picture without flash and see if its still there , have you tried any other lens ?

killeraxemannic
226 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 25, 2011 14:55 |  #12

Have you put the camera into manual cleaning mode and just looked at the sensor to see if you can see anything?

Is there a chance that whoever cleaned it just ripped you off and did not clean it?

Cameras: Canon EOS 60D, PowerShot Elph 330HS
Lenses: Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG

led ­ hed
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 25, 2011 15:11 |  #13

the higher and lower spots seem to be oblong and not circular, so what does that tell me? not much really, just that maybe whatever these are, they reside on a convex or concave surface.

hope you get it cleared up.

Rob - "a photographer is a painter, in a hurry!"
Canon 7D ~ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MKII ~ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon 430EX ~ Canon EF 2.0X III Telephoto Extender ~ Canon SX230 HS

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 25, 2011 15:40 |  #14

Ann. This is very fine mineral residue left when the water droplets have dried on the sensor. If you look at the double droplet, just left of centre bottom on the kitchen shot, the mark appears, albeit less clearly, on the other shot. Other marks also appear in the same positions, more or less distinctly. It may be that in camera processing has made it more apparent on high ISO but either take it back to the tech for a second attempt at cleaning the sensor or do it yourself for twenty dollars or so. I use Visible Dust swabs.

Edit... high ISO may also mean smaller aperture. Which means any spots on the sensor will be more distinct (because the spots are actually on the anti-alias filter, which is slightly in front of the sensor).

karobinson
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 25, 2011 15:58 |  #15

OK....figured it out............it was the flash......
Yes to all lens...this is why I assumed camera issue....
Flash off no issues.........no matter how high the ISO was....
Flash on.........oh there is my issue..........

Thank you everybody....this is why I suggest anyone who touches a camera should be a member of this forum..........you all rock...............

sponsored links

2,208 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is wrong with my 50d...help please!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.