Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 16:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ACLU Sues Los Angeles Sheriffs Dept

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

Oct 27, 2011 16:50 |  #1

http://latimesblogs.la​times.com/lanow/2011/1​0/aclu-sues-.html (external link)

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,314 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 27, 2011 17:32 |  #2

Are cops really so stupid that they think terrorists need a big honkin' DSLR with L glass to take pictures of potential targets?

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,565 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 27, 2011 17:58 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #3

Well the LASD is a bunch of jerks for the most part. I grew up in a LASD area and they are the biggest bunch of aholes. My opinion of the PD is the highest. They make big $$$ here in California and are jerks to the public.

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,565 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 27, 2011 18:02 |  #4

LAPD used to give spotters near LAX a bad time as well. That it was illegal or something to take pictures of planes landing at LAX.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,634 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 27, 2011 18:10 |  #5

Interesting that the LA Sheriff's Department still operates in this manner, in spite of the fact that the Federal Goverment has made it very clear that public buildings owned by the Federal Goverment are free to be photographed.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

S.Pham
38 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 27, 2011 21:05 |  #6

Man... they can't even go around and take pictures without the feeling of being watched.

**Canon T2i** **BG-E8 Battery Grip** **17-85mm f/4-5.6** **50mm 1.8** :cool:

paraphysis
74 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 27, 2011 21:21 |  #7

It's sad- really sad that this is an all too common occurrence. Wake up America!

7D & 1d mark IIn
70-200 2.8L, 200L, 135L, 35mm, 10-22mm and 1.4 TC
580 EXII

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,634 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 27, 2011 21:25 |  #8

Doesn't everyone feel so much safer than the police are monitoring these locations so thoroughly... while our news broadcasts and articles tell everyone how vulnerable all the other (listed in the broadcast/article) locations are to terrorist attacks?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,150 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 28, 2011 06:48 |  #9

mike_d wrote in post #13317095 (external link)
Are cops really so stupid that they think terrorists need a big honkin' DSLR with L glass to take pictures of potential targets?

Yes, they are. To be fair, not all. But yes, they are.

Nobody thinks with logic or common sense any more. The world is driven by emotion.

It never occurs to any in the enforcement field (not just cops) that a REAL terrorist is going to do his scouting and photographing as covertly and unconspicuously as possible, and is most certainly not going to be out there with a camera the size of a football, a tripod, cable release and a lens so large it takes a hoist to lift.

It's all an emotional response to the present times. They use no logic. They're idiots.

Website (external link) |

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,565 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 28, 2011 11:05 |  #10

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #13319517 (external link)
Yes, they are. To be fair, not all. But yes, they are.

Nobody thinks with logic or common sense any more. The world is driven by emotion.

It never occurs to any in the enforcement field (not just cops) that a REAL terrorist is going to do his scouting and photographing as covertly and unconspicuously as possible, and is most certainly not going to be out there with a camera the size of a football, a tripod, cable release and a lens so large it takes a hoist to lift.

It's all an emotional response to the present times. They use no logic. They're idiots.

Totally agree!!!! The cops have even arrested individuals who filmed them making arrests from across the street. The police in this country can do whatever they want a lot of times and get away with it.

I live in southern California so I have seen my share of it. We just recently had a homeless man beaten to death by the Fullerton Police and last weekend a man in Downey who was not involved in the robbery was shot and killed by the police.

imamonokey
32 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 28, 2011 12:01 |  #11

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 28, 2011 16:17 |  #12

Good Job by ACLU, i wonder if there is a way to sign up for notifications on court case.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 28, 2011 16:26 |  #13

S.Pham wrote in post #13317989 (external link)
Man... they can't even go around and take pictures without the feeling of being watched.

Watching people is their job, and there's nothing wrong with the police asking a few questions.

Detaining people without probable cause is something they shouldn't be doing.

We'll have to see how the case progresses, though I doubt it will have a major impact on how the law enforcement community deals with photographers.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,565 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 28, 2011 16:43 |  #14

Photographer arrested for "No Apparent Esthetic Value" (external link)

Just goggle and put see how many cases there are now of people being arrested by the police for taking pictures of them.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 29, 2011 12:58 as a reply to  @ seaninsa's post |  #15

All this BS about "protecting the public" and "suspicious activity" is just out of hand.

I want to know when it has been proven that a terrorist group has used DSLR's to photograph potential targets. I don't believe it has ever been found to happen. If someone was to take picture of a potential "target" then why use a big ass camera and stick out like a sore thumb when nearly every phone has a tiny camera built righ in now a days!

I have many officer friends and I have a great respect for those that wear the uniform but those that abuse their power and due stupid crap like this I have zero respect for. Educate yourself or take off the uniform. Being a bullie in the name of "counter terrerisum" is still being an uneducated bullie.

I hope the ACLU burn the hell out of any department that does crap like this. Just utter nonsense!

sponsored links

3,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
ACLU Sues Los Angeles Sheriffs Dept
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.