Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Oct 2011 (Saturday) 13:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My EOS story by Tete VERY LONG READ -

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 29, 2011 13:28 |  #1

I didn't know where to post this but because it has some impressions about EOS cameras I will leave it here. Move it if you feel it needs to be moved.

It's 1:36 am and I'm at work, A laboratory 30 minutes east of Phoenix. Not much going on so I thought i would share my tale of my photography story eventually leading to 7D to 5D transition Please be kind as I am no writer and will post this in the morning when I get home. This story will be on going as the 5D is still very new to me. But it doesn't take long to tell the difference between these two machines. I began shooting because the birth of my son. It wasn't an easy path for my wife and I so after 2 1/5 years of trying and finally getting our young family started i thought to myself, in a burning fire, other than my family what would I want to take with me if I had little time. Photos. So I went out and bought the best camera I could afford at the time, a nikon D200. I figured the better the camera the better the pictures would be in full auto. And they were for a guy with no photographic back ground.. I did alot of skateboarding video and stuff but never photo.

My son was born 5 weeks early, but healthy, and still required a stay in the NICU for 3 weeks. This was difficult for us but I was very happy to have quality photos of the entire experience. As It was probably some of the most difficult days of my life. A year would pass till the economic decline of our great nation took it's toll on my financial situation, which was good but turned to bad in about a week. That brought me out to Az to stay with family and the lighter cost of living compared to the So Cal community I was in a the time. I still had my family and faithful nikon. And my pictures. After the migration I re-enrolled in school and started a path that I am still on. However along the way, my wastoid brother picked up a nikon D40. This gem started something in him I had never seen. He read Ken Rockwell like it was the bible. Every possible post about every possible thing. Obsessed with cameras, film and digital. He would come out to visit and just bring a bunch of flashes he would get from garage sales and thrift shops or Craigslist. Eventually he infected me with the same desire, since we are best friends as it is, and I already had a great camera, the conversation was easy. I enrolled for a couple beginner courses at the community college and thus began my photo journey.

Shortly after my first course I decided while learning manual controls that the Nikon was too crammed for my hands. My brother in law who was a wedding photographer and taught photo had just moved back into the area and was shooting a canon 30D. I love the way it felt in my hands. The dials on back etc. just fit me better. But I thought I was a " Nikon" guy. After all, my big brother shot nikon and I already had a nice Nikon. But after feeling his Canon I was on the fence about what was best for me. While on that fence Micro 4/3rds really caught my attention. So I subscribed. I sold all my stuff, which was a 18-200 and my D200. yeah, all my stuff. lol. And pick up a Panasonic GF1 and a couple lenses. Loved it. it was small and took great photos and since I still had no real sense of having total control of a camera, it was a perfect camera to learn on. and it taught me alot . the visual adjustments. made it easier for me to understand aperture and shutter speed and the relation to photo, as the screen would show the effects after making adjustments so you could tell if it would over or under expose. I bought a few more lenses and love the video that came out of these small sensors. Pretty amazing. My brother who now was shooting with alien bees and a nikon D300 would always give me sh!t. Nice cell phone camera. When are you going to get a real camera? You can't shoot with those etc. That shutter sounds like it's broke etc.. But I continued, I wouldn't give up on this system, not yet at least.

But then my second son came. Much easier this time. and my first was growing, he was fast and I found myself having blurry photos. And when I would go down to the city for street photography, my good pics were few and far between. The constant motion and lighting made it difficult. Having No viewfinder and a glossy screen was no place for photography. So i decided to sell 2 of my 3 micro 4/3 cameras. But I wouldn't let my GF1 go. And I still haven't. Love that little camera.
In comes the 7D. after searching and searching it made the most sense. Super fast, super good video and stills. Ergonomics I knew I would like and no more bullsh!t from my brother. No more cell phone camera jokes by my brother. At this point he was making money doing photo. bands, models, head shots, hollywood all the time. He was now shooting a Full Frame Camera Nikon D700 and had more lights than Vegas. Strobist to the max, and all kinds of stuff hangin off his camera. Looked like a Christmas tree with shiny ornaments all over it. His hair larger than life, hiding behind lenses and flashes everywhere. But he was doing it. 2 years into photography and he's making his money that way. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Here i am, a little different, doing alot of street photography and more fine art type stuff. I begin buying a couple film cameras and fall in love with them, loving my rangefinder the most. Learning more and more about other photographers and grabbing some influences and blatantly stealing ideas. it's ok im still learning. I continue to take courses and meet a young teacher that has now become a close friend. We shoot often and he shoots canon as well which is nice because my brother still gives me crap about canon.

The next 10 months are formative. I shoot a ton. always living by the motto " the best camera is the one you have on you". So anything from cell phone, to film, to Micro 4/3 to Canon 7D. anything I can. buildings, dogs, street, snow . anything. In time my collection has grown a bit. I learn to shoot manual really fast on all my cameras. My friend convinces someone to show my pictures in a gallery for a month. It was a cool summer. Inspiring for sure. End of summer comes and I see my brothers stuff ,wow, he's getting really good. perfect light and exposures. getting better jobs shooting stuff he enjoys, and then there I am, shooting a ton, enjoying it as well. But then I start to do Post. I get lightroom and for the first time I am doing post processing. And this is where I am these days. Some people will laugh but I would shoot all this stuff and shoot until I got an image I felt was good and that would be it, file it and or print it. Mail it off to a friend or just stare at it till I got sick of it. No post, up until now.

5D

I'm broke. 2 kids and a low paying job and a stay at home wife, and full time student. Living in 900 sq ft make shift apt , with blackie ( our black cat ) and our two dachshund minis. Not as bad as it sounds but when people around here act like getting another lens is easy, or stepping it up is easy, then more power to them, but no power to me. So I have acquired a couple decent lenses over time. A 70-200mm L f4 and then a 24-105mm L and selling the former. So i am shooting a ton and looking at these in light room which has a zoom feature. it's nice and all but also make me obsessed with super sharp images and such. the little details that had never bothered me before now drive me insane. Noise, CA, distortion etc.. all of it bothers me. I'd go to the museum and there are photos by the likes of Gregory Crewdson, Gordon Parks, and many others. I love them all. Inspired and broke I decide to sell off a bunch of stuff and go full frame. I've used my brothers camera and seen my friends images up close enough to know there is a difference in image quality for the projects and goals I'd like to accomplish. I also learned very quickly that my 7D was an amazing camera. And after using them both I would put them in the same basket in terms of overall camera, just different purposes.

I've only owned my own 5D for 24 hours. yep 24 :oops:. but in those 24hrs I've spent 5 hours playing with this thing and I've learned few things quickly. I knew some of these things prior to, from my experiences with other peoples equipment. The 5D is slow. Slow when compared to the 7D in every way. The 7D screams fast. The dials, quick menu, accessibility, continuous shooting, feedback, focusing. etc.. Everything about it is fast feeling. The 5D, well is chunky feeling. The shutter feels heavier and has a positive feel, where the 7D feels light and fast. quieter. neither of these are bad, they are just different. Certainly the size I imagine would have something to do with it. The menu isn't as smooth and little things aren't a well thought out on the 5D ( but the 5D is older so it makes sense ) . Think on off switch. On the 7D it is better positioned. But then u get to the images and everything changes. The wide feel. The depth and clarity. The dimension. 5D images seem to Just pop out. The insane high ISO performance. And the viewfinder, now that thing is like looking out a window of an airplane. That alone is worth it. My brother calls it pro. "Dude you got a pro camera now, you're pro"!! And we both laugh. We both know it's silly but it's all in good fun. Any camera is a pro camera in a pros hands. I think it's his way of saying I'm taking it serious. And it's also my way of agreeing. Because I feel this is the best camera for the goals I have. I think I'll work on being a pro father , husband , and friend and hope the rest falls in to place.

Tete

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

sponsored links
wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 29, 2011 14:09 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

How about a paragraph, Tete?

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

SpeedyGoo
242 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 29, 2011 14:14 |  #3

nice story, hope the rest does fall into place for you

Littlefield
Goldmember
1,763 posts
Gallery: 359 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 29, 2011 14:18 |  #4

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13325385 (external link)
How about a paragraph, Tete?

bw!
But it is cool and nice that you can learn and talk about photography with pros, your brother and brother-in law.

dylshi
29 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 29, 2011 14:27 as a reply to  @ wfarrell4's post |  #5

Thank you for sharing.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 29, 2011 14:50 as a reply to  @ dylshi's post |  #6

Yeah, thanks for sharing your story with us! Quite a journey indeed!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Arteel
439 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 29, 2011 14:53 |  #7

Although a bit difficult to read do to lack of paragraphs, I enjoyed it. :)

5Dc | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8L IS
-Ryan

miguelr
473 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 29, 2011 15:11 |  #8

Nice read.

miguelrphoto.com (external link)
flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 29, 2011 16:13 |  #9

tete, thanks for sharing -- you've been moving forward in tough times!

One suggestion -- when typing out something like this I'd advise putting line breaks between your paragraphs -- it makes for easier reading! Doing a quick edit on your post could help the next people who look at this!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,930 posts
Gallery: 1740 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Oct 29, 2011 17:11 |  #10

I feel like I got slapped by a wall of text.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Alex_Venom
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 29, 2011 17:16 |  #11

Nice reading! I really enjoyed knowing your story and how photography took place in your life! Congratulations!

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

image ­ monster
460 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 29, 2011 18:58 |  #12

tete wrote in post #13325238 (external link)
And the viewfinder, now that thing is like looking out a window of an airplane. That alone is worth it.

I like this part right here. I can't wait for that moment when my 5D comes in and I look through that view finder. Thanks for sharing!

6D | 5Dc | X100V | 16-35L F4 IS | 40 2.8 STM | 50 1.8 STM | 135L | 70-300L IS |
Gear

tete
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 29, 2011 23:46 |  #13

Sorry about the typos and bad overall grammar. I tried to fix it. Thanks for the response. I thought I would share. Its ok I think, as some of these things people are afraid to share but I think it may help others in a similiar scenario. Perhaps the best part about this is my family is very happy, I am fortunate enough to have a wife who can stay home w my boys. I might not own the best glass and have the best setup but I'm stoked on life. Yeah it's a grind but it's a grind I gladly do.

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 29, 2011 23:54 |  #14

Great story. As long as getting a new body or lens doesn't mean you can't afford the necessities of life all is good.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

tete
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 30, 2011 00:10 |  #15

Snapped this little guy tonight. I am amazed how well this shoots in the dark, pretty remarkable.

IMAGE: http://i42.tinypic.com/xqid14.jpg

f2.0 125 1000 ISO ( I sized it down quite a bit for the export.)
I'm trying to learn how to shoot in Tv as well as Av more as I believe its just more efficient than the manual shooting I usually do. Also these cameras are to fast and smart to not take advantage.

I read the M is for moron thread. and also reading how many people hear shoot in Av mode to much success.

thanks
Tete

sponsored links

2,751 views & 0 likes for this thread
My EOS story by Tete VERY LONG READ -
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.