Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Oct 2011 (Monday) 16:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5Dc Mirror Fix Experience with the Irvine center?

tsong
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 31, 2011 16:42 |  #1

I just got my 5D a couple weeks ago, and yesterday noticed the mirror was not "fixed". Emailed Canon yesterday, got my shipping label and such to do everything.

Just wondering, did they clean yours with the fix for free at Irvine? Also, to request an actuation count, do you just write it down on the slip?

I just wanna hear some experiences, so let me know if you've had any at Irvine!

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,504 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 31, 2011 18:38 |  #2

I had mine fixed a couple of months ago at Irvine. Mine had not failed but they performed the service anyway and cleaned the camera for free. I dropped mine off in person and the guy just took in in back for a minute and came back with the shutter count. The turn around time was 2 days.

diabolus
90 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 31, 2011 18:39 |  #3

^ Same experience as above. They cleaned mine for free and gave me the shutter count (didn't even have to ask). Turnaround time was very quick as well.

EOS 5DII | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 1.4x II TC | 580EX II

tacoman1423
155 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 31, 2011 18:52 |  #4

I actually brought mine to the Irvine Center a couple months back and requested a Mirror Fix on my 5d. And guess what, they told me that since it was over 100k (over the shutter's estimated life), they could not do it. They gave me a shutter count of about 127k. They offered for a Shutter and mirror box service, but I turned it down. I found out why they offered a mirror box service 20k shots latter. What ever returns the mirror to its initial position had given up on my 5d, but the shutter still worked and still took images. I guess there are parts they replace in the mirror box @ the same time they replace a shutter.

Averion Photography (external link)
FLICKR (external link)

tsong
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 31, 2011 20:57 |  #5

Ah, ok, thanks for the responses guys.

Just dropped off my camera to the UPS store a couple hours ago, dunno when it's gonna be leaving, but at least it's only about an hour and a half away.

The Canon rep told me at the moment, it would take around 13 days, I've been reading random posts I found through Google, and in a lot of cases, it's usually a lot faster, so I'm hoping for the same.

This also reminds me, there was also a recall on my car... Haha...

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,504 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 31, 2011 21:31 |  #6

tsong wrote in post #13335121 (external link)
The Canon rep told me at the moment, it would take around 13 days, I've been reading random posts I found through Google, and in a lot of cases, it's usually a lot faster, so I'm hoping for the same.

When I dropped mine off, the guy said they estimate 5-7 business days (or something like that) but its usually quicker. I think Canon just officially estimates high to cover random internal backups and shipping delays.

sponsored links

1,134 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5Dc Mirror Fix Experience with the Irvine center?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.