Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So thinking about picking up a G12

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 02, 2011 21:27 |  #1

Mainly the G12 would be to keep around when the bigger stuff is not with me - but should be good enough to get a decent photo of something interesting should I come across it.

Can someone explain why this:

http://www.adorama.com​/ICAG12B.html (external link)

Is cheaper than just the camera by itself?

http://www.adorama.com​/ICAG12.html (external link)

I would likely get the package thing and then throw all that extra useless crap away.

Gear List

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,140 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 02, 2011 21:44 |  #2

adorama has a kit deal on the s95 that is cheaper than buying a refurb! i think it's a sucker's test :D.

i picked up the s95 today for $335. i thought about the g12 but i think it's a dated camera. a body that size should have a bigger sensor.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

eyalg
583 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 03, 2011 01:58 |  #3

The G12 is, indeed, losing points as newer cameras hit the market,
like the S100, with its CMOS sensor and the DIGIC V processor.
This doesn't make the G12 obsolete. It's still an amazing camera.

Regarding the price - it says "Item on Special" beneath the camera images.
I wouldn't throw away an 8GB SD card, a card reader and a lens cleaning kit.
Oh, and it also comes with a spare battery. Dude - that's a nice deal.

-eyalg

My Digital Camera Guide - www.eyalg.com (external link)

Numenorean
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 03, 2011 10:33 |  #4

eyalg wrote in post #13346471 (external link)
The G12 is, indeed, losing points as newer cameras hit the market,
like the S100, with its CMOS sensor and the DIGIC V processor.
This doesn't make the G12 obsolete. It's still an amazing camera.

Regarding the price - it says "Item on Special" beneath the camera images.
I wouldn't throw away an 8GB SD card, a card reader and a lens cleaning kit.
Oh, and it also comes with a spare battery. Dude - that's a nice deal.

-eyalg

The SD card might be okay. The card reader is crap. Lens cleaning kit is crap I'm sure, and I have much better cleaning stuff already anyway. The spare battery is not a Canon and I don't trust the brand so I probably won't use it in the camera.

The S100 is too small for me. I also looked at the SX40 but was not that impressed with the quality.

Gear List

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 05, 2011 10:42 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I'm on my second G12, and the sensor went south (which also happened on the first one) yesterday. The camera's not even a year old.

A buddy is offering me a G11 for $175.00 but, at this point, I'm wary...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 06, 2011 15:44 |  #6

BreitlingFan wrote in post #13357264 (external link)
I'm on my second G12, and the sensor went south (which also happened on the first one) yesterday. The camera's not even a year old.

A buddy is offering me a G11 for $175.00 but, at this point, I'm wary...

I'm really sorry to hear that. I enjoy your posts and photos. I had date/time reminder prompts on 2 G11's. Chose another camera, and have since replaced that (Pany LX5)

I've looked at the Nikon P7000 and P7100. I've been tempted but haven't taken my wallet out. My Nikon S9100 P&S choice--2 times! was regretted. Gone now.

I didn't have any luck understanding why my G11 failed, and getting a solution--until I posted here, Facebook and twitter.

Good luck!

Dave

Dave

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 06, 2011 15:50 |  #7

Here is a link to the Facebook group for the G12. Perhaps it would help spreading the news.
edit: sorry! Missing link...
Hope your vendor provides a full credit to a new camera!

Wasn't your first failure during a trip? That would be frustrating!

Dave

commit ­ confirm
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 16, 2011 06:41 |  #8

I love my G12 - compared to the s95 they are essencialy the same camera inside. The major difference being the G12 has a hot shoe adapter (which I think makes it an ideal back up camera), the articulating LCD and hard dials.

The thing I like most about the G12 is all the dials. It might just be me but the geek/techie in me likes having a dedicated button and dial for each function. The s95 requires you to dive into the menues.

The only thing the S95 has in its favor to me is the S95 is a much better choice for underwater photography. The lens on the G12 is to wide for people like inon to make a macro and wide angle lens.

7D | G12 | 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM | 100 f/2.8 L Macro | 70-200 f/2.8 L mk2 | 50mm f/1.4 | 270EX II | 430EX II
Likes: Low light, UW, time lapse, panoramic, street and moody b+w

ronin67
42 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 16, 2011 08:19 |  #9

commit confirm wrote in post #13406760 (external link)
I love my G12 - compared to the s95 they are essencialy the same camera inside. The major difference being the G12 has a hot shoe adapter (which I think makes it an ideal back up camera), the articulating LCD and hard dials.

The thing I like most about the G12 is all the dials. It might just be me but the geek/techie in me likes having a dedicated button and dial for each function. The s95 requires you to dive into the menues.

The only thing the S95 has in its favor to me is the S95 is a much better choice for underwater photography. The lens on the G12 is to wide for people like inon to make a macro and wide angle lens.

Agreed. I love all the external dials on the G12 also. I also have the Nikon P7000 and to be honest the G12 has a better color in low light. The Nikon has very quick focusing in brighter light and the x2 extra Xoom is better then the G12. Everything else, the G12 edges out the P7000. Now the new Nikon P7100 looks very promising. I can't wait to see what the G12's replacement will be. Maybe called the G13? It should be pretty amazing, since the G12 is a awesome camera.

May God bless.

Ed

Current Cameras:
Olympus E300
Canon 7D Mark II
Pentax MX-1 (silver edition)

alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 11, 2011 23:49 |  #10

commit confirm wrote in post #13406760 (external link)
The only thing the S95 has in its favor to me is the S95 is a much better choice for underwater photography.

Can you elaborate on this a little? I'm on the fence about getting a new G12 and Canon's underwater case.

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

3,205 views & 0 likes for this thread
So thinking about picking up a G12
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.