Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 10:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need your advice.

nub4sh
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 03, 2011 10:03 |  #1

Well, as you can see, I posted here in this section for me to ask an advice from you all regarding purchasing a lens. Before I say what I want to buy, ill let you know first about me, well not exactly me, but my interest in photography.

First of all, I am no professional, so I only do this a hobby of mine which is i'm interested in. When I started taking some interest in photography, I was interested in doing landscape photography, in which i've learned all the basics. And now, when I browsed my pictures, I see a lot of portraits and street photography and family sets. It seems that my interests shifted from landscapes to portraiture.

As for my gear, I have a 7D with grip, 50mm 1.8 II, and a Sigma 10-20 f3.5. Now, I use them both when I walk around or do some amateur works. I love to use the nifty fifty for my portraiture work and I was thinking that I can do more with a new lens.

Secondly, I came here in PoTN to read and read and read reviews of the lenses that I want to purchase. And the thing is I want to buy my first L lens in which I'll enjoy and feel no regrets at the end. I've narrowed down the list of the lens that I want to buy and in this case I want your advice before I jump on the big guns. :)

1. 85mm f1.2L II, what can you say, its the best lens there is and ive seen a lot of reviews and sample pictures which are stunningly amazing. I heard that AF is not that fast and some of the people here says that they're not bothered with it. As I have a 7D, 85mm is equivalent to 135mm which is more of a telephoto lens and I know I need to move back a little more to do some full body portraits.

2. 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, I heard very little (or maybe a minuscule) complains about this lens apart from its big and heavy. Very tack sharp wide open and 85mm is within the focal range of this lens. For my crop body, its equivalent to 112-320mm. Though im not bothered on moving back when doing some outdoor stuff, indoors would be a problem.

3. 24-70mm f2.8L, well as I dont have any walk around, all purpose lens, would this be a better choice for me taking in mind on my photography interest. I know this lens doesnt compare to both what Ive mentioned above but Ive seen reviews and sample pictures and people are contented with it.

Lastly, if your going to ask me about my budget, I dont have any problems with it as of the moment. Hence, the thought of purchasing a new lens. I am really torn in this matter. I know you guys would say that I'll go for whats best for me but the thing is I dont know which one is which. Thats why im here to ask for an expert advice from you guys.

5D Mark 3 | 7D + gripped | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II | Canon 35 f1.4L | Canon 50 f1.8 II

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,287 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 03, 2011 10:15 |  #2

Of the options I would suggest the 70-200. The 85 is great, but its a huge investment for someone who wants to get their first L, and it only does one thing well (portraits). The 24-70 is a great lens, but on a crop its not all that wide, and still 2.8 without IS. Its a great event lens, that also makes nice portraits, but I'd go with the longer zoom for your needs.

M ­ coop
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 03, 2011 10:20 |  #3

24-70 That range seems to be more practical in terms of what you need. while the 70-200 is great, if it were me, Id go with the shorter FL. 70-200 would be the next step. hope that helps.

EOSBoy
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2011 10:25 |  #4

Since you'll be moving back in either situation with those lenses besides the 24-70, I'd go for the 85mm. The 70-200 is a little more versatile but can you see yourself bringing that lens out all the time? I don't know about you but lugging that around on an evening stroll would draw unnecessary attention and weight. Since you want something to do portraits with, you can't go wrong with primes. :)

I've shot with the 70-200 and you have to be quite far back if you want to achieve similar results as the 85mm wide open. Personally, I prefer primes so what it really comes down to is what focal length/aperture feels comfortable with your shooting style. Also consider how comfortable you feel with being far away from your subjects when shooting. You may find yourself shouting directions...

http://patrickengman.c​om (external link)
Instagram: brotherly_dove
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar

tjketa
367 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 03, 2011 10:36 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I know it's overstating the obvious, but this is like asking the Duggars which one of their kids is their favorite. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Like the other posters have said here, you really need to decide what is the best choice for you. Since it sounds like money isn't a big barrier, you might want to consider buying a used lens first off here and see how it works for you. If it turns out it wasn't the best choice for you, it could be sold for a similar price that you paid for it as opposed to buying it new. Good luck in trying to achieve a solution.

Tom

Gear: 7D, 5D Mk II, 17-55mm f/2.8, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/4L IS

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 03, 2011 10:38 |  #6

I've got the 85L here and a 7D, I've had the 85 almost a year and used it maybe twice. It just doesn't see a lot of use for what I photograph. I've also got the 70-200 2.8, it is used quite a bit and is a very versatile lens. I'd recommend the 70-200 2.8.

TheBigDog
Goldmember
2,063 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 03, 2011 10:48 |  #7

You've stated that you want to get your first L lens, but is there any other reason why you are not considering the 17-55 f/2.8?
You get the wide focal range, sure it's a little short compared to the 24-70, but you add IS to the mix and keep the 2.8. So really the only thing you're missing is a little extra reach and the red ring. Granted I've never shot the 24-70 so I can't really compare the IQ of it to the 17-55, but I know my copy of the 17-55 is pretty good. That being said I have been toying around with the idea of getting the 24-70, but it would be for my 5DMk2 body, not the 7D.

Christian
http://www.cegphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
Member, Full Disc Aviation (external link)
Flickr (external link) * Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)Aviation Instagram (external link)

nub4sh
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 03, 2011 10:59 |  #8

Well, seems each one of you have their different opinions and I appreciate it all. I know its hard to decide on which one. If I only have the budget for all those 3 lenses, I wouldn't ask here anymore. :)

The thing is, I just need one of those that suits my interest. I have tried and used the 24-70 before, I rented it and used it for a wedding so I know how its like. As for buying used ones, im not sure im into it because I dont usually sell what I have, i'd rather keep it than sell it. Thus, buying things such this lenses is an investment for me.

@rick, hows 85L on your 7D performing? How do you like the FL?

5D Mark 3 | 7D + gripped | Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS II | Canon 35 f1.4L | Canon 50 f1.8 II

nub4sh
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 03, 2011 11:03 |  #9

TheBigDog wrote in post #13347712 (external link)
You've stated that you want to get your first L lens, but is there any other reason why you are not considering the 17-55 f/2.8?
You get the wide focal range, sure it's a little short compared to the 24-70, but you add IS to the mix and keep the 2.8. So really the only thing you're missing is a little extra reach and the red ring. Granted I've never shot the 24-70 so I can't really compare the IQ of it to the 17-55, but I know my copy of the 17-55 is pretty good. That being said I have been toying around with the idea of getting the 24-70, but it would be for my 5DMk2 body, not the 7D.

Yes, but im considering an upgrade to a FF in the near future. Correct me if im wrong, you cant use EF-S lenses on a FF?

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 03, 2011 11:04 |  #10

nub4sh wrote in post #13347791 (external link)
Yes, but im considering an upgrade to a FF in the near future. Correct me if im wrong, you cant use EF-S lenses on a FF?

You can, for example the 10-22 is used on FF bodies with very good results. It takes some minor lens modification and you need to be careful.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,287 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 03, 2011 11:25 |  #11

rick_reno wrote in post #13347805 (external link)
You can, for example the 10-22 is used on FF bodies with very good results. It takes some minor lens modification and you need to be careful.

Or you can sell the 10-22 and buy a 17-40 for about the same price.

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 03, 2011 11:28 |  #12

Since you're considering going FF in the future and if you must insist on getting an L then I would personally go for the 70-200.

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

thrash_273
Goldmember
4,901 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 03, 2011 11:32 |  #13

for portraits 85 is the way to go (for my style) but 70-200 2.8 is MKII is amazing as well

Ben
flickr (external link)
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More
a6000 | Pentax SMC 50 1.7 | Rok 8 2.8 Fe | Sony 50 1.8

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 03, 2011 12:37 |  #14

If I were you, I'd first decide if you want to shoot with a zoom or with prime lenses.

A zoom is bigger, more intrusive in candid/family situations, larger and heavier to carry, and the fastest you'll get is f2.8. But, zooms are convenient... sometimes even necessary when you can't move around or are dealing with a fast moving subject (little kid, pet, etc.).

Since you already have 10-22, a 24-70 would complement it nicely. In the case of a zoom, yes I'd probably look for an L-series for the quality, build, sealing against dust.

The 24-70/2.8 is a pretty big lens though... and it's hood is huge (it has to be, you'll see why when you see how the lens zooms).

The 70-200/2.8 is a super lens! Shooting sports, it's my most used lens. But, yes, it's big and heavy. But IQ is excellent for a zoom, it's built as a real workhorse and pretty well sealed against dust and moisture. However, you certainly won't sneak up on anyone with it,... It's not easy to get a candid shot of someone, when the lens is screaming "I'm taking your picture" to them!

If you enjoy shooting with prime lenses such as your 50/1.8, then you might want to take another approach: More is better. One big, heavy, expensive L-series might not be the ideal choice. For example, for about the same money as 85/1.2L, you could get at least three lenses: 28/1.8, upgrade to 50/1.4, and get 85/1.8 (or 100/2). These lenses are smaller, far less intimidating for non-professional model portraiture, and more unobtrusive for street photography. Also you can expect these lenses to focus faster in many situations...

The 85/1.2L and 50/1.2L are fantastic lenses and probably would be my top choices for studio portraiture. They would also be great for professional wedding photography. However, by design they focus slower (for greater accuracy) and in order to offer such large aperture are quite big and heavy.

If you think you are totally set on these lenses, I would strongly suggest - if at all possible - rent and try before you buy. It wouldn't be a bad idea to rent and try the 24-70 and 70-200, too, before you commit to buying.

Shooting with primes, you may want a small suite of lenses to cover different situations. For portraits, street shooting, general purpose... I use the 28/1.8, 50/1.4 and 85/1.8... plus, a bit more rarely, 20/2.8 and 135/2 (the latter I tend to use more on FF).

When you have a few moderately fast primes at your disposal, you might also want a zoom for other types of shooting, but may be able to get by with a more compact f4 lens instead... such as the 70-200/4L IS. It's an excellent lens, a lot more portable than the f2.8 version. It's still fairly intrusive, though.

Overall, I just suggest don't get hung up on the "L" designation. Often other lenses can meet one's needs better. I hardly give it any consideration when shopping for a lens, whether or not the lens has a red stripe painted on it. Maybe with a zoom, I'm more inclined to look at an L series for it's build, extra sealing, durability... But not so much with prime lenses. Ten years shooting with Canon and building up my lens kit, I've ended up with some L's, as well as a number of lenses that aren't L's and meet my needs just fine.

Don't worry too much now about future plans or hopes to "go FF". Get the lenses you need to shoot what you want to shoot with the camera you have now. Sure, if you have a choice of two lenses... one EF and the other EF-S... it might be best to go with the EF "just in case"... But buying an EF-S lens isn't a big deal either... You can always sell and replace it, if and when you do get a FF camera.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

nub4sh
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 04, 2011 15:56 |  #15

Wow. Thanks guys for the inputs that you've shared.

I just want you to know that i've just ordered a 70-200 f2.8L II and I cannot describe what im feeling. Im excited! Cant wait to arrive at my doorstep. :D

sponsored links

1,682 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need your advice.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.