Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 04 Nov 2011 (Friday) 10:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before & After 390

Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 04, 2011 10:31 |  #1

The game will last 7 Days and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

What I'm looking for: No expectations from me, I bought a fader ND filter last week had to go try it out, This is one of the blah shots I got

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only.

Also, please keep all comments, be they positive or negative, to yourself until after the game has ended.

If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #390."

Ends friday, November 11rd, 8 am MST

click on photo will take you to flikr to download original

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6223/6311941915_1a61cfe18b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/08photog/631194​1915/  (external link)
IMG_2582 (external link) by 08photog (external link), on Flickr

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
T3 ­ Heavy ­ Shop
602 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 04, 2011 13:28 |  #2

IMAGE: http://www.disposablepengun.com/postings/388.jpg

LR history below. Most of the time was spent on the crop using various Golden Spiral overlays (Shift+o to cycle them) to line up the waterfall tops in an arc.
Exported to PS5 to resize. I wanted cool tones, but my monitor is not calibrated so I used the auto color function because I have been told my pics tend to have a blue cast.
IMAGE: http://www.disposablepengun.com/postings/389.jpg

I've always been a photographer, but I haven't always had a camera.
6D MII, 7D MII, EOS-M50, EOS-M, 5D MII(IR 830), EOS-M(IR 720)

Lore
Damn I failed the goat
2,961 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 04, 2011 15:42 as a reply to  @ T3 Heavy Shop's post |  #3

curves, channel mixer, new layer desaturate, lighten opacity, erase in green areas, merge layers, desaturate water area, new layer add sunflare & fog, merge layers, resize.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

BeforeAfter390 (external link) by lorephoto (external link), on Flickr

Lore
flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Blography (external link)
"Every photograph tells a story, What's your story?"

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 06, 2011 12:21 |  #4

IMAGE: http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/dougle/POTN/3waterfalls.jpg

Opened in camera raw and tweaked a bunch of settings in the main tab.
Increased saturation of reds, yellows, oranges, decreased saturation of the aqua and blue.
Increased the luminance of the reds, oranges, decreased the luminance of the yellows, greens, aquas, blues and magentas. Added a very slight vignette in the raw lens correction section.
Transfered to PS3, duplicated layer, using the channels tab I created a luminosity selection and went back to the layers tab and made a mask from it. Inverted the mask and tweaked it with levels to hide all the lighter areas from an aggressive unsharp mask and set this layer to luminosity blend mode.

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,596 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 06, 2011 16:06 |  #5

Increased exposure in ACR and highlight recovery. Pushed blacks to 6. In CS4, increased exposure and contrast. Converted to B&W, added new 50% grey layer and painted back the water, darkened trees, smart sharpened and stroke.

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

SimplyEuphoric
56 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 06, 2011 22:56 |  #6

Tighter crop, played around with curves, added soft glow.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i3.photobucket.​com …/Horse_CrAZy18/​after1.jpg (external link)

Amidst a conversation about her past as an established equestrian, we drove by a wonderful barn filled with horses. I watched as she swiftly unrolled her window and took a deep breath through her nose, letting the sweet aroma fill her lungs. A true horsewoman, I thought. EOS Rebel T3

Iancentric
THREAD ­ STARTER
714 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 11, 2011 13:36 |  #7

I asked my daughter the artist in the family to pick a winner. She picked NigelD

I really like all of these versions of my shot, they all bring something different to the table. Thanks

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 11, 2011 14:06 |  #8

Congrats Nigel and nice edits everybody!

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,596 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 11, 2011 16:40 |  #9

Thanks very much Ian & daughter - some great edits there.

B&A391 is up and running.

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,543 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before & After 390
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.